I Got Fu**ed!!

Or, “Behold the Power of Wine Berserkers.”

My wife and I teach the baptism class one Thursday night a quarter at our Catholic Church, and because our kids are still young, we have to get a sitter. So, we usually figure it’s a good opportunity to have a dinner out just the two of us afterwards.

On our short drive to church, my wife suggests we go to The Playground in Santa Ana, and she looks on her iPhone and makes an 8:45 reservation, which is the earliest they have. Once we get there and are seated at one of the high tables around the perimeter, I look over and see three young men with a table full of wine and wine glasses, and one of them appears to be our very own Charlie Fu, who I met once very briefly and who I recognize from his infamous avatar.

So I went over and reintroduced myself, he introduced me to his two buddies, and it turned out they were just winding down and leaving, and all three very enthusiastically and emphatically offered that my wife and I take the rest of their open bottles. These were not just any wine bottles, they were: Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia 2000, La Mission Haut Brion 1976, Geantet-Pansiot Charmes Chambertain 1999 and Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets 2008. Though if there had been Screaming Eagle, he had already poured it down the drain before I arrived. The bottles had anywhere from 2 ounces to a half bottle full of each.

I had hastily grabbed a bottle of 2010 Cabot Pinot Noir Nash Mill Vineyard on my way out the door before the baptism class, and we had a glass each of that before our astonishing windfall arrived, but I recorked the rest and brought it home to kick off tomorrow night.

I didn’t take notes, but a few quick impressions:

Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia 2000. Young, but really outstanding, showcasing the relative size of the vintage yet with a seamless classic Barolo profile.

La Mission Haut Brion 1976. Beautifully mature, with softened tannins, sweet dark fruit, lots of tobacco leaf and herb, and a velvety plush texture. If not quite a home run of classic Bordeaux, probably a triple into the right center gap at AT&T Park.

Geantet-Pansiot Charmes Chambertain 1999. A bit tight and tough, though it continued to open over the evening (this was about a half bottle). Lots of mineral water and stems on the nose, almost but not quite to the point of being a bit unpleasant, but then more enjoyable in the mouth, with the slender fruit finally shining through. An incomplete grade, but an interesting wine that probably just needs more time.

Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets 2008. Only a couple of swallows of this left, but it compelled me to order a few oysters which went perfectly with it. On the fleshier and riper side of the spectrum (though that might partly have been the wine being at room temperature and mostly finished), it still also had great seashell and mineral character.

2010 Cabot Pinot Noir Nash Mill Vineyard. Early on, this was a less exuberant and more complex California pinot, with lots of pine needle, stem and earthy notes to go with medium red berry fruit. The wine was still fairly dense and not, according to my guess, showing all of its range, but it showed promise, and day two of the wine tomorrow may reveal more.

Behold the power of Wine Berkerkers. Thanks to Charlie and his friends for their thoughtfulness, thanks to Todd and the WB community for moments like this one, and a tip of the glass to you all.

1 Like

I was hoping for something salacious, but this tale is much better. What a massive Fu** up. Cheers.

Wow. You’re fast with the notes Chris. I thought Charlie introduced you as Chris Ziegler of WB. I couldn’t recall a Chris Ziegler but now it’s nice to put a face to the name.

Here are my quick thoughts:

• 1976 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (5/10/2013)
    Slow ox’ed for 6 hours. This was beautiful from the beginning. Aromas of tobacco leaf, smoke, and worn leather on the nose. The palate had some sweetness, fruit, and no hints of green. Tannins and acid were completely integrated. I imagine this is in a perfect place. I cannot imagine it being better with age and I cannot imagine it having been better years ago. Outstanding.

• 2000 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/10/2013)
    An intoxicating Nebbiolo nose with a palate of strawberries, mocha, and a nice lingering sweetness. There was some mature tones in the color. It’s hard to believe this is so open and approachable for a 13 year old Barolo, but that’s why I went with the 2000 instead of another 1999 or 2001. Plenty of structure here and this isn’t going downhill anytime soon.

• 2008 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault Les Luchets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (5/10/2013)
    My first Roulot. Lots of honey, rich stone fruit, but backed by nice lemon acidity. Very balanced even at this stage. Delicious. Just downright delicious.

