How do you find out about new wines?

After reading Frank Murray’s post about a rise in price after a good review from a critic, it made me think exactly how consumers in general want to learn about new wines, especially those in their first release. Is it word of mouth amongst the community after the wine has hit the market? Buying something off a shelf out of hundreds of selections without a clue what it tastes like? Or do some follow particular critics who resonate with their own tastes?

This board, your PDWR, and word of mouth. Probably in that order as well.

This, more than any other reason, is why I don’t understand the vitriol towards professional wine criticism. Most would only have information about a tiny fraction of the wines available, without professional critiques.

Doug, good topic, thanks for posting it. My answer has to be the power of the board here, as well as running into cool new things via the the various tasting circles that happen around here. The generosity and passion of the local wine groups is a great avenue to see new things.

This is how I recently ran into Liquid Farm, how I found my way into Ceritas, both new finds in 2013.

Word of mouth, both on the board here and through friends ITB.

This board, attending tastings (both informal ones and at places like Hi Time), blogs, critics, occasionally from a sales person’s recommendation, occasionally just taking a flyer on something. I also frequently cross-reference against CT.

As far as critics, I consult them less and less over the years, like most people as they get deeper into and more experienced about wine, but I am more likely to take them into account when I’m looking for wines in an area where I’m less experienced. For example, the first few Loire cab francs I ever bought, maybe 6-7 years ago or so, were based on WS reviews, which (contrary to the belief that critics always point you to over the top fruit bombs) turned out to point me to Baudry and Amirault, and excellent wines. In contrast, I pay hardly any attention to critics when it comes to California wines, since I already know so many and know what I like.

WS top 100 list [wink.gif]
Some new names on the Cellar Tracker forum but mostly here. Our local tastings are absolute crap most of the time.

“Poilsh: Rooms for Rent Rabka Zdroj”

The only winery I have really gotten in on the first release of is the upcoming CIRQ, and that was a direct result of this board. As far as trying new wines/wineries, this board as well as the blogs I read regularly would probably get the primary nod, with magazines in a more distant second place.

I attend a ton of consumer tastings, but rarely buy the wines tasted. I have always had the mindset of, “I’ve tried it already, why would I buy it?” I’ve always leaned toward trying wines versus drinking them and would much rather split 10 bottles among 10 friends, then have a bottle to myself.

I have also have a fascination with trying wines that are generally seen as benchmarks of their style/region/variety/etc. (Tempier Rose’ for example) But those are born more out of my active research, than getting recommendations from any one person or place.

My fellow aficionados, good wine shops, good internet forums, random stops at wineries…those are my big four.

Oh, and, of course, those little write up things on the wine shelves.

This board, magazines, word of mouth but I’ve picked up more on this board than anywhere else.

Domaine wine storage, Washington dc. Saturday afternoons!

And this board

This board is an enabler… seriously if this board didn’t exist, i’d have a lot more cash in the bank… :wink:

Yup.

champagne.gif

Most of mine have been mentioned (forums, pdwr); the shuttered Rhone Report was a source, too.

I learned about Paix Sur Terre by interviewing other Paso Robles winemakers on my blog. First became aware of Nicora via a photo on Twitter from Alta Colina’s Maggie Tillman.

This board, books, and a trick…go to the web site of the wineries you like and look for the links section. Most of them list other wineries which the owner or winemaker likes and drinks.

The problem is remembering the wines, or much of anything, the next day.

This ^

It helps to live in Sonoma County and work in Sonoma and Napa Counties. Always keeping my ears open.

I would have just spent it on something else much less satisfying.

like… 49er season tickets? [rofl.gif]

Jokes aside, what is PWDR?