Favorite "Entry-Level" Barolo and Barbaresco

The 2010 Barolo thread got me intrigued to hear everyone’s favorite entry-level Barolo. (I’m especially interested in more traditional producers, but I have no desire to limit this topic as such.) I’ve enjoyed some Marcarini and Vietti in this category–and like everyone else I love Produttori–but I have very narrow experience in this category of wines. I’d love to hear ideas.

Vajra

Produttori di Barbaresco

Brovia
Andrea Oberto
Elvio Cogno
Vietti
GD Vajra
Luigi Einaudi
Guido Porro
Rocche Costamagna

Produttori del Barbaresco
Paitin
Castello di Neive
Cantina del Pino

Very interesting thread. I’m looking forward to hear what people say, since I’m just starting to explore Barolo.

I’ll be watching as well, the Produttori del Barbaresco Nebbiolo is already on my list…I’ve always heard great feedback on it but never tasted it.

Vietti

To add to the list, these are at reasonable prices.
Mauro Veglio
Massolino
Albino Rocca
Sottimano

…and in excellent vintages do not discount the tier below such as Vietti perbacco and Voerzio nebb d’alba, which can be excellent.

To the great suggestions already made, I’d add Malvira…great juice for a very fair price. Albeit not “Barolo” or “Barbaresco”, and not quite to your specific question, Langhe and Roero Nebbiolo are often worth a look, at the price…

This one @ $24 was pretty tasty: 2005 Cascina Bruciata Barbaresco.

Nice list, although some are priced a bit higher than what I consider entry level. In the sub-$40 range I’d add:

Brezza
Oddero
Guido Porro
Luigi Pira
Cortese Rabaja

Once in the Brovia pricing range, the options expand to include many more wines such as Burlotto, Cavallotto, Francesco Rinaldi and much more.

Brovia and Alessandra

I was trying to focus on some of the lower price point wines. Depending on when and where you buy, most/all of these work.

Nice add…these are a steal.

I take no credit. It looks like I just missed this one in Gary’s list.

This.

Obviously Produttori’s normale is tough to beat at that price. I like the Castello di Neive suggestion as well. Also, for traditionally styled Nebbiolo at reasonable prices, why limit it to these two regions? Travaglini Gattinara is fantastic and so reasonably priced.

Damilano Barolo Lecinquevigne
Vietti Castiglione

Our Costco had the '08 Produttori for $25.99 over the past couple of months and has now been replaced with the '09.

+1 on the Travaglini Gattinara and Antoniolo is another great producer…and for something that will outline even Barolos, try a Carema Riserva. Or a Lessona from Tentue Sella.

Fortunate to have a home near Biella and have spent many hours foraging around the smaller producers of north Piemonte/Biella.

Being a burgundy man, the Produttori di Barbaresco Riservas are my favourite from a pricing perspective, I would go as far as to say they are easily the best deal in wine available full stop. Does anyone not have them in their cellar?