Spanish Wines: How about some positive talk and recs from people in the know!

Quite a few people have chimed in with what seemed like terrific knowledge of Spanish wines and the regions, including Wine store owners.

I would love to get a good thread going, full of recommendations in all price ranges, for Reds, whites, and I guess even bubbles.

IF you suggest wines that you sell, all the better!!!

Maybe this will draw us away from the Sierra Carche thread for a while and give ourselves a rest…a well deserved rest too.

Let’s hear all the great recs that we have heard people talking about!! [thankyou.gif]

I haven’t been disappointed with El Nido Clio…'04 & '05. I have yet to try any '06, but I know that Loring is a HUGE fan.

Our favorite personal discovery: http://www.bodegaslolicasado.com/pag/inicio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaun de Alzate
de Bodegas Loli Casado, Lapuebla de Labarca, Rioja Alavesa
“First the founder, then the son, now the granddaughter, Loli, heir to a tradition that the passage of time has transformed into a passion for a way of life and feeling for the earth where wine is culture and culture feeds the tradition.” That is the mission statement of this 75 year old winery (most of whose vines are that old as well!) in the heart of La Rioja. It’s working! Situated between 360 and 400 meters elevation the vineyards (85% Tempranillo with small sections of Mazuelo and Graciano) are terraced into the hillsides with the best southern exposure for maximum dosage of sunlight. After harvest and fermentation, the wines are matured in older barriques placed deep into caves cut into the hillsides.

Jaun de Alzate Rioja Blanco 2007, Rioja Alavesa
Fellow traveler Eric Asimov of The New York Times once enthused about Rioja Blanco that “The best modern versions are light-bodied, lively and dry, like pinot grigio with a brain. They are refreshing, with zingy acidity, and yet they can still have a great deal of flavor.” Mostly Viura (also known as Macebo), this crisp, floral and minerally white has no twigs to get in your teeth or in the way of your second glass and will pair nicely with a wide range of fish or fowl (and don’t forget pork!).

Jaun de Alzate Graciano 2006, Rioja Alavesa
Graciano is a plump, meaty and juicy variety that is usually blended into Rioja to up the bumptuality factor. Some of you may have unwittingly consumed some when you bought a bottle of Sardegnan Cagnulari here and it may even be closely related to our beloved Tintillia from Molise. At any rate, on its own, it is a fun alternative to Syrah / Montepulciano / Zin whenever some hungry man food needs a hand at the table.

Jaun de Alzate Riserva 2001, Rioja Alavesa

Jaun de Alzate Gran Reserva 1995, Rioja Alavesa
Tempranillo 90 %, Mazuelo 5% and Graciano 5% from 60 - 80 year old vines, all co-fermented (without crushing the fruit first) in stainless steel tanks for three weeks with the must being slowly pumped up over the skins. The wines are then matured in fresh oak barrels for a short time then sent to the caves in older barrels for long seasoning (up to four years) before bottling. In the glass these silky smooth wines have a cherry red color with brick edges and is rich in perfumes of stewed black fruits, leather, earth, tobacco and spices. Definitively WINE and not fruit juice!

Classic, delicious, affordable. No “Brand Creation” needed!

Steve:

That is a very difficult question to answer in one post. Spain has more than 60 DO’s and has more vineyards planted than any other wine producing country in the world.

The most recognized regions for reds in Spain are Rioja, Ribera del Duero, Priorat, Toro & Bierzo although other regions are catching up.

From the top of my head I will give you a few recomendations on producers that you could depend on pretty much year in and year out from the above regions:

Rioja:

Traditional:
Imperial
López de Heredia (Tondonia or Bosconia)
Marqués de Murrieta (Castillo Ygay)
Muga Prado Enea
La Rioja Alta (Ardanza, 890 & 904)
Viña Real

Modern
Contino
Pujanza
Remírez de Ganuza
San Vicente
Sierra Cantabria

Ribera del Duero
Alión
Aalto
Astrales
Emilio Moro
Mauro (Just outside the DO)

Priorat:
Clos Erasmus
Clos Fontá
Clos Martinet
Vall Llach

Toro
San Román
Dos Victorias

Bierzo
Dominio de Tares
Descendientes J. Palacios
Paixar

I know that I am missing quite a few but this is just to start the ball rolling.

SALUDos,
José

I think that Alto Moncayo Aquilon is one of the top five grenache based wines I have had.

I’d recommend the Txakoli Itsas Mendi No. 7 for those interested in Txakoli. Mendraka is also very nice.

For Sherries, the fino Inocente by Valdespino, the Hidalgo Manzanilla Pasada Pastrana, the Argüeso Manzanilla San León Reserva de la Familia are three off the top of my head.

We tried the Alto Concayo 2006 Alto Moncayo recently (Chris Ringland) and loved it.

There are so many, here’s a few more to add:
D’Ventura Vina Caneiro Ribeira Sacra
Bodegas Zabrin Atteca Old Vine Garnacha Calatayud
Bodegas Izadi
Numanthia
Mas Doix
Mas Garrian del Camperol
Tinto Figuero Noble
Vinedos de Paganos El Puntido Rioja

Carrie, I liked the Alto Moncayo AM as well. Actually tasted it blind and liked it more than SQN ITD.

The Aquilon is one serious btl of wine. I fell in love when I visited in 2006. Expensive, yes, but great juice.

Pintia from Toro is something I always like as well.

After the Coma Vella last night, we had a delicious 2005 Emilio Moro Ribero. Excellent! I loved the Malleolus when it was like $50/btl retail.

