Bad luck with Patrick Piuze Chablis lately!

My first post, and sadly a negative one.

In the last few years I have had good luck with the wines of Patrick Piuze. Especially the 2008s have been great drinking wines. Only one incident of premox in the first two dozen (or so) bottles. In the last month though, I have opened two bottles of 2008 Mont de Millieu and a bottle of 2010 Montee de Tonnerre, and they have all been premoxed.

What is your take on this producer premox-wise? I really like the wines when they are fresh, and would love to hear something from you, that may prevent me from having to open my 2010 Valmur’s too soon…

Best

Morten

Several of my btls of 2010 have been premoxed, and I am just opening the remaining ones as fast as possible, no sense in aging them IMO. Bought a total of 12, halfway thru.

Uh-Oh…

Wow.

Opened a 2010 Valmur tonight. Not premoxed, but not as good as the first bottle of it I opened a year ago. Disjointed acid, sour. But at least drinkable.

If true this sucks, his wines are stunning young, and would age great sans pre-mox.

2010’s starting to oxidize? Really? Might there be a shipment/storage issue which has caused or exacerbated the problems? As far as I know Piuze has a pretty standard SO2 regime.

+1. Another example of premox hysteria.

Well like it or not, I bought 12 btls from Rare Wine Co., known for their provenance, and they were delivered at the beginning of November, 2012, so no heat during shipping. Direct into my cellar. A bottle of Clos opened at the time was dark in color and slightly oxidized. A bottle of Preuses in March 2013 was very dark and flat out oxidized. My notes are on CT.

Isn’t this cause of premox? White burgs that are stunning young have an unfortunate tendency to premox.

I don’t think so, they are not fat and lush, which I would think would lead to shorter lives.

Thank you for your replies. @Chuck, sad story with your 2010s. Hope for some better bottles to come.

I will try a bottle of 2010 Valmur one of the coming days, and hope for the best.

And don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the wines, when they are on.

Btw: there should be no shipping storage issues with these 2010s, as they were shipped in cold weather and have been stored properly.

I can’t believe I bought all the hype…guess I’ll have to start pulling corks. [swearing.gif]

Sad that it doesn’t work that way. Accessible wines in the lean-racy style are p’ox subsceptible too. At least, my numerous p’oxed Chablis indicate that.

Well my Valmur last night was really not good. Sour and without the crisp acidity I tend to expect in the Piuze wines. With brutal swirling, it reveals a hint of white flowers, but this wine is shot in a bad way. And I would definitely call it premoxed.
As a substitute I opened the Colin-Morey St Aubin Chateniere 2008. A very nice wine. Plenty of white flowers; a little butter and cleansing acidity. Starting to be at peak for my taste.

Ouch…I just bought a bottle of '10 Bougros Côte de Bouqueyreaux. I hope it holds up when I open it.

Prompted by this thread I opened a 2010 Butteaux. Not a hint of premox. As good as premier cru Chablis gets in fact. Bought at the domaine. I’ve opened only a couple of my 2010s because they were too young and tight for my taste. None had any sign of premox.

Glad you had a good bottle, Ive. But that’s the nature of premox, some bottles great, some not. Which is why I have decided to just drink up my bottles in the near term, just not worth the cellar space.

I’m not sure which is worse about premox. The actual effects, or the fear that causes us to bust open bottles way before their time.

I have a couple of cases of various Piuze wines from 08 to 10, so needless to say am not exactly thrilled to see this.

Interestingly there doesn’t seem to be any reference to Piuze in the Oxidized White Burg wiki, though someone (Don?) has just added a page for him. Morten, Ive, Chuck etc, could you record your experiences there??? When I pull some bottles from storage I’ll report back.

Thanks
Peter

Peter, I’ve made a fair number of contributions to the wiki page, but frankly find it far too difficult to add most bottles I taste (it is bad enough to report an existing wine, but a real PITA to add a new producer). I tend to only post on the wiki the occasional oxidized wine, and rarely on a good bottle, so the wiki is a bit skewed. On top of that, I think CT would be a far better way to report on these bottles vs. the wiki, especially for those bottles I own, since they are already in CT and I have to remove them anyway.

Besides, a large percentage more people will see a note on CT than will EVER see the wiki, not that I don’t appreciate Don’s efforts.