Romanee Saint Vivant - owners and history

Romanee Saint-Vivant is a very interesting vineyard and in my view a rising star in Burgundy. The history of the vineyard and ownership is however somewhat complex…

I have tried to map the historic and current ownership of RSV … below is a map of the southern part of RSV.

The rest can be found in the full article along with maps and the historic ownership of the different plots.

Enjoy!

These wines have a very special place in my heart. They are so spicy and very feminine compared to La Tache and Richebourg.

I have a question for you.

Does Vincent Mugnier from JJ Confuron get his grapes from the Poisot plot or one of the others?

That Louis Latour plot is HUGE. DRC I know is 5 hectares of the old Marey-Monge plot. The other 3 hectares plus belong to Louis Latour now. The DRC plot has to be up there close to Louis Latour.

So many questions here. Thanks for doing this.

Addendum: Now after reading this fabulous piece. My questions are answered. As I said before, you could charge for this kind of information. What a treat. Many thanks Steen!
You should write a book. No kidding this is really well organized and informative. For others, the map above is only one very small section of RSV. A famous one however.

Confuron has his own plot in the nothern part … the Louis Latour plot was 1.6 ha and split between Louis Latour and his sister Poisot - back in 1902. 0.8 ha is still owned by Louis Latour - Poisot has 0.5 ha and l’Arlot has 0.25 ha.

What’s the inheritance tax like in France these days?

If it’s anything like the USA, then I don’t see how any of these families could afford to pay it so as to keep their holdings in these famous vineyards.

Steen:

Another great post and resource. I think, however, you may be missing an owner: Franck Follin, of the primarily Aloxe/Pernand estate, Domaine Follin-Arbelet. I haven’t had time to check the Pitiot resource I linked to in my response of your Richebourg opus of the other day (he lists owners of all the Grands Crus), but I know Follin-Arbelet makes a RSV. (I own some!) Jasper Morris in Inside Burgundy doesn’t list him as an owner, but I have found him a little less complete than the Pitiot Climats book.

As far as I know he owns the vines there and that is the impression, however vaguely expressed, I get from Kermit Lynch’s profile as well.

Follin-Arbelet makes his vine on the Poisot plot. His wife is related to the Poisot family (Latour). Remi Poisot also makes wine on this plot.

Well that was fast! Thanks.

Steen,
great overview!

Question: what about Follin-Arbelet?
As far as I´m concerned Michel Voarick worked the Poiset-parcel on a sharecropping contract until (app.) 1990, afterwards Follin-Arbelet. Both are certainly no negociants.

Also Drouhin got their RSV from this source.
Or am I wrong?

Gerhard - Voarick’s RSV was made on the Poisot plot … most likely on the plot they sold to l’Arlot back in 1990. Poisot had 0.75 ha but 0.25 ha was sold of in 1990.

I have tried to make a overview of the different wines made on RSV … in this article:

Thank you Steen.

I read you note on the 2004 Hudelot Noellat RSV. A little bit of pine needles but generally sounded quite good. Did you ever have that wine previously?

No first bottle

Steen,
looking on your article: I´m not so sure that Voarick and later Follin-Arbelet were negociants … rather sharecroppers (metayage) for the (or any) Poisot-parcel … so the wines are always labelled as “domaine-bottled” …
Poisot are bottling themselves only since 2009 … so somebody must have worked the vines, harvested, vinified before … and I think these were Voarick and Follin-Arbelet.

VoaricK: I own a Magnum of 1979 RSV - and have tasted a 1989 in addition …
I also know several more vintages by Drouhin and Jadot in the nineties … and a lot more negociant-bottlings in general.

Best
Gerhard

Thx for your comments … True they are not negociant wines in the traditional sense … but most likely metayage deals. Will change this in the article.

On some Follin-Arbelet labels the owner is mentioned as Propriete des heritiers de Pierre Poisot.

Poisot actually bottled a little even before 2009 … at least back to 2003 … but most likely each year. Tasted the 2011 and 2012 at the Domaine with Remi Poisot in March.

I really love this post , thank you . Very interesting data . Now , I saw this before on my nephew’s website ( Vinotopia ) in slightly different form , also Richebourg and St.Vivant with some differences from where you are now . I expect this is because it was a different time perspective from your last overview . Ownership tends to change quickly these days .
Now , an overview of the premier cru’s from Vosne Romanee would be really interesting too .

Steen

Your article is fabulous. What a great job. And thanks for the cadastre maps. They’re very useful.

There are/were a surprsingly massive amount of RSV ‘producers’ or perhaps that should be labelers!
A long time ago I planned to open a 99 Romanée-Conti on my 50th birthday (which was last year) but didn’t get allocated one - so I thought I’d buy up all the 99 RSVs and have an even bigger dinner - stupid really as together they cost far more than 1 bottle of RC - at least back then!!

There are a few that I didn’t manage to find at the time (I haven’t bought one for over 10 years as I’m a provenance-aholic) , which are no-longer to be found (either physically, or in a ‘fiscally sustainable’ way), including:
Leroy
JJ Confuron
Albert Bichot
Aergeter
Vincent Girardin
Follin-Arbelet
Poisot (an assumption - I never saw it listed then, but do now…)

However, I have bottles of:
l’Arlot
Arnoux
Cathiard
Champy
Clavelier
DRC
Drouihn
Grivelet
Hudelot-Noellat
Jadot
Louis Latour
Moillard-Grivot
Parent
Potel
Rodet
Thomas-Moillard

So-far, I think there are 22-23 bottlings (labelings!) from that vintage - anybody spot one I’ve missed.
Actually, I’m not sure whether they will be quite ready for my 60th brthday :wink:

Bill,
The JJ Confuron RSV is an absolutely lovely bottle. I hope you find that one.

Love these articles. Please keep posting.

Still easy to find that one Don, but I typically baulk at the price or provenance - often both! Usually with good provenance means that the cases still lie in (UK) bond - so never left prof. storage - but that also means the sellers rarely split cases (6 or 12) and a couple of bottles is enough for me given the price premium that vintage attracts… still, I guess there are not many people with 40 bottles of RSV from that vintage :wink:

Bill,

I never heard of a Clavelier RSV.