What are the other 4? I love this wine. It scored second to a Colgin Syrah at a blind Rhone varietals OL in New York last month. The Moncayo (mid level) and Veraton (entry level) are also both excellent. Modern style and fruit forward.

I always like the Muga special super reserve Rioja (that’s not it’s real name). The 2 downsides are 1) Price has skyrocketed, it’s pushing $100 and 2) They insist on using one of those obnoxious 5 pound bottles

2007 Pazo de Senorans Albarino. Our pool side quaffer.

Also Muga Prada Enea. Earthy and classic. The Torre is more modern but also good.

I am somewhat partial to some Priorat wines. Clos Mogador, big, beastly, minerally, wonderful. Mas Doix, mindblowing. Finca Dofi is quite yummy. Clos Martinet, can’t go wrong. Vall Llach too.

Torre Muga and agreed on all counts

It’s kind of a random thread though, isn’t it? Unless you break it out like Jose, you get a random list of very different wines. For example, the Moncayo - it’s made by Chris Ringland from Australia for Jorge Ordonez and designed to get big points from WA - really really ripe, sweet, and slathered in buttery oak. The big brother the Aquilon is more of the same, although I’ve tended to prefer the Moncayo. If you like that sort of wine, and why not, then you may as well look at all the rest of their wines - Clio, El Nido, etc. They’re all pretty much the same style - big, ripe, oaky, and built for 95 - 120 points. The fact that they are monastrell, garnacha, cabernet, or whatever is not particularly relevant. In the same vein would be something like Numanthia or Termanthia from Toro - different winemakers but big, ripe, oaky, sweet. Those are wines that would likely appeal to someone who loved big Australian grenache or shiraz as well and of course, they get the 98 - 100 points from certain critics, as well as projected lifespans of decades or more, notwithstanding the fact that the wineries in most cases aren’t even a decade old. And from time to time, I do like those wines, so I’m not knocking them. But they’re of a type. If I were a retailer and someone asked me for a Mollydooker and I didn’t have it, I’d show them some of these wines or Turley zins.

Somewhat different are the “modern” style wines that are from places like Rioja and Ribera del Duero. Jose listed some of those - I guess the Ordonez-design might be Sierra Cantabria or Calvario. Not knocking those either, I actually drank the Sierra Cantabria crianza with dinner tonight, even tho it’s the competition. But I prefer those wines anyhow, probably because Mr. Ringland isn’t involved, at least as far as I know, and those still taste like they might be Spanish. They’re not as alcoholic or over the top as the earlier ones, and in fact may turn out to be really long-lived too, which I kind of think the others are not going to be.

Toned down a little bit is one of my favorites - Bodegas Roda. Their top wine is Cirson, but it doesn’t merit the price IMO and the wine formerly called Roda I is just outstandingly good. Modern in that it’s drinkable fairly young and has really approachable fruit, but has a long life and it’s tempranillo-based so it’s going to be good when it’s old. They’re nearby to Lopez de Heredia which is the opposite in all respects. That’s the wine people love to trot out, probably because it’s one of the few they know, but it’s worth a mention. Traditional in style and probably the closest to what people used to drink back in the 1800s when they drank claret. Very high in acidity and light in body, and when aged maybe reminiscent of something like barolo, but the acidity is not as fierce as it is in nebbiolo and the wine really does unfold for hours, showing layers of nuance that not many wines can match. In that vein, Marques de Murrietta is a wine that if you’re lucky, can hold on and develop for many years, and so can the CVNE wines and I’ve had Monte Real from the 1980s that is just outstanding. But these are a world apart from the Aquilons and such - you can actually see through the glass, whereas the others are dark, inky, and light just disappears into them.

And there are many many more. In Ribera del Duero for example, there are wonderful wines that don’t get much hype. If you rely on a critic to clue you in, you better pick a critic who has tasted broadly.

And there are many good whites as well.

I recall you recommended this to me around a month ago. I ordered several bottles from Spain. A friend from Barcelona is bringing them back here for me within a week’s time. I can’t wait to get to try it with more kokotxas de bacalao al pilpil!

Steve,

Though I grew up drinking Bdx and Burgs, I have learned to love Spanish wines within the past 2-½ to 3 years and have been exploring them a lot lately. I’ve posted on many Spanish wines and dinners here, but they draw fewer hits as compared to my posts on Burgundy and Bordeaux. Pity.

In any event, here are the links to most all of my posts here that feature either all or mostly Spanish wines:

Albariño tasting dinner

Rueda, Jumilla, Rioja, Bierzo and Málaga

Txakoli and Kokotxas, etc.

All Spanish wine Dinner

Rosados and Rioja with Pintxos

Chuletón with Spanish reds and others

Dinner with Good Value Spanish Wines

Mostly Spanish Wine Lunch

Spanish Dinner with Mostly Spanish Wines

'01 Remírez de Ganuza, '87 Unico, etc.

Vega Sicilia Dinner with Pablo Álvarez

Spanish Dinner with Spanish Wines

Mmmm… A “goodwill thread to show that, after all the hair-pulling and scorn on Spanish wine, we show that we are fair and magnanimous.”

I’m afraid it’s going to be a bit more complicated than that.

Jose,

This is what I am looking for. To begin with, a breakdown of regions and styles. Then, for recs in price ranges. Everyone will have their “range” that they may be interested.

And finally, I should have also put that “preferences” to wines that TWA has not really reviewed, but certainly not excluding them.

Thanks for that breakdown, and a starting point. Of course, I also appreciate the recs others have offered.