Saxum offering, any thoughts?

In this release we are offering the rest of our 2011s, the Syrah based wines. As you may recall, 2011 was our coolest year ever, and I feel that those conditions made for really unique, expressive wines. They are jam packed with spice and complexity and will definitely benefit (even more than typical) from a few years of patience. The following reviews are from Jeb Dunnuck, the new reviewer of Central Coast and Rhone Valley wines for Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate. The wines were tasted shortly before bottling.
2011 BROKEN STONES ($89)
78% Syrah, 18% Mourvèdre, 4% Petite Sirah (15.6% alc.)
1230 cases produced
Coming mostly from a cooler block on James Berry Vineyard, the 2011 Syrah Broken Stones (78% Syrah, 18% Mourvedre and 4% Petite Sirah) has off-the-hook purity and focus. Aged in two-thirds new puncheons, it delivers a stunning aromatic display with complex blueberry, pepper, flowers, potpourri and spice being just some of the notes emerging from the glass. Full-bodied, textured and rich, it’s the purity that really sets this apart. Give it 2-3 years once released and enjoy it over the following decade. Drink 2016-2026. (97-99 points) Jeb Dunnuck, The Wine Advocate #208, August 2013

Due to the smaller production of the following wines, they are only available as wish request items. There will be a link on your order confirmation page to make your request. If you don’t see the link, email your request to info@saxumvineyards.com. If inventory allows after February 11th, we will add the requested item(s) to your shipment, charge your credit card, and email you a second order confirmation for the additional wines.
2011 BOOKER VINEYARD ($89)
67% Syrah, 33% Mourvèdre (15.4% alc.)
500 cases produced
Classic Booker with its serious levels of dark fruit, chocolate, earth and mineral, the 2011 Syrah Booker Vineyard (67% Syrah, 33% Mourvedre) builds incrementally on the palate and delivers full-bodied richness and depth without ever seeming heavy or cumbersome. Aged in 300- and 350-liter hogsheads, this seamless, focused and layered barrel sample is brilliant and could come from nowhere else. It should have 15+ years of longevity. Drink 2016-2026. (97-99 points) Jeb Dunnuck, The Wine Advocate #208, August 2013
2011 BONE ROCK ($89)
Syrah (15.3% alc.)
450 cases produced
The class of the lineup, the 2011 Syrah Bone Rock, which was co-fermented with a touch of Roussanne and Mourvedre, is most likely the wine of the vintage. Tasting like a young 2010 Cornas, with searing pepper, mineral, raspberry, flowers and savory meatiness, it hits the palate with a deep, concentrated profile that carries awesome purity, an incredible texture and blockbuster length. All I can say is that I hope it shows this good from bottle! Drink 2016-2026. (98-100 points) Jeb Dunnuck, The Wine Advocate #208, August 2013

Buy everything you can, they are awesome :wink:

Just curious. I’ve been offered the last three releases. Two Broken Stones and a James Berry. I took all I was offered. How long have folks been on the list before they got some Bone Rock, Booker or Heartstone?

Love it!!! [highfive.gif]

Year 2 on the list for me and I was only offered Broken Stones.

Given the amount I’ve spent each Tuesday for the past 3 weeks (Kosta Brown, Rochioli, Seaver, Myriad, Rivers Marie), it’s a good thing these wineries are limiting how much I can buy!

There are no bad bottles of Saxum. While I have been dismayed as the price has risen, the quality is definitely there, and I usually go all-in. They are, after all, the gold standard for California Rhones.

Just had a 2006 Broken Stones on Saturday night – it was pretty amazing. Somehow, Justin finds a way to make these 16.3% alc. bruisers age harmoniously.

Somebody share with me.

+1
perfect timing Justin

In addition to what that Justin guy said, I am guessing that the 12’s will be amazing, so you might want to buy now to secure that allocation. I haven’t had any of the new release but the 11’s I have had from the last release are outstanding.

Thanks Loren. The 12s are nice, but those 13s? Damn! grouphug Did you make any juice in 13?

Michael, you should be up for them next go around with the 12s.

I am not worthy…wait, YES I am! champagne.gif

Thanks Justin! [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

Yes, I am looking forward to the 2012’s and 2013’s.

ugh. need to find funds to buy. Sigh.

Still waiting on my offer email. Strange, since I received the pre-offer email a few weeks ago…

What is the wait time currently to get on the allocation list? I signed up around the end of 2010.

Jim, you should have an offering available if you received an email from us. Log in and see, or send Sierra a note at info@saxumvineyards.com and she can help you out.

Eric, I think we are at the beginning of 2010s right now, but the list isn’t moving much because production was about the same for the last 2 releases, but I think we might bring a few people on with next years release (12s), I’m just not sure at this point how many. We had a LOT of people sign up 2010!

Justin,
Any truth to the rumor you are changing the name of your wine from SAXUM to SEX’UM ?? [thumbs-up.gif] grouphug

Who is this guy and what does he know? Understatement. They are F’in AWESOME!!! I have been buying since the 2004 vintage and I have yet to drink one that was not GREAT.

left a few broken stones on the table! Excited to try this vintage