The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#4301 Post by Adam Noble »

Thank Kris. Haven’t seen it either. Heard mixed reviews.

Andrew Kotowski

#4302 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Ezra 7 was fantastic, imho, and is up there with EC BP for me. Not as excited about the Blood Oath 7, all things being equal (specifically the price point).

Continue to find EHT Small Batch in Amazon for $49 on a weekly basis. Barrel proof appears to be all over OR, but it’s a ghost in WA state… and I’ve been looking pretty aggressively :(

Have been more focused on drinking down inventory, rather than buying lately. Picked up a 13 year Bull Run conditioned in cab barrels (Westmoreland store pick) that has been my pour of the month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4303 Post by Mike Maguire »

Kris Patten wrote: August 16th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Adam Noble wrote: August 16th, 2021, 11:48 am
Kris Patten wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:06 am

Still not cool...we get Blanton's monthly allotments, EH Taylor quarterly, harder to find EH a couple times a year, Weller 2-3x a year, and BTAC 1x a year.
Kris-separate question. Have you tried the Russell’s Reserve 13?
Have not, don't think I have seen one in wild, will see what I can find.....been busy setting up Luxco, so now I have Old Ezra 7, Rebel, Minor Case, Blood Oath, Yellowstone, and the MGPI brands like Remus and Rossville. Trying to taste all of them is my priority in August.
Have some Remus coming this week, reg. Bourbon and Repeal Res. V. Can’t wait to try them.

Opened the entry level bourbon $40, a little hot initially but mellowed quickly into a brown sugar forward pour, rea lily nice.I would recommend letting it sit in the glass for a few minutes til the alcohol blows off, you will be rewarded with a delicious bourbon.Solid buy!
Last edited by Mike Maguire on August 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Swingle

#4304 Post by S.Swingle »

Mel, that's my usual selection as well. It's great value for the price but browsing everyone else's picks has me itching for something new.
Seiji S.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4305 Post by Kris Patten »

Grabbed a Sagamore Cask Strength and Double Oak today to try....grabbing Remus tomorrow, will try to report back soon. The color on the Sagamore is crazy, so have high hopes.
ITB

Mike Maguire
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4306 Post by Mike Maguire »

Haven’t popped the cask strength yet, but really like the double oak Sagamore.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4307 Post by Scott Jameson »

What sources do folks use for current values for "scarcer" Bourbons ? BottleBlueBook seems pretty outdated, with listings (at least those I was browsing) more than a year old. Wine-searcher shows some retail offers but I'm guessing those are likely inflated, otherwise the bottles would have sold. I've seen 1000corks mentioned here and it seems similar to Wine-searcher. Any other suggestions ?

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4308 Post by James Lyon »

Scott Jameson wrote: August 25th, 2021, 5:25 am What sources do folks use for current values for "scarcer" Bourbons ? BottleBlueBook seems pretty outdated, with listings (at least those I was browsing) more than a year old. Wine-searcher shows some retail offers but I'm guessing those are likely inflated, otherwise the bottles would have sold. I've seen 1000corks mentioned here and it seems similar to Wine-searcher. Any other suggestions ?
Recent auctions, try HDH?

NealW

#4309 Post by NealW »

Facebook group BSM - Value Reference

People post transaction data and its dated
W e s s o n

Scott E.

#4310 Post by Scott E. »

Total Wine Fall "Rare Whiskey" raffle is on. Here in NV it is all Weller and Blanton's. What's available in other states?
$.E$te$

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4311 Post by Benny P »

Scott E. wrote: September 1st, 2021, 1:02 pm Total Wine Fall "Rare Whiskey" raffle is on. Here in NV it is all Weller and Blanton's. What's available in other states?
In Southern CA, it was Old Fitz 8 Years, Old Forrester 150th, Weller 12, EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Blanton's, and Yamazaki 18.
Ben P@scu@l

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4312 Post by Kris Patten »

Kris Patten wrote: August 18th, 2021, 10:16 pm Grabbed a Sagamore Cask Strength and Double Oak today to try....grabbing Remus tomorrow, will try to report back soon. The color on the Sagamore is crazy, so have high hopes.
Sagamore's were really good. Deep amber hue, the Double Cask had a touch more sweetness than the Cask Strength....both had rye spice but the texture and richness was what really grabbed me, to many higher end rye end up being a bit thin and green as they don't take the oak as well.

