Rhys Spring 2013

2009 Rhys Skyline Vineyard Syrah ($59)
2010 Rhys Family Farm Vineyard Pinot Noir ($59)
2010 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir ($59)
2010 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay ($69)
2010 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot Noir ($79)
2010 Rhys Skyline Vineyard Pinot Noir ($99)
2010 Rhys Family Farm Vineyard Pinot Noir Magnum ($139)
2010 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir Magnum ($139)

Notes? thoughts? availability of the home/skyline pinots? If i followed it accurately, the productions were way down and allocation might be tiny?

I’m all in as uaual on these!

I received a rejection letter from Rhys last September stating that I couldn’t be offered any wine for the fall release but that they expected to be able to give me an allocation for the coming spring 2013 release. You think this was just smoke and mirrors given the low quantities? I’ve never had Rhys but the buzz is so strong I have to give them a try!

I went ahead and did a quick read on Antonio’s reviews and IWC. I am inclined to give Antonio some real credence here. While IWC notes tend to read very formulaic, with typical IWC descriptors, Antonio comes across as much more improvisational. Comparing his 09 and 10 notes to the wines I have had, he is spot on. In fact, he has made several specific references to very small details that mirror my notes. That is very unusual for me to come upon in professional tasting notes; at best showing that his tasting is very thoughtful, and at least showing that his palate is very much aligned with mine.

Going to be a brutal offer… and acceptance.

I just got the email, finally off the wait list.

Looking forward to it. I need to coax my credit card out of the corner where it’s been hiding since last fall.

Kevin - Any idea when you think the drinking recommendation chart will be updated?

Thanks.

Todd,
We are working on getting that done prior to the release on the 5th. We are also working a website re-design on the same timeline.

I received the same email you did, and today I received an email stating I would receive an allocation on one of the Bearwallow pinot.

My initial thoughts:

• wow that’s a lot of Pinot. and no ‘cheaper’ sorts to lessen the credit card blow. :slight_smile:

• wow $99. i know there’s probably 20 cases of these, and i actually doubt I’ll even see an allocation of this, but nonetheless a sad moment as a Rhys has reached essentially 3 digits in price. BUT it’s also a testament to the great job the Rhys team is doing to develop brand image/loyalty and quality of juice.

• Feb.ok… another month before the pain. it’s a good pain though.

• Syrah and Bearwallow both up $10/btl. the rest stayed constant I believe.

Mark,
2010 production at Skyline was only 25% of normal so this wine will unfortunately be very highly allocated. Since we want customers that have purchased the wine in the past to continue, we have decided to move to a one bottle allocation for this vintage. I absolutely hate doing that but it seemed like the only fair way to treat everyone. We will return to a minimum 2 bottle allocation in 2011!
The story on the 2010 Home Vineyard is a bit brighter. In 2007 we expanded the vineyard to almost 1.5 acres. The new planting is much more tightly spaced and we were able to use superior plant material (both clones and rootstock) when compared to the older section. This new section has been performing extremely well and we feel it makes a better wine than the original block. This expanded production will mean that we can offer this wine to about half of our current customers.

Just curious, how long did you wait?

Got moved off the waitlist myself as well to be offered Bearwallow. I actually signed up almost exactly one year ago, on Jan. 18, 2012.

Been on the wait list for 2 years…finally made it [cheers.gif]

I just made the list as well and will be offered the Bearwallow. I can’t find my original sign-up email but I think it was about a year and a half.

Is anyone else surprised that some people here already have offers? Seems I have to wait until 2/5 to get an offer. (Not that I’m worried: the less I’m offered, the better.)

it’s not an offer, it’s a ‘save the date’ email… offer comes 2/5

yes 2010 San Mateo was released in the fall of 2012

Yeah, I just figured the SMPN deal by visiting the Rhys site. But it looks like several folks in this thread have been already offered Bearwallow. Just seems odd to me. I don’t have the money to buy much, anyway.

We weren’t actually offered Bearwallow either, just got a save the date email as well. It basically said you’ve made it off the waitlist and will be offered the 2010 Bearwallow, look for an email on February 5, and the allocation won’t be available until February 23. It really kind of implied to me that all I’ll be offered is Bearwallow.

It did also say that anyone purchasing wine this release will be guaranteed an allocation of Alpine Vineyard PN and Horseshoe Chardonnay in the Fall.

Kevin, probably have been asked before, but any plans for another Alpine Hillside PN anytime in the next few years?