Looks 2011 burgs will be the same price as 2009s and 2010s...

Are these “new reality” prices sustainable? It seems like Burgundy is getting more popular in the USA and then of course there are the developing markets in east asia. Maybe demand is simply increasing.

Just ordered 2011 Jadot ex ship that was priced below 2009 and 2010 by perhaps 10 to 15% for some cuvees. $A/euro has been quite steady for last couple of years.

Good to hear. Im basing my assertion on what Ive heard about the UK en premier (sp?) prices. Maybe the sample size isn’t big enough.

Not to mention the wines that are “unlisted” and available only to those with serious prior histories is a growing list!

Really? Rasmus in Denmark (involved in Theis Vine, a burg oriented shop) said he’d seen the 2011 burg prices as ‘Even worse than expected :frowning:’. Interesting about the 2011 Jadot Kent…the ones I’ve seen are the same or higher. For example, very early 2010 Jadot Clos St Jacques went for $95-100…prices of the 2011 started at $130. A U.S. thing?

Overall production of burgundy is down for 2010, 2011 and 2012 (perhaps 2009 as well, not sure). 2012 production is famously low and will see a huge spike in prices. I read somewhere recently…I forget where (will try to remember and will post link later)…that Gagey, the president of the BIVB, wants to make sure that prices stay at (or better than) the 2012 vintage level on succeeding vintages. I assume increased Asian interest in Burgundy is a factor here (guessing here tho).

So don’t be expecting anything cheaper soon, or ever.

dont’ worry guys, the quality is getting better every year. Just open up your wallets

Vintage of the Century!

Although the Pinot/Burg hollywood hype machine has cooled off a bit, I don’t ever see the demand for Burgs fading at all, especially grand cru producers. And I agree, the quality of the stuff coming out of France (and several other countries) is the best it’s ever been…and you can still get some killer deals on 1er cru Burgs that are delicious!!!

2005 was my last vintage. I am less and less keen on drinking the stuff before it’s ready so what I have already will see me out.

The case of Maison Ilan 2012 I bought will probably represent the entirety of my 2011 and 2012 purchases from both Burgundy and Bordeaux. They will find there aren’t as many cities full of Asian billionaires willing to gamble on off-vintages than they think there are (there are signs said billionaires have already figured this out with Bordeaux, given dropping prices there.) 2009 and 2010 will likely continue to be widely available for five more years, how stupid do they think we are?

seriously. their pricing now is making 05 look like a good deal

Are you referring to 2009 & 2010 Burgundy or Bordeaux when you say the above?

I suspect distributors expect softer demand for 2011s…

I’m in the UK and have been buying 2011 en primeur. Generally for most wines it is the same price as the 2009s and 2010s were on release. However, if you now want to buy a 2009 or 2010 burg that is at all difficult to get you’re going to be paying a substaintial premium compared to what it was on release.

From what I’ve seen so far, for allocated wines (not talking DRC or Leroy), if you want to pay the same price (give or take) as 11s you could buy 08s, 07s or 06s. 00s, 01s and 03s will be the same price or cheaper. You can buy 09s or 10s but expect to pay through the nose (in some cases double release prices).

Esp. at my, it is really getting to be time to stop buying newer vintages (at least for higher end stuff) and buying older vintages that often can be purchased as cheaply or cheaper.

Pass…

Both. As long as you’re not chasing Roumier Musigny or RMP 100s the wines continue to be widely available at around release prices; they appear to have been priced fairly (optimistically even for 2010 Bordeaux, if PC’s slash-and-burn offers foretell future decreases). Maybe five years is an exaggeration, but certainly for three more years I don’t anticipate this changing.

It is frustrating to think that the prices will keep going up and up, but I’m not freaking out quite yet.

Even locally there are many great 08-10s still available, if I broaden my search online there is little I don’t feel like I can find. That said, I’m not chasing the super rare, as my income doesn’t allow it. But most premier cru burgs from good to great producers can be found for several years after release.

Just had a quick comparison of some of my common 2010 vs. 2011 purchases from BBR in London. The Armand Clos des Epeneaux was up GBP 2.50 per bottle (4%) and the Faiveley Clos des Cortons was up 50p per bottle (< 1%).

A local retailer recently had maybe 60-70 different '10 Burgs still lying around months after release, including things like Roulot, Leflaive, Raveneau, Rousseau, Faiveley…normally these would have disappeared almost immediately.

If these very good wines from a great year aren’t selling, how are the '11 possibly going to go?