Good showing.
ITB

Andrew Kotowski

#4313 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Making Benton’s bacon infused bourbon. Will filter in a week and try with some Carpano Antica :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4314 Post by Mike Maguire »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: September 1st, 2021, 9:52 pm Making Benton’s bacon infused bourbon. Will filter in a week and try with some Carpano Antica :)
Can’t wait to hear, also a great use for the Willet neener

Scott E.

#4315 Post by Scott E. »

Benny P wrote: September 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm
Scott E. wrote: September 1st, 2021, 1:02 pm Total Wine Fall "Rare Whiskey" raffle is on. Here in NV it is all Weller and Blanton's. What's available in other states?
In Southern CA, it was Old Fitz 8 Years, Old Forrester 150th, Weller 12, EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Blanton's, and Yamazaki 18.
That's just wrong... They need to do a better job of spreading the wealth. [smileyvault-ban.gif]
$.E$te$

Monte Mast
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4316 Post by Monte Mast »

If you are looking for a solid bourbon raffle, I am the Executive Director of an organization that is holding one that has some really nice prizes, some of which are very unique (Mount Rushmore Presidential Collection). The top prize is:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 years old
Van Winkle FR "Lot B" 12 years old
Van Winkle FR Rye 13 years old
Pappy Van Winkle FR 15 years old
Pappy Van Winkle FR 20 years old
Pappy Van Winkle FR 23 years old
Blanton's Gold Edition
Stagg Jr Barrel Proof
Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bottled in Bond
Eagle Rare
Sazerac Rye Whiskey
Weller Antique 107

The raffle supports The Cavaliers AP&E (Arts, Performance & Education), an organization that supports multiple music and education initiatives including the seven time Drum Corps International champions, The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps. Here is the link if you are interested.

https://cavaliers.org/events/2021/8/12/ ... bon-raffle
Monte Mast

"Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4317 Post by Kris Patten »

A few newer Bourbons to me as we are now selling the MGPI portfolio partnered with Luxco that I was impressed with that may be a bit more limited.

Old Ezra 7 Year
George Remus - MGP 36% Rye mashbill
Remus Reserve V - 13-15 year old MGP 36% and 21% Rye mashbill

In the value category, Rebel 100 Proof wheater showed well as a cocktail bottle.
ITB

Andrew Kotowski

#4318 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Drinking the Old Ezra 7 as I type; definitely have enjoyed. I picked up one of the Remus Vs, as well, but need a good excuse to open it, past “it’s a day ending in ‘day!’ “
Instagram at @akgrill

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4319 Post by Adam Noble »

I picked up a Remus 2 a while back in Portland-I’d grab a V if I came across one. MGP has to be saving some hood stuff for themselves, right?

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4320 Post by Adam Noble »

And hope to try the Volstead sometime.

Andrew Kotowski

#4321 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Adam Noble wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:18 am I picked up a Remus 2 a while back in Portland-I’d grab a V if I came across one. MGP has to be saving some hood stuff for themselves, right?
Pine Lake QFC had several sitting on the shelf... has been a bit so they might be gone. Call over and ask for Lee or John.
Instagram at @akgrill

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4322 Post by Ed Steinway »

Has anyone tried the 2007 George Dickel 13 Year Old Bottled in Bond Whisky? $45 here in the Bay Area. Thanks!

Ed

Scott E.

#4323 Post by Scott E. »

Scott Rutkay wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:03 am
Christos M. wrote: August 14th, 2021, 7:26 am
Scott Rutkay wrote: August 11th, 2021, 4:10 am

I literately just got a text from my local wine store that they have a bottle for me. I am in western NJ.
I'll be picking it up Friday.
I've never had it before - what should i expect?
Did you try yet??

From a friend’s tasting, “Incredible complex oaky nose, a little sweetness on the palate and a long finish that was maybe lacking a little but overall an excellent drink.”
Not yet - I plan on having some this weekend though - I actually wasn't able to pick it up until last night. Looking forward to it, thanks for the notes.
LOL, I sure hope it was the best stuff you've ever had, rec'd an ad from Nestor for the 13-year old Russel's Reserve at only $700 per bottle!! [rofl.gif]
$.E$te$

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4324 Post by Kris Patten »

Oddly in almost 8 years our downtown store is next to 2Bar and I hadn't really tried the liquid. Had some free time and met Nathan, and tried the 80 proof, Amaretto, and Wine barrel finishes and they were some of the better Bourbons distilled and aged in WA in my opinion, especially being distilled here vs. purchased liquid. The Amaretto was really unique as it added a tinge of spice and a touch of sweetness to dull the edge. Will stop by and try his BiB, but if you are a WA local give them a try, love to see other thoughts.
ITB

RDHudak
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4325 Post by RDHudak »

Ed Steinway wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:13 am Has anyone tried the 2007 George Dickel 13 Year Old Bottled in Bond Whisky? $45 here in the Bay Area. Thanks!

