2009 Burgundy ,Clive Coates

after 3 years,also 2002 10 years after
http://www.clive-coates.com/tastings/vintage/2009-vintage

Thanks for posting, Roman. I’m not a big fan of 2009 in general, but I had the Roumier Cras a few weeks ago and agree with Coates’ assessment of that wine. I’m really interested to see what happens to the vintage over time.
A

Thanks for posting this, it’s always a nice read.

All those grand cru reds must have been in tuxedos–everything is either classy or having lots of class according to the tasting notes pileon

I would have said many '09s reds are big and slutty, as opposed to classy…

There’s a time and a place for everything… :wink:

I agree but the fruit is pure although ripe. Only the time will tell. I am a big fan.

I’m also a big fan. Slut or not, I haven’t had any hot or candied stuff. Just lots of rich fruit and complexly even on the village level.

+3. Clean rich fruit

I turned my nose up as I tasted through these in bottle next to the 10’s in barrel. A bottle of J Claude Rateau GC last night along with a Lafarge Volnay a few weeks back has me starting to think I was a bit naïve in thinking I had a grip on the 09 character. J Claude Rateau was fresh, even racy and packed with plenty of curvy mid palate “matière”. Great ripeness with a terrific acidity playing off of it.

I am with Bill, “time and place for everything”. But like plenty of other slutty things…reliability across the board might not be as good as the “regular” vintages.

For me hedonistic but not slutty. Just like 09 Bordeaux, the 09 Burgundy will lose baby fat. What I love about the 09s is the silky tannins, good acidity and pure and sweet fruit. Some Burgundy traditionalists seem to love to dismiss the vintage. The difference between the 09 and the 10 is obvious but I dont think the 10 is necessarily better especially at the 1er and GC level.

I was kind of surprised Coates refers to '09 as a very good, but not great vintage and then ranks the red wines overall as an 18.5. His own ranking system is:

20.0 - Excellent
19.5 - Very fine indeed
19.0 - Very fine plus
18.5 - Very fine
18.0 - Fine plus
17.5 - Fine
17.0 - Very good indeed
16.5 - Very good plus
16.0 - Very good
15.5 - Good plus
15.0 - Good

Same thing with Allen Meadows ranking '11 over '09 (assuming no green meanies in '11) yesterday. The scores seem to suggest both guys think of '09 as a top tier vintage; Coates even refers to it as 1999+, but then the writing suggests otherwise. From my experiences with '09 (I didn’t taste the '11s in barrel), I’m excited with the wines and look forward to drinking them over the next several decades.

I’m with you Kevin.

i’ve actually been seeing some clearance pricing on 09’s right now. Just ridiculously low stuff. Can’t wait for 2011 and 2012 to be released and I can jump even more on the 09

Yeah. Any Burgundy collector with two brain cells will have already been stuffed full with 09 and 10 by the time the 11s and 12s arrive, so few people will be “forced” into buying inferior wine at inflated prices. And reversion to the mean makes it extremely likely 13 and/or 14 will be bumper crops, so even if one didn’t load up on 09/10 one can just wait. Or am I making too much sense here?

The 11 at least will be the equivalent of the 06 and the 07 Bordeaux.

Great read…thanks for posting!!

Last I checked I was several ahead of two. Some people who collect Burgundy like to taste the characteristics of the vineyard, the vintage, etc. As I stated before, I am buying some of the wines I have verticals of and don’t want to lose allocations AND look forward to dinners where I pour verticals for flights. I would rather have 3pks of lots of wines over 09.10.11 than 9 bottles of 2010. But that’s just me. I am currently drinking through a bunch of 87 Rouget Ech…horrible vintage…I am not such an idiot for owning them though.

Make sense to you. To me, not as much. That’s the beauty of HOBBIES.

And, as I told Alex, I have allocations of LT, Carillon BBM, Cuvee Chris, etc etc etc that I do not want to lose.

+1 and well said Kevin. Reminds me more of 2002 than 99, richer fruit but less acidity but not lacking in grip though not as sublimely balanced or quite as transparent. While I ultimately prefer 1999 and do find it the more classic of the 2, the 2002s were delicious on release as they are today and I for one enjoy the occasional opulent, flashy vintage though with a full cellar of older vintages and disgust over current Burg pricing, I’ve bought very little.

Ok,

Slutty perhaps not the best word, but you all know what I mean…