Wash DC Restaurant Rec's Needed

I will be in DC with my wife this Friday night, so I am looking for a few restaurant recommendations. We are thinking a tapas-style place might be fun (small plates, doesn’t necessarily have to be Spanish quisine), with a nice wine list, good vibe, decent stemware, etc…you get the drift…

Alternatively, an Indian restaurant would be a good fit for us as well.

TIA for your suggestions…

Paul

Rasika, Zaytinya, Jaleo sound are the places to go under your criteria, although the wine lists aren’t great. If you care more about wine, go to Proof (which has it all–food, vibe, wine list–just no small plates).

Rasika is one the four or five best restaurants in DC, in my view, and one of the best two or three Indian restaurants I have even been to, here or abroad. Zaytinya is a Jose Andres restaurant and is loads of fun, as is his haute Mexican place Oyamel – both are exclusively small plates.

Oh, and I would bring wine to any of the three.

Can’t go wrong with those three. Might also consider Cork, but I’ve never benn…

I think Zaytinya’s best days are behind it. Cafe Atlantico, Jaleo, and Ripple are all really good.

Cafe Atlantico is closed right now – Andres opened “America Eats” in its space. (Actually, Jaleo is also closed right now, but I think it opens this weekend.)

Estadio is the best tapas place in the city right now, and has a decent wine program (heavy on Spanish), as you’d expect from the owner of Proof.

I live nearby Cork and am a fan, but I haven’t been there since they changed chefs. The food used to be quite good, and the wine list is decent – the rotating flights are often fun.

Rasika — no doubt. Very, very good.

And there is always Dino’s in Cleveland Park. It is Italian and Dean Gold (owner) has a very good wine list. And he is a member of this forum. He is a great guy and I like to support his restaurant.

Another vote for Rasika. One of the best restaurants in the US, in my opinion. Don’t think twice, just get the black cod!

+1. If Indian is in the conversation, definitely worth trying it.

Also, Rasika is opening a second location on, of all days, Mar. 30 (although it’s softopened already).

Somewhat different menu apparently. Here’s info: Rasika West End Opens March 30, Soft Opening Already Underway (PHOTOS) | HuffPost DC

If you are going to either Rasika, reserve now. Like, right now.

Tough table

Almost 100% guaranteed to be too late already. I couldn’t get anything earlier than 10pm at the new location back on Monday.

Is that true with the old restaurant with the new one opening up Friday? Rasika West End Opens March 30, Soft Opening Already Underway (PHOTOS) | HuffPost DC

I second Dinos.

For a longer list of corkage policies, see http://www.weygandtwines.com/dc-restaurant-corkage-list.htm

Yes, Howard, I have a friend in this weekend and when I called to reserve they laughed. Politely, it must be said, but there was a definite “you are kidding, aren’t you?” tone in the voice on the other end at both places.

How about Black Salt? You can buy your wine next door at Bassins.

Cava near Eastern Market does some nice small plates, and has really nice outdoor seating. +400 on Rasika, and I’m a sucker for Jaleo. I’ve never really liked Zatinya; feels like it’s trying to hard to be good. Oyamel is very good but overpriced. Cafe Atlantico is adios I think, but I believe something else is opening in its place? Haven’t been over that way in a while… and I work 2 blocks away. Proof is another favorite. Not small plates, but big on awesomeness. Palena is also outstanding. Good luck!

Try Mintwood Place. Just opened a couple of months ago. Great food and excellent wine service. We brought 4 bottles with us and the server brought us 6 new glasses for every new bottle without us asking. I told her she did not need to do that and she said it was no problem. I believe the chef was the sous chef at Central.

Cork has excellent small plates, but it is a bit of a madhouse and very crowded on weekends. Estadio has lots of small plates and charcuterie, but as you would expect for a relatively new place, the wine list is on the young side. Proof has charcuterie and cheese plates and an extensive wine list with an occasional bargain. And a second for Dino. The owner is a total wine guy and if you call ahead, I bet he will make your visit a fun one. Indique in Cleveland Park is no Rasika, but good Indian and a fair corkage policy.

Try Ripple. Hip place, very good food (smallish plates) and $10 corkage with good stems.

http://rippledc.com/

Or the Tabard Inn - not small plates but great food and winelist (and in a good area for roaming after if you are interested in clubs).

http://tabardinn.com/restaurant

Both metro friendly (Ripple is right by Dino).

Also, as mentioned above, Rasika has opened its West End location and if you call you might get in as most people don’t know it’s open yet.