G. Mascarello 2004 Monprivato: Do not do it. Just don't. DON'T.

Man, do I feel stupid…

Giuseppe Mascarello 2004 Barolo Monprivato

Now, in my defense, I have laid my only bottle down for a long snooze. This was a friend’s bottle, and he wanted to open it “just to see.” There was no stopping it.

This would be like trying to get a feel for the Grand Canyon by reading black-and-white magazines. But then, it’s always valuable to experience what a truly closed down, young wine is like.

On opening: Almost no nose at all. A bit like cherry menthol, if smelled through a wet towel. On the palate, lithe and graceful and almost floating, with a subtle grab of tannins on the back.

Two hours later: A beautiful nose, but absolutely a ringer for Pinot Noir. I would have loved to throw this into a Pinot line up with friends. Soft ruby color wouldn’t have distracted anyone, either. Strange how Pinot-like it was at this stage, because…

Five hours later: …it became Nebbiolo the way the old schoolers used to do it. Earthy and tarry and just kissed by flowers and fruit. Still, the nose was not all that intense, and the palate seemed distant, like the girl who was trying not to look at you because she was about to break up with you.

24 hours later: A remarkable transformation. In no way complete, but much more open on the palate. That grace remains, but now there is a tannic grip that adds length. It’s an infant finally able to stretch its legs. Beautiful.

Where is this wine going? I’ll check back in some time in the 2020s. For now, it’s a mistake to open this wine, and not a pleasurable mistake. You don’t knock on the hotel room door of Pavarotti at 3am and expect him to jump up and belt out Caruso, do you?

If I ever do get tempted to open a great Barolo like this prematurely, be assured that the imagery of Pavarotti at his hotel door at 3am is seared in my warped brain and will stop me – mission accomplished, thank you!

Great post. My few experiences with too-young Monprivato have been similar. It isn’t searingly tannic and astringent like most Barolo at too early of an age, it’s just very mute and simple. It’s like Mascarello made a pleasant but basic $20 Langhe nebbiolo for you.

What are the latest Monprivato vintages to have blossomed into, if not full maturity, the beginning of a reasonable drinking window? I know 98 and 00 have, I’m not sure if 03 is doable or not yet. I would guess 99, 01 and 04+ should still wait, but I haven’t had any of those in recent years.

I had the $20 Langhe nebbiolo expression of the 99 a few years ago, doubly bad because I made the mistake of taking it to a restaurant, so there wasn’t time to sit on it for a day and see if it crawed out. I’ve seen a few recent posts saying people are drinking them now, but I’m definitely holding my last two bottles of 99 for many more years.

Great post!

I have '04 and '03 resting comfortably…

The 2007 is supposed to be an atypical Monprivato. Does anyone have first hand experience with it?

Everyone wants something different, but I’d hold the '99. If it shows anything like the '04, it’s just such a disappointment because the wine lets you know so authoritatively that you’ve made a mistake. That it isn’t ready to give.

Maybe the '99 is there; who knows? The 2001 G. Mascarello Santo Stefano Barolo is stunning right now. But of course that’s a different wine.

I tried the 07 at a tasting and found it pretty damn good for the vintage. I don’t have enough experience to comment how it might stack up with a long rest in the cellar to other vintages, but did think it had room to improve. I skipped buying any though, if that has any meaning for you…

IMO the '99 will be the best post '96 and is far from ready. I had one in 2011 and while it was a great bottle (had more than 10 hrs air time) it was evident that it’s still a ways out. So I’m holding and will likely crack the next one at age 20.

In the same spirit, I’m not touching '01, '04, '05 & '06 for a long while (I’ll take a crack at 12 or 15 year bday).

But the '00 and '03 are in the midst/beginning of their windows. I didnt buy more than a couple bottles of each and have already gone there (and will likely polish them in the next couple years).

I think '07 falls into this same latter grouping. In fact if you want to go there now, go for it! It’s a more forward wine (given the growing season) but in the hands of this producer can sing for a young Nebbiolo. I’ve been meaning to crack another one - had one at release and wasn’t my favorite vintage given the forwardness but it was still Monprivato. I think theses are going to drink well around age ten or so. My guess is I’ll follow a consumption pattern similar to '00 and '03, which is not to worry about drinking young since it doesn’t seem like it’s going to really develop into anything worth waiting for.

Nope. Don’t expect him to move at all.

I have a few 04s and 06s and have been tempted to open one up - wearing a lab coat, of course - as it would be for “scientific purposes.”
Thanks for the advice. If I do open one, it sounds like a long time in the decanter is required.

I have consumed the 06, 07 & 08 recently. They are pure, transparent examples of gorgeous nebbiolo. The 07 was also Pinot-Noir like with a lot of sap. Of the three, the 07 is the most open-knit, followed by the 08. The 06 is a sleeping giant.

How do you think the 08 compares to other recent vintages? Also, when would you expect it to be close to early maturity? (10 years from now?)

The 08 is a powerhouse. I look at it as a blend of 04 and 05 in terms of ripeness/style. Opening one now is more of an intellectual exercise than anything else- loads of delicious, primary fruit, tannin and tarry earth- rather disjointed. I’d say 2020-2030- and know that I like to drink Nebbiolo on the slightly younger side.

Arif - do tell me when you crack your '03’s and would suggest I do so! I’ve got a couple bottles waiting…

Todd - If you are in the Bay Area, let’s crack one (of mine) together!

This is a perfect description of almost every Monprivato I’ve ever had, except not just the nose - drinking it is like drinking it through a towel too - and not just immediately on opening. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Monprivato that was ready to drink.

flirtysmile

My experience with Giuseppe Mascarello is quite limited, but about five years ago, I organized a lunch focused on nine vintages of Monprivato, dating from 2001 back to 1971 (the 71 was labled as a Barolo D.O.C.G., if I recall correctly.) The 71 was great, and my impression was that I probably wouldn’t enjoy a Monprivato until it was age 20.

Can’t agree more with the OP.
Leave the 04 alone for another decade.
That said,there are several Monprivati ready to drink,just realize that they will continue to improve.
The 97,98,99,00,03 are ready to be enjoyed with the 97 being surprisingly more reserved in comparison.

I’m not sure the 98 ever closed down and has been delicious for several years.
My favorite of this quintet is easily the 99.

Closer to 30 for me, maybe more. I had an '85 a few months ago that tasted like it was still several years away.

What’s interesting is that I recall discussion early on of 2004 being among the more relatively “approachable” vintages for Barolo (this Asimov article in particular comes to mind: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/dining/reviews/04wine.html)

Yet, in discussion on WB and elsewhere, it sounds like if they were ever open, it was only for a brief window. In people’s experience, is the OP’s assessment more specific to the producer or could this be a broader observation about the vintage?