Which wine for roast veal in a mild Madeira sauce and cassis?

My sister is inviting me over to dinner on Friday evening, and I am thinking either a full bodied white or rather a northern Rhone or Burgundy with this. She is serving it with mashed potatoes and celeri. What say the the Berserkers? [cheers.gif]

That’s a tough one. If the sauce is noticeably sweet, that could be hard with a Northern Rhone or Burgundy, because they tend to be high in acid and might taste sour. I think a Southern Rhone or a New World wine would be safer.

And I don’t know what to say for mashed potatoes. I love 'em, but they’re not a natural fit with any wine I can think of.

Yes, the Madeira sauce is throwing me… my sister said it will be very light. Hmmm. Maybe Southern Rhone is where to go. Like a Vieux Telegraphe 2000?

For things a bit out of your norm, how about either (picking wines I think MacArthurs has) Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet, Produtorri Barbaresco (or Oddero Barolo if you want something older) or Chateau Pibarnon. In fact, I like the idea of the Bandol.

2009 Bojo Cru - will stand up to the sauce and will work well, as always, with the pork.

But what about the veal? [wink.gif] Actually, I find veal and some cuts of pork very interchangeable in pairing wines.

Bordeaux

If you want to be daring, a dry riesling from Alsace or Austria.

The sauce is really throwing me, too. How 'bout a Vin Santo or the very Madeira that went into the sauce? Or maybe a late-harvest Condrieu? A Moscatel could work, too. Sweet wines are, imo, under-utilized when it comes to pairing with main courses; this one seems like it would be the perfect foil for such a wine. Of the ones I suggested, I’d personally go with the late-harvest Condrieu first, then the Madeira, then the Vin Santo.

Cru Bojo or Barbera. I’m worried about the sweet sauce, which would be balanced by these wines. If the veal is rich these wines have the acid to cut fat.

just caught an even better idea: 2010 German Riesling – a Kab. or Spat… The 2010 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg would be perfect.

A CA Pinot or '06 Oregon PN is what I would bring. One that gives the sensation of sweetness, if not actually containing RS.
Looking at the range of choices, it comes down to picking a grape you like, and then
choosing an example that is not austere or tannic.
If a Condrieu would work, so would many CA and WA Viogniers. Riesling is a natural choice.
A ripasso Valpolicella is another.

P Hickner

I would go with Chateneauneuf du Pape with a little age; 1998, 1999 or 2000, should work really well.

Sonoma Coast Pinot. Pinot is a classic pairing with many veal applications, and the slight hint of sweetness from the madeira should marry well with a nice Sonoma Coast pinot. SC, as opposed to RRV, will still carry some acidity to combat the veal’s fat, but will have enough “Sweet” fruit to meld with teh sauce, while not overpowering the dish (especially if you get something older than 2005).

Bandol, I get. But a tannic cabernet or nebbiolo with potentially sweetish sauce? It make me cringe.

Bojo I can see. Barbera? Ouch! The acid would be nasty next to something sweet, I think.

Because of the sweetness of the Madeira, I’m thinking acidic and tannic, to cut the sauce and not too much fruit flavors to interfere with sauce. Chianti would be appropriate or if you feel it more appropriate, a Barolo to have a little more flavor and finish.

That said, I don’t care what the meal is, the wine is more important. A good Syrah has sufficient acidity and alcohol to cut the sweetness of a light Madeira sauce and give you some enjoyable fruit flavors that will be complimentary. You just might have to have a sip of water in between. [cheers.gif]

Ooooh! Risky. Cabernet tannins against madeira and berries. Don’t go there! If the sweetness is only minute, it might work, but it’s more than that – ouch!

That’s totally opposite to my thinking. I think you need some fruit to play off the sweetness, but you do NOT want conspicuous acid or tannin in the wine or it will seem sour or bitter. That would point me toward West Coast pinot, Bandol or riesling much safer bets.

I like the idea of a '99 CdP. Not a lot of acidity, unobtrusive tannins at this point, and would bring some grenache sweetness without being as overtly fruity/sweet as a younger/fatter vintage. Not so big as to overwhelm the flavor of the roast veal, either. I’ve had the '99 Charvin and '99 Clos des Papes in the last year and think either would be a good choice, with a slight edge to the Charvin.

Sounds like a great match for VT. Better with Vieux Telegraphe 2001 if you have it.