Rhys Spring 2013

No email for me [cry.gif]

Maybe they are sent in waves. . . . . ? Better for my wallet anyway I think, I feel like the mailing lists are spread out so well that I’m always getting something.

This is a highly anticipated offer for me as 2010 is the birth vintage for my son, whose name is John Rhys!

Huge understatement for me as I also have Carlisle, R-M and Outpost all releasing over the next several weeks. I know…we should all have such problems. [cheers.gif] I’m simply going to have to cut back on # of bottles ordered…except of course Rhys. flirtysmile [truce.gif] [swoon.gif]

Carlisle, R-M, Myriad, just ordered Quivet, Rhys and don’t forget frigging Berzerkerday [truce.gif]

Wow on the Skyline: $99
Will prices go down as production goes back up or is this the new normal?

I have to say that having just ordered Saxum I really like that Justin charges 2x a 750ML instead of 2x+ for magnums as does seem to be de rigueur. I never got why so many wineries charge so much more for magnums.

2 1/2 years and about $30.00 a bottle ago.

Gene,

I’ve always wondered this as well, (not just Rhys). Wine is the ONLY commodity I can think of where you pay more per unit the larger size you buy. Can anyone think of another example ?

I just have to look down at my wife’s rock on her finger to painfully answer that question. :slight_smile:

Classic example. :slight_smile:

I thought the Mags were more expensive b/c they are more “age-able”?
i.e. a 750ml will age for 15 years, the mag might last 20 years…

for me, i happily buy 2 bottles b/c i doubt i’ll age any of the Rhys long enough to experience the marginal return in ageability between a mag and a regular bottle.

There’s the ‘it’s kinda cool to serve a huge bottle at a party’ aspect… thus the 3L, 6L formats?

Many large formats are hand-bottled, which is usually more labor intensive than being run through an automated bottling line.

In the case of Saxum it would be less labor because it’s only one bottle to hand wax instead of two.

Kevin, what is the Alpine Chard looking like (quantity wise)

Ooooooooh CRAP!!!

It is usually a function of labor. 750s run through a bottling line and are filled, corked, foiled, and labeled automatically, and in about a minute total. Magnums are usually filled, corked, foiled, and labeled manually, which could take 5 minutes or so total for each one. In addition, the actual bottle costs is usually more than just 2x the 750 cost. Then on top of that, factor in the supply/demand factor, and you can see why mags cost more than 2x 750s.

I can see certain circumstances where it costs more but not all but in most all cases magnums cost more: Significantly more. For example Rhys is $21 higher or 18% more for magnums. For Aubert: 44% more, Karl Lawrence: 11%, Saxum: 0%. Big variations in what wineries charge for magnums. You list a lot of variables that may or may not apply to a particular winery. With a highly sought after wine there is usually never enough magnums to meet demand (which would be a plausible reason for making it cost more). Plenty of bottlers can handle a variety of different sized bottles so supply becomes a matter of the amount of available grape juice not the labor. But anyways, 5 minutes to do one bottle? I have made a lot of beer and bottled hundreds of cases by hand. You get very very fast.

I would wager the prices are higher mostly for business decisions and not primarily a function of labor or material costs. 44% increase in labor and material costs (as in the Aubert example)? I don’t think so.

That must be the true definition of “ITB” - when you consider a massive multi-vintage tasting of Rhys wines as “work”. Don’t hesitate to call on me if you need some help with that…

Whiner. Sack up and get it done. [training.gif]

I tasted all the 2010s when I was up at the winery last year. Some very nice wines coming out that I will be happy to purchase.

Skyline and Swan Terrace were the stars that day to the participants IIRC. Too bad Skyline will be one bottle allocation and at a higher tariff. Ah well. 2011 yields weren’t great either.

we did the same with my son - rhys as his middle name. that’s what we call him too.

back to the wine - very excited about this release. down to 7 lists now with no plan on cutting any more. i plan to follow these guys for a very long time. may have to break out a bottle soon.

i’m stoked about the increase in home production. this and the skyline have thus far been my favorite pinots.

Gene,

A 1.5L of glass costs more than 2x as much as a 750, same with label, capsule, cork, all the trimmings.