Ed
IMO, one of the worst whiskies I've ever had. A very prominent Flintstone vitamins note that lingers.
Richard

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4326 Post by Ed Steinway »

RDHudak wrote:
IMO, one of the worst whiskies I've ever had. A very prominent Flintstone vitamins note that lingers.
Thanks for the feedback, Richard. I saw this at Costco for $38 and passed. For what it is worth, they do not seem to be flying off the shelves here.

Ed

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4327 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Scott E. wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Scott Rutkay wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:03 am
Christos M. wrote: August 14th, 2021, 7:26 am

Did you try yet??

From a friend’s tasting, “Incredible complex oaky nose, a little sweetness on the palate and a long finish that was maybe lacking a little but overall an excellent drink.”
Not yet - I plan on having some this weekend though - I actually wasn't able to pick it up until last night. Looking forward to it, thanks for the notes.
LOL, I sure hope it was the best stuff you've ever had, rec'd an ad from Nestor for the 13-year old Russel's Reserve at only $700 per bottle!! [rofl.gif]
Scott- i could probably let mine go for 695 - ill even cover shipping - I never opened it...lol

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4328 Post by Benny P »

7765ED59-9686-4955-84B9-226591089CA1.jpeg
I just opened up a bottle of Remus V. I think this is incredible. Immediately in the market for a backup bottle.
Ben P@scu@l

Andrew Kotowski

#4329 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Benny P wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:46 pm 7765ED59-9686-4955-84B9-226591089CA1.jpeg

I just opened up a bottle of Remus V. I think this is incredible. Immediately in the market for a backup bottle.
Why are you teasing poor Adam?

:)
Instagram at @akgrill

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4330 Post by Benny P »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: September 19th, 2021, 2:48 pm
Benny P wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:46 pm 7765ED59-9686-4955-84B9-226591089CA1.jpeg

Why are you teasing poor Adam?

:)
Haha my bad! I meant, ehh it’s just okay. But in all seriousness, I was a big fan.
Ben P@scu@l

Robert M yers

#4331 Post by Robert M yers »

That Remus V is getting a lot of local love. I’m trying to find a bottle to try. I seems like MGP may actually be actually bottling some of their good stuff now (which makes perfect sense, right)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4332 Post by Kris Patten »

Adam Noble wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:18 am I picked up a Remus 2 a while back in Portland-I’d grab a V if I came across one. MGP has to be saving some hood stuff for themselves, right?
Back in town the 11th, let me know if you want one still.
ITB

Adam Noble
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4333 Post by Adam Noble »

Kris Patten wrote: September 25th, 2021, 10:36 am
Back in town the 11th, let me know if you want one still.
Definite yes.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4334 Post by Brandon R »

I met up with some friends from Portland and they brought the outside two bottles. Both were fine, but I was really impressed by the middle one (Doc Swinson), which was recommended to my by someone working at Downtown Spirits last week. Good stuff, but not cheap at about $75 OTD.

B. Redman

Andrew Kotowski

#4335 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Have heard great things about the Doc Swinson. Have a bottle of the Burnside Garryana Rye and am not overly excited about it.
Instagram at @akgrill

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4336 Post by Kris Patten »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:30 pm Have heard great things about the Doc Swinson. Have a bottle of the Burnside Garryana Rye and am not overly excited about it.
It's the ongoing struggle with local distilleries, releasing 2-3 years too young due to cash flow when the whiskey still has that green edge. Rather see it age properly and add in MGP or use it exclusively til ready while being 100%transparent re. origin.
ITB

Robert M yers

#4337 Post by Robert M yers »

Did anybody else take the leap and buy the Willett Blackened? I’ve never tried a Blackened (due to the gimmick) but 6.5 year Willett somehow seemed like a good deal [headbang.gif]

Eric.LA

#4338 Post by Eric.LA »

Brandon R wrote: September 27th, 2021, 10:27 am I met up with some friends from Portland and they brought the outside two bottles. Both were fine, but I was really impressed by the middle one (Doc Swinson), which was recommended to my by someone working at Downtown Spirits last week. Good stuff, but not cheap at about $75 OTD.
Costco has the Doc Swinson's for 55$ in socal. Item#1542802.
PXL_20210910_015442994.jpg
Eric L@vel@

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4339 Post by Benny P »

I enjoyed that Calumet 15. Which Costco in SoCal was this one at?
Ben P@scu@l

Eric.LA

#4340 Post by Eric.LA »

Benny P wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:41 am I enjoyed that Calumet 15. Which Costco in SoCal was this one at?
San Diego Morena Blvd.
Eric L@vel@

Robert M yers

#4341 Post by Robert M yers »

That Calumet 15 is ~ $30 cheaper than shelf here. For that price I’d most probably bite.

