Bad luck with Patrick Piuze Chablis lately!

I’ve had 3 bottles of '10 in the last year or so, 2 of Terroir de Fyé and 1 Bougros Côte de Bouqueyreaux all have been in great shape.

…White burgs that are stunning young have an unfortunate tendency to premox…

Hmm…I agree and I call that borrowing to-morrow Paul for to-day George. pileon

I opened a 2010 Bougros Côte de Bouqueyreaux tonight. I had a bottle a few months ago that was absolutely wonderful. This one is still drinkable, but clearly advanced as shown by the color and some caramel and baked fruit on the palate. The freshness is gone already and there is even not as much complexity anymore. This is so sad. I’m happy to drink this bottle for the low price I paid, but I’ve never seen premox at such a young age before tonight. I will now only buy single bottles of Piuze very soon after release for immediate drinking, and probably no more GC’s.

Doug,

Does that place where we got these allow returns for damaged wines from their DISCO bins?

I opened a 2009 Terroir de Chablis last week and while it was kind of disappointing and seemed disjointed at first, it was really marvellous after a few days in the fridge. I’ve had a few (not very many) different Piuze 2008 and 2009 Village and 1er Cru Chablis over the last year and never noticed anything even closely resembling premature oxidation. But I did notice that they get better with some aeration. Personally, I won’t hurry up drinking up my remaining Piuze stock (which is less than 12 mixed bottles anyway).

Has anyone who had problems contacted Piuze himself or the merchant they bought from?

Kirk, I don’t know, but it might be worth asking. The tough part about that is that you don’t know what kind of condition that bottle is in without opening it. I suspect that they’d do store credit but not a refund. You’ll have a better chance if you have your receipt. I exchanged a leaker without a problem, but I was getting the exact same wine for it. If I were you, I’d probably just go in there in person and try it the next time you’re down here.

Steven, it’s quite possible that you have just had good luck. It’s the nature of the beast with premox. I haven’t contacted anyone in the supply chain, but I’m buying directly from the distributor. We buy a lot of wine from them, and I’ve never had a problem with heat damage before. It is a possible cause, but I don’t think it’s likely. This seemed more like premox.

I honestly find all of this rather surprising.

I’ve not opened any GC recently because the ones I opened last year (Clos, Valmur, Bougros) or so were so young and closed that I decided to leave them resting for at least a couple of years.

The Butteaux '10 I opened last week was where you would expect it to be at this stage. Young but approachable. No premox at all.

I wonder: are all of you with problematic bottles sure that this is not a provenance issue? All of mine were driven home directly from the domaine.

Yes.

I can’t be as sure about mine, but I am pretty sure, as I said, that this is not an issue of provenance. As many people as there are here reporting it, I seriously doubt that’s the problem with every advanced bottle we’ve experienced. To me, Chuck’s description is pretty much the same as buying from the domaine and driving them home. Rare Wine Company is famous for taking provenance very seriously.

Premox is not caused by poor provenance. Period. Poor provenance can exacerbate or accelerate premox, but not cause it. Poor provenance affects ALL bottles in a case or shipment. Premox affects only certain seemingly random bottles, all of which had the same provenance, assuming they were bought from the same source. Consider Doug Schulman’s experience above. A good bottle, then several months later, an advanced bottle. Premox.

After reading this, opened a 2010 Piuze Chablis Terroirs de Courgis out of panic. Not one of the higher end wines, but no signs of premox and an enjoyable wine with some lemon garlic baked sole. Nice QPR for under $20.

So depressing. The Butteaux 1er 2010 is also premox’ed. I had some hope, but it was shot down immediately. I will not buy anymore Piuze 2010. I have a few more bottles that I intend to open soon… Still have hope, that one or both might bring some joy…

Yes, those bottles came from the same source, and there were clearly YEARS of difference in terms of development even though they were opened only MONTHS apart.

Well, if true, this dashes the “wax caps help prevent PremOx” theory. I’ve only had good Piuze, but looks like I need to experiment with some wines I normally would never think of opening so young. Terrific.

So I’m pulling Piuze 10s off the shelves, and planning on tasting a few different bottlings at the higher levels. It’s not very scientific, of course, but if something’s wrong across the board, I would expect six bottles would show some kind of variation.

Used to be premox took 6-7 years from vintage to show up. Now we are seeing reports of premox in the 2010’s at 3 years from vintage. Doesn’t look like we are making progress on that front.

Hej Morten
You shouldnt have sold your pox-proof Felsenecks to me neener
I (and you) have also noticed a wee taint in 2010 Pattes Loup Montmains lately. Still only a week sherry tone, no discoloring, but scaring indeed

Seriously? I’m already depressed and it is only 9am. pileon

I bought four bottles each of the 2011 Pattes Loup Chablis Butteaux and Cote de Jouan and they are going to be gone in a few weeks. They are suspiciously wide open and delicious now and the color is already a warm yellow gold. It’s possible that some of this early development reflects the 2011 vintage, but I think they may be headed for premature oxidation in the not too distant future. The good news is they are so good now that I am glad I bought them in any event.

Hej Claus - Yes that Pattes Loup was indeed advanced. Still drinking beautifully at the time of comsumption. So happy I opened it that soon :wink:

Jim - I am looking forward to following your experiment with Piuze.