G. Mascarello 2004 Monprivato: Do not do it. Just don't. DON'T.

Certainly the nature of the specific vintage can provide some generalized drinking guidelines,but do not necessarily apply to all winemakers,especially those who are known for their “traditional” styles…and G Mascarello is one of them.Interestingly enough,Mauro Mascarello characterized his 03 Monprivato as more structured,powerful, intense and classic in style…actually preferring it to his 01.

I have found the 03 to be more burgundian and approachable,so…go figure.
So trying to square press comments on 04 with several different winemakers’ wines can be difficult unless you approach them individually.

It is certainly a feature of this producer, but I can also say that a bottle of Marcarini 2004 Brunate was similarly tight. However, that was a couple of years ago. I was briefly convinced that the wine was just light and non-complex. I’ve been persuaded to hold my other bottle for a long time.

Keith,

Have you tried the 98? It’s never not been ready. Silky and smooth (for a traditional Barolo anyway). I would think the 2003 might be similar, but haven’t tried it. All the Monprivatos from the 70s are drinking well now, and the 1980 is a lovely wine if you can find a well-stored bottle. The 1967 Barolo is a glorious wine that includes Monprivato grapes (as well as Villero and Bussia Soprano).

I had the 98 a few years after release (not recently) and thought it tasted like drinking cotton. Every now and then there are posts here about how some or another vintage of Monprivato is showing gloriously, which I also think tastes like drinking cotton.

Then it’s just not for you.

I don’t think you can say that just on account of a difference of opinion about when it’s ready to drink.

Cotton?
Not as appetizing as animal fur…

Hmmm.
Seems like he just did. [scratch.gif]
Didn’t he?
I’m sure he did.

I’ve been sitting on some 2004…

This basic $20 Langhe Nebbiolo is now pushing $40 for the 2010 release. I’ve yet to crack one and had sort of forgotten about them, until your reminder. Good vintage and producer, so hoping the trickle down effect applies here.

I’m still: (a) puzzling over what the “tastes like drinking cotton” expression means in this context, and (b) wondering if Bill Moore is a lawyer.

Lucky you!

Chris, I’m a consultant, so the pun is equally apt.

I’ll try to save a bottle of mine for the next NY Berserkerfest so we can slug one down.

Beautiful wine on release…amazingly approachable. No regrets opening one back then.

Thanks, Evan, for saving me from my own curiosity. I’m going to try to forget I own any…

I wasn’t responding to your comment just about the 1998, but the implication that you’ve had much older vintages of Monprivato: “Every now and then there are posts here about how some or another vintage of Monprivato is showing gloriously, which I also think tastes like drinking cotton.” which I assume means too tannic. If you think the 1970 or 71 or even the 82 or 85 “tastes like drinking cotton.” then Monprivato is not for you. It’s ok. Not everyone has to like every wine.

Most of those “glorious showing” threads I mentioned relate to recent vintages like late '90s stuff, etc., where even lesser and less structured nebbiolos would strike me as ridiculously young to drink. Not truly aged stuff. When people say that Monprivato just a few years past release is drinking great, I am absolutely flummoxed. It makes no sense to me.
The '85 I mentioned was not quite in the cotton territory but still a few years away from being resolved IMO.
I’ve never had the '70 or '71. I would imagine those would be perfectly ready to drink, and probably spectacular.

'97 Monprivato is drinking really well right now. Give it several hours of air and it will come out of that hotel room and sing you some show tunes.

Drank 2 of these tonight…
1st one…i stupidly did a double decant…oxidized
second bottle very nice but tight.
Agree…wait on these…and in my mind…NEVER decant

That shouldn’t be. I’ve had a number of double-decanted Monprivatos that were much older and survived with flying colors. Something wasn’t right about that bottle.