Romanee Saint Vivant - owners and history

Billnanson - certaily looks like a most impressive collection of RSV. Should be a great tasting - but as you say … 1999 needs quite a long time in the cellar.

Cheers

That´s for sure the “Maison Clavelier” in Comblachien … not the Domaine in Vosne-Romanée.
I´ve seen several vintages of RSV by them, though cannot remember if a 99.

Thanks for posting this Steen. Excellent data and I know it’s a work in progress since I first saw it when you posted on Facebook. Good work!

Excellent article, Stee, thanks for sharing! I thought I knew the history of the RSV vineyard but I learned a few things.

That you for the Richebourg and RSV articles. Very timely as I just bought a little of both from Hudelot Noellat.

Indeed it is Gerhard

Friends,

Steen deserves all the praise he gets. Better still is to subscribe to his excellent informative WINEHOG publication. Whereas ROMANEE-ST-VIVANT is concerned : watch out for the ever improving cuvée made by CHARLES LACHAUX. Hope prices do not become stratospheric. Also look for the new kid on the block: young MEUNIER who took over vinification at JJ CONFURON. He makes the most interesting QP version R-St-V.
SINCERELY JOHAN

The Alain and Sophie’s son took over the vinification of some of the lesser cuvees the last time I visited. Maybe 8 years ago? He led the tasting of all the wines while his dad came in at the end completely covered in mud from working out in the field. He vinified the red cotes des nuits villages at that time. He was very young but you could tell, very bright. The wine was stunning. Showing how great a cotes des nuits villages can be. I can only imagine how good he is now. I am on the lookout.

Fwiw I ve tasted 2017 Arnoux-L NSG Poiset last week:
strange, much brighter that usual (the 2012 was deep ruby and full bodied), kind of dusty nose but def. NOT corked, a bit astringent and quite short, no harmony, quite disapointing even for Village, if this is the improvement, no thanks, and it was more expensive than the 2016 (not yet tasted).

I’m new to Burgundy wines, and I know a lot of folks knock Louis Latour for their pasteurization process, but of their RSVs I’ve tried (2010 and 2014), I thought they were marvelous! I even picked up a few 2016s.

My question to all of you more experienced burg-lovers… price aside, is a bottle of 2016 Dujac RSV that much better than a bottle of 2016 Louis Latour RSV?

I ve not tasted their 2016s but I’ d say YES, it should be better … depends on what you mean with “that much” …
L.Latour usually has a certain typical lactic (some say) cooked component that I dislike, (hints of tomatoe sugo) - it compromises purity and fruit expression … although the RSV is not a bad wine, but I don’ t buy it.

Thanks Robert. Since I’m priced out of Dujac and Cathiard, curious if you think Poisot and L’Arlot are great examples on an uncooked RSV style?

I’m not Robert, but I’d say that l’Arlot are very often, and unfairly, forgotten. I’d expect them to significantly outperfom L.Latour…

As far as I m concerned Poisot only makes RSV since 2009/10 - until then the wine (all or most of it) was produced by Follin-Arbelet, still earlier by Michel Voarick. I haven´t yet tasted the Poisot version.
L´Arlot makes a very stylish and elegant version (despite the label) from their own vines, usually a very good example.

I have to agree with this, Bill. I don’t seek them out actively, but all Arlots from the 2000s (their Nt St Georges 1er crus) have been good to great. Maybe they fly under the radar due to their corporate ownership? It doesn’t really fit with the narrative of a small, family-owned winery.

Still have 4 RSV 1999 from Nicolas Potel… another one to add. Mind you, if you do a diner /lunch with RSV 99s, I am ready to join and bring my own… (I am a Londoner)

Anyone try Louis Jadot RSV? I’m thinking of picking up a 1990 as a special treat for Christmas dinner.

Great to hear. I just lucked into snagging a 6 pack of the 2018 for sub $400.

Bravo - you often have to pay that for their Suchots these days! Come to think of it, allocations of that and the Suchots are rarely as much as 6 bottles these days…