Rick Allen ! I'll finally get to drink your beer !

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
BRhoades

Rick Allen ! I'll finally get to drink your beer !

#1 Post by BRhoades » November 7th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Looking forward to this Saturdays online that features Tentbier, Ricks collab with Modern Times !

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rick Allen ! I'll finally get to drink your beer !

#2 Post by Chris Blum » November 7th, 2018, 7:21 pm

It’s across the board really good, but the Czech style lagers are outstanding.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm

I'm STILL waiting!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

BRhoades

#4 Post by BRhoades » November 7th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm
I'm STILL waiting!
Todd, if you want me to pick some up some for you let me know. Brewery only, this won't see distro.

Cheers,

Bud

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 7th, 2018, 9:04 pm

BRhoades wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I'm STILL waiting!
Todd, if you want me to pick some up some for you let me know. Brewery only, this won't see distro.

Cheers,

Bud
I'd love that!!! I can send a label or whatever to ship it, too!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

BRhoades

#6 Post by BRhoades » November 7th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 9:04 pm
BRhoades wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
I'm STILL waiting!

Cheers,

Bud
How much do you want Todd ?

Cheers,

Bud

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 7th, 2018, 9:22 pm

BRhoades wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 9:18 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud

Cheers,

Bud
What are the options? What styles? Not an IPA or dark beer guy

BRhoades

#8 Post by BRhoades » November 7th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 9:22 pm
BRhoades wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Todd, Ricks collaboration with Modern Times is a traditional German FestBier, think Pilsner on steroids, these come in 4 packs of 19.2 oz cans.

Cheers,

Bud

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 8th, 2018, 8:18 am

BRhoades wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 9:33 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 9:22 pm
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Todd, Ricks collaboration with Modern Times is a traditional German FestBier, think Pilsner on steroids, these come in 4 packs of 19.2 oz cans.

Cheers,

Bud
I LOVE Pilsner!!!! I'd love a 4-pack, please!!! Send me details via email or PM so I can pay you and send shipping info! Thank you so much!

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Rick Allen » November 8th, 2018, 9:28 am

Bud, this is a cross between a Oktoberfest-style Festbier and a Vienna-style Marzen. It's OK, though I've only tried it once. I was actually in Bamberg, Germany drinking beer when this was brewed. Lisa has done a couple of collaborations with MT. This was more up our alley, and the Hazy IPA, Path of Perspective, was more up theirs. Because this was brewed at Modern Times, we didn't have as much control as we would like. I thought that is missed the mark ever so slightly on the malt bill (there's a slight malt bitterness that doesn't fit). We're pouring this in our Tap Room this weekend as well, along with our Baltic Porter, Sandy Paws (with Scott Tallman's dog on the label).

Todd, we brew traditional and not-so-traditional German style beers. We just sent down a pallet of Pils and a mixed pallet of kegs, with another pallet of bottles (Baltic Porter and Dunkel) and kegs going down next week. We're trying to increase the amount of beer we send to CA - probably twice as much this year as last, and probably that much more again next year. That said, it's still a drop in the bucket.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Rick Allen » November 8th, 2018, 9:33 am

Lisa just told me that the Mikkeller Bar in LA tends to get our beer quite a bit, though they don't have it on tap now.

BRhoades

#12 Post by BRhoades » November 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 9:28 am
Bud, this is a cross between a Oktoberfest-style Festbier and a Vienna-style Marzen. It's OK, though I've only tried it once. I was actually in Bamberg, Germany drinking beer when this was brewed. Lisa has done a couple of collaborations with MT. This was more up our alley, and the Hazy IPA, Path of Perspective, was more up theirs. Because this was brewed at Modern Times, we didn't have as much control as we would like. I thought that is missed the mark ever so slightly on the malt bill (there's a slight malt bitterness that doesn't fit). We're pouring this in our Tap Room this weekend as well, along with our Baltic Porter, Sandy Paws (with Scott Tallman's dog on the label).

