Plastic Wine Glasses

It’s finally getting warm again, which means we get to use our deck.

Thinking of picking up some plastic wine glasses to prevent an increase on the already torrid pace which we go through Riedel Os.

Any votes from people as to the best. Have my eye on the govino glasses, although they can’t be put in the dishwasher:
http://www.amazon.com/Govino-Glass-Flexible-Shatterproof-Recyclable/dp/B002WXSAT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397960231&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+stemless+wine+glasses

I see this alternative which claims to be dishwasher safe, but has consumer reviews to the contrary:
http://www.amazon.com/WineTanium-Stemless-Shatterproof-Reusable-Dishwasher/dp/B00596NTXK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398088885&sr=8-4&keywords=plastic+stemless+wine+glasses

I think the second link (Amazon) ones are available at Cost Plus for $2.99 per glass. I picked up 4 for use this Summer. They are definitely thicker and sturdier than the Go-vino glasses. The Go-vino glasses will shrivel up and melt in the dishwasher. Don’t ask me how I know.

If you’re worried about breaking thin expensive glasses just buy some inexpensive but far more durable glasses for patio use. IMO, plastic is horrible for drinking wine out of as it mutes the nose and flavors.

I use the GoVino on a regular basis. Mostly for inexpensive whites,rose,and sparklers. Works well, has a cool thumbprint holder spot. When they get dingy just recycle and pick up more.

The GoVinos are quasi-dishwasher safe. They don’t guarantee them for all dishwashers, but they will be fine in some. They do great in mine. I use them all the time. I generally get about 15-20 dishwasher cycles out of them before they need to be recycled. That’s fine.

I like the Go Vino. There’s no ill effects on the wines. Nothing gets muted or picks up off elements.

Don’t like drinking out of plastic if I can avoid it. We have a set of Luigi Bormioli stems that are nearly indestructible. I knocked a Bordeaux stem over on our granite countertop and it bounced until it settled and rolled. It must have struck the counter four or five times. May not stand up to a table drop to concrete, but I don’t worry about them like I would the Riedels. They are quite reasonable priced from what I recall also.

The Govino glasses are great, IMO. Nice shape, works well for most wines.

We use Govinos for camping. They would be my choice for poolside, although normally I prefer stems.
Most dishwashers have an air dry setting if hand washing is too much trouble, like after a big party.

P Hickner

I wouldn’t go as far a “horrible,” but if you’re talking about drinking at home, I agree with Andy – just go to Costco and buy a box of so-so big wine glasses, which will probably not cost more per glass than plastic glasses, and be far better for drinking.

I think I bought a bottle of Kirkland wine glasses (pretty good sized BDX style glasses, definitely thicker glass than your good glasses but not anything like crummy condo or wedding reception glasses) for $3 a glass – $24 for 8 glasses or something? That’s how much those plastic glasses cost.

Plastic glasses are okay for travel, though – I usually take a few with me camping, on vacation, etc. Not as good as glass, but better than drinking from a cup or from one of those condo-type wine glasses.

GoVinos are wonderful, if not the perfect glass. With the understanding that plastic is inferior to glass, GoVinos are very worth it, IMO.

Good point, I had also been considering this.

Is the glass shape the main reason why people dislike plastic glasses? or the use of plastic itself? or the aesthetics?

I’m with Andy and Chris. For everyday use or outside, I buy the inexpensive stems at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They’re decent glasses, more or less white wine sized but still ok for red, and they’re $10-$12 for a box of a dozen. Other than the PITA of cleaning up broken glass outside, the investment isn’t worth a second thought.

For me, it’s not about the investment, it’s about the broken glass part. I’ve got a toddler. Picking up every last piece of broken glass is hard enough indoors on the hardwood floors. Outside, it’s basically impossible. If it’s just my wife and I or a few friends, we’ll use glass outside and trust that everyone will be careful (and painstakingly search for broken glass if there is an accident), but for a larger party outside, it’s plastic all the way.

What Jay said.

The Govinos rock - I use them outside and for camping all the time. I am not opening '45 Latour with these glasses - usually just young whites and simple Rhones/Cru Beaujolais etc - so they work perfect, are easy to clean and don’t get cloudy after a couple of washings like so many plastic glasses do - and they are perfect for a glass of beer as well -

Plastic is for hot-tubs and pools only, IMO. I take real glasses camping even. If I had either a hot-tub or a pool, I would look into the GoVinos. Seem the best of these and seem to have a reasonably thin rim.

Yes this is part of the problem except we have an infant and a toddler + our outdoor space is a deck built above a garage, so broken glass may fall between the deck railings and isn’t really retrievable. If i go the glass route i would want something that either doesn’t break and or breaks into large pieces - open to suggestions for those.

Govino.
I use them on my sailboat. They have a nice shape and, best of all, don’t leave glass shards when they break.
They work well where breakage is an issue.
IMG_00000002.jpg