Has anybody seen or tried the 10 year Jack? (If you see it and don’t want it, please let me trade/buy you for it, as I’ll never catch it here).

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4342 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Can cork stoppers in bourbon, rum be corked? I bought a bottle today and I swear it is corked. Does it affect the liquor like it does wine? I didn't taste it because I am taking it back.
Leonard Taylor

Andrew Kotowski

#4343 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Leonard Taylor wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:41 pm Can cork stoppers in bourbon, rum be corked? I bought a bottle today and I swear it is corked. Does it affect the liquor like it does wine? I didn't taste it because I am taking it back.
I have yet to experience it, but that's largely because bourbon should be stored upright, in a manner that does not permit the bourbon to come in contact with cork.

When it does, the consequences can be disastrous. See: my bottle of Pappy 23 :(
Instagram at @akgrill

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4344 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Leonard Taylor wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:41 pm Can cork stoppers in bourbon, rum be corked? I bought a bottle today and I swear it is corked. Does it affect the liquor like it does wine? I didn't taste it because I am taking it back.
I have yet to experience it, but that's largely because bourbon should be stored upright, in a manner that does not permit the bourbon to come in contact with cork.
I would think during shipping the liquid would come in contact with the cork frequently.
Leonard Taylor

Jeff Wilkinson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4345 Post by Jeff Wilkinson »

Has anyone tried the Whistle Pig 12YR Bespoke Blend and can give feedback/recommendations?

Andrew Kotowski

#4346 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Leonard Taylor wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm
I would think during shipping the liquid would come in contact with the cork frequently.
More a personal anecdote, after storing a bottle on its side for 2 years. Bourbon a material amount of the cork, leaked out the side.

Hard to learn that lesson with a very expensive bottle.
Instagram at @akgrill

Al Ehrhardt

#4347 Post by Al Ehrhardt »

Leonard Taylor wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm
I have had several bottles of corked bourbon over the years. I've also had bottles that we purchased together, also being corked. Then faced with what to do with the other bottle(s) when I get a corked bottle if I bought more than one? Open it and take a chance? Can't return it. Give as a gift or resell and hope it's not impacted, or the new owner doesn't even notice it? I have poured the corked bourbons to see if others notice it, and usually not, at least until I mention it to them.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4348 Post by James Lyon »

Jeff Wilkinson wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:24 pm Has anyone tried the Whistle Pig 12YR Bespoke Blend and can give feedback/recommendations?
Jeff, you can always give me a shout if you have a bourbon or rye question. I have a friend with a few bottles. I've heard and read good reviews of the WP 12YR Rye. I'm not sure about the Bespoke Blend. I'm assuming that this is the NC ABC barrel select which is listed on the Meck County ABC website. It's not very clear on the website, but it's probably a blended Canadian Rye Whiskey. At $130, probably a pass without tasting. Be well!

James

Andrew Kotowski

#4349 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Opened this with some forum friends (Mark Ye, Jim Brennan) and it lived up to the hype, which is pretty rare on boards like this.

Great nose and the finish went on for days. At 100 proof, it landed like a barrel proof without the oak baggage you'd get in a Stagg Jr.

Am now kicking myself in the ass for sending pictures of bottles to friends instead of buying them myself.
Instagram at @akgrill

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4350 Post by F.Daner »

Looks like Caskers has it

https://www.caskers.com/remus-repeal-re ... term=remus
Andrew Kotowski wrote: October 12th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Opened this with some forum friends (Mark Ye, Jim Brennan) and it lived up to the hype, which is pretty rare on boards like this.

Great nose and the finish went on for days. At 100 proof, it landed like a barrel proof without the oak baggage you'd get in a Stagg Jr.

Am now kicking myself in the ass for sending pictures of bottles to friends instead of buying them myself.
Fred

Return to “Beer and Spirits”