Todd, we brew traditional and not-so-traditional German style beers. We just sent down a pallet of Pils and a mixed pallet of kegs, with another pallet of bottles (Baltic Porter and Dunkel) and kegs going down next week. We're trying to increase the amount of beer we send to CA - probably twice as much this year as last, and probably that much more again next year. That said, it's still a drop in the bucket.
I'm looking forward to this Rick, would love to see any kind of HA beers in our neck of the woods, man cannot live on IPA alone and believe it or not I love well made Pils and drink them often, actually Henry@ Monkish brews some amazing Pils and they last a lot longer than the IPAs so I can usually grab some.

Cheers,

Bud

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by AlexS » November 8th, 2018, 6:01 pm

So jelly...been lobbying Rick on "procuring" some of his lagers to no avail for a while now :(
s t e w @ r t

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Rick Allen » November 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Alex, if I could figure out how to get it to you, you'd be first on the list.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Rick Allen » November 8th, 2018, 7:43 pm

I talked to Lisa about this beer, and MT pretty much followed our practices. Step mash, first wort hopping, long fermentation at low temps, and top quality malt (Weyermann). They used less Munich Malt than I would have and more Caramel Malt (for color). We've become more interested in longer boils on our direct-fire system to get color from caramelization. We just brewed a Helles using only Pilsner Malt but a long boil to get a deeper color. Hopefully that will make it down your way (along with Pils, of course).

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Rick Allen » November 8th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Maybe we need to do an LA tap take-over...

BRhoades

#17 Post by BRhoades » November 9th, 2018, 7:26 am

Rick Allen wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Maybe we need to do an LA tap take-over...
That sounds like something I would look forward to ! champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by AlexS » November 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Alex, if I could figure out how to get it to you, you'd be first on the list.
I know man, just giving you a little grief. Hopefully I'll be out there sometime in 2019, maybe right after CBC.
s t e w @ r t

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by c_choi_ » November 12th, 2018, 11:41 am

It's a little bit of a pain to get Rick's beers in the LA area but I've seen it at K&L and a few other stores in the area. Not sure why you're having so much trouble, Bud.
Chr|s Ch0|

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 14th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 9:33 am
Lisa just told me that the Mikkeller Bar in LA tends to get our beer quite a bit, though they don't have it on tap now.
Sweet! A few blocks from.my work.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

BRhoades

#21 Post by BRhoades » November 14th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Psssst Rick.......it's not an IPA [snort.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#22 Post by BRhoades » November 14th, 2018, 5:24 pm

c_choi_ wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:41 am
It's a little bit of a pain to get Rick's beers in the LA area but I've seen it at K&L and a few other stores in the area. Not sure why you're having so much trouble, Bud.
I have yet to see any Heater Allen bottles/cans in the OC Chris, what little bit of Ricks beers that do make it down here is usually on tap and I've yet to see any Heater Allen on tap anywhere I frequent. I picked up my Modern Times November on-line order in San Diego today that included a few 4-packs of his Tent Bier collab. Really looking forward to them.

Cheers,

Bud

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#23 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Did you open one yet, Bud? I’m thinking of cracking one after dinner - you know, for science

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by c_choi_ » November 14th, 2018, 8:38 pm

BRhoades wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 5:24 pm
c_choi_ wrote:
I have yet to see any Heater Allen bottles/cans in the OC Chris, what little bit of Ricks beers that do make it down here is usually on tap and I've yet to see any Heater Allen on tap anywhere I frequent. I picked up my Modern Times November on-line order in San Diego today that included a few 4-packs of his Tent Bier collab. Really looking forward to them.

Cheers,

Bud
Given your desire to try Rick's beers, you should consider my recommendations for the LA area, which isn't too far considering you go to the Dojo IIRC and you definitely make it out to Monkish with consistency [snort.gif]. If the drive is too arduous for you, just have K&L ship some of Rick's beers to you. Also, the tip about Mikkeller DTLA holds up; I believe they have a Coastal Lager on tap right now.

The OC's stores with regards to beers are simply worse than what LA has to offer.

Cheers
Chr|s Ch0|

BRhoades

#25 Post by BRhoades » November 15th, 2018, 8:41 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm
Did you open one yet, Bud? I’m thinking of cracking one after dinner - you know, for science
Not yet Todd, I'll crack one tonight with my brats watching the Packers humiliate the Sea Hawks champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#26 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2018, 8:43 am

BRhoades wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 8:41 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Not yet Todd, I'll crack one tonight with my brats watching the Packers humiliate the Sea Hawks champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud
Dude, hilarious! I was JUST going to write the same thing! I didn't open it last night but plan to tonight!