• 1999 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (5/10/2013)
    Lots of meaty aroma. The palate contained bright red fruit but also a wall of tannins and acidity. This is still in a closed phase and needs more time.

That’s awesome!

Also tells me, we pay young studly lawyers like FU way too much! :wink:

Which is OK as long as he’s spreading the love… flirtysmile

1 Like

I keep missing them–was there Wed night and had just a mixed drink–Captain’s Blood with a great rum–Zaya. It is a 12 yr old Trinidad rum. Had to run out and buy a bottle of that.
alan

FU me Charlie, FU me!

I was wondering how Charlie could not only afford SE, but how could he so righteously pour it down the drain. Now I know…just another over paid lawyer. [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

I want to be FU’d by Charlie also - a new verb in the English language :slight_smile:. Next Month Charlie ;p?

1 Like

Very nice to meet you last night, Fred. Thanks again for hooking us up.

My first time having dinner at The Playground – absolutely fantastic food and service. The signature dish, the sous vide pork chop (must be 3 pounds or so) with the maple glaze, was the best (and biggest) pork chop I’ve had in my whole life. Incredible.

2 Likes

Zaya is fantastic rum - I kept mine in the freezer and just sipped it

Charlie snubs us locals on a regular basis. I’m 5 mins from The Playground. F-I-V-E.

I guess I can feel ok that we snubbed Fubomb on Tuesday at Charlie Palmer…drinking til they closed down.

Only wine board men have ever said the words, “I want to get Fu**ed by Charlie!”

I am always impressed by the empty bottle test.

Chris: Geantet-Pansiot Charmes Chambertain 1999. this was about a half bottle

Fred: still in a closed phase and needs more time.

Chris: Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets 2008. Only a couple of swallows of this left,

Fred: Delicious. Just downright delicious.

2 Likes

I was looking around thinking i’d see ya there. If we were doing a more planned dinner I was gonna shoot you an email, but this was super last moment.

I’m tryin I’m tryin! Wife was just complaining about me being out last night, gotta let the dust settle :wink:

If it makes you feel any better, we just decided to go at 10pm on Wed. At around 2pm yesterday I was sitting around talking to joe and fred and brought up asking if you wanted to come to dinner. I even typed up an email around 3. Then I thought “ah the guy probably has to take care of his kid, too short notice.” Next time next time [snort.gif]

Doesn’t that part of Santa Ana (where you live) have lockdown at 8pm? I"m guessing you couldn’t get out of your house.

1 Like

Chris it was great seeing you again. Sorry I was all flustered, I was trying to get some cash that I owed Fred ;D. Glad you enjoyed the wines.

I thought everything was singing except for the 99 Geantet. When that was first opened it was like an acid wash in my mouth. The acid resolved but it just never showed all that much in the end.

The 76 La mission was slow ox’d for about 6 hours prior to dinner. Man it was so well put together. La Mission is definitely my favorite bordeaux producer and this just shows why. Even if “off” vintages it tasted really good. The cool silky fruit, the touch of tobacco, you can just down that bottle by yourself… so easy drinking.

The 08 Roulot Luchets was far riper than I thought it’d be. Very expansive and a touch fat. I still enjoyed it, but really a start contrast of the leaner village dits from the same vintage of Roulot. In fact it was almost Charmes like in its opulence without that killer backbone of acidity.

The 2000 Conterno Granbussa was in a very good place. The palate was forward and sexy but not too much so, still showing its youth. What was really exciting was that perfumed nose of violets and bright fruit. Really great.

Also had a bottle of NV krug that I thought was way too young. Really yeasty at the time, never thought it gave up that richness that I expect from Krug.

I’m in an open access area now.

Oh, this beast? I thought it was a cake when they brought it out. champagne.gif

I have pictures of the menu, food, and tasting notes here:
http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=21328

[resizeableimage=800,450]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/brigca/CTGS/IMAG0422_zpsbcbc07a4.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Yes, and in fact, the last time we ordered the pork chop, someone said “who ordered the cake”? I think that was you, Mr Brig Campbell! Was funny, as it kind of looks like a big 'ol slice of chocolate cake.

12 of us ate dinner there a few weeks back and I again thought it was really great. The wild mushroom dish was a great match for the pinot. I had brought a 2011 Kutch SC and it was a great pair.

I didn’t see Charlie there so he must have taken the night off from P/G.