GO PACK, GO!

BRhoades

#27 Post by BRhoades » November 15th, 2018, 9:02 am

c_choi_ wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 8:38 pm
BRhoades wrote:
c_choi_ wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Given your desire to try Rick's beers, you should consider my recommendations for the LA area, which isn't too far considering you go to the Dojo IIRC and you definitely make it out to Monkish with consistency [snort.gif]. If the drive is too arduous for you, just have K&L ship some of Rick's beers to you. Also, the tip about Mikkeller DTLA holds up; I believe they have a Coastal Lager on tap right now.

The OC's stores with regards to beers are simply worse than what LA has to offer.

Cheers
Thanks so much for this Chris. My situation is that 95% of the beer I buy is brewery direct, I very seldom by beer retail for some of the same reasons you pointed out and rarely go out to pubs ( unless it's a Beerserker off-line ) to drink for obvious reasons. BTW the OC does have one of the better bottle shops in Mr K's but I'm very seldom over that way, Ive only been in a couple of times and its very impressive.

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#28 Post by BRhoades » November 15th, 2018, 9:19 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 8:43 am
BRhoades wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Dude, hilarious! I was JUST going to write the same thing! I didn't open it last night but plan to tonight!

GO PACK, GO!
It's only appropriate right ? What better beer to go with homemade brats from Alpine Village !

Cheers,

Bud

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by c_choi_ » November 15th, 2018, 10:46 am

BRhoades wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 9:02 am
c_choi_ wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 8:38 pm
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud

Cheers
Thanks so much for this Chris. My situation is that 95% of the beer I buy is brewery direct, I very seldom by beer retail for some of the same reasons you pointed out and rarely go out to pubs ( unless it's a Beerserker off-line ) to drink for obvious reasons. BTW the OC does have one of the better bottle shops in Mr K's but I'm very seldom over that way, Ive only been in a couple of times and its very impressive.

Cheers,

Bud
Mr. K's is very good and so is Hi-Time but neither carry Rick's beers unfortunately.
Chr|s Ch0|

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by AlexS » November 15th, 2018, 1:10 pm

BRhoades wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 9:19 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
BRhoades wrote:

Cheers,

Bud

GO PACK, GO!
It's only appropriate right ? What better beer to go with homemade brats from Alpine Village !

Cheers,

Bud
Suddenly this is the greatest thread on WB.

Todd -- did you ever figure out that emoji we talked about??? :)
s t e w @ r t

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#31 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2018, 1:23 pm

AlexS wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 1:10 pm
BRhoades wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 9:19 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

GO PACK, GO!

Cheers,

Bud
Suddenly this is the greatest thread on WB.

Todd -- did you ever figure out that emoji we talked about??? :)
cheesehead

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by AlexS » November 15th, 2018, 5:35 pm

The only reason my sister won't go vegan is cheese.

#sconnyforever
s t e w @ r t

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#33 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2018, 8:28 pm

omg that beer is fantastic - thanks, Rick!!!

I enjoyed it when the Packers were playing well, before soon-to-be-gone Mike McCarthy gave the game away

cheesehead

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Rick Allen » November 16th, 2018, 9:38 am

champagne.gif

BRhoades

#35 Post by BRhoades » November 16th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 8:28 pm

I enjoyed it when the Packers were playing well, before soon-to-be-gone Mike McCarthy gave the game away

cheesehead
Loved it too Todd, posted a review over on the WBAYD thread.

Cheers,

Bud

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by AlexS » November 16th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 8:28 pm

cheesehead
YES!!!!!!!!!!

cheesehead cheesehead cheesehead
s t e w @ r t

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by fred o. » November 28th, 2018, 12:00 am

enjoyed the beer very much as well, thanks Bud for publicizing it :). agree with c_choi above, K&L is a very convenient option for some Heater Allen beers, and they do local delivery, or it's a short drive up the 710/5/101 haha.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”