Rivers Marie Pinot Chardonnay Release January 17th

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rivers Marie Pinot Chardonnay Release January 17th

#51 Post by Andrew Demaree » January 16th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Corey N. wrote:
Andrew Demaree wrote:Thomas - thanks for the vintage run-down for the pinots. Any chance you can do the same for the cabs?

Best,
Andy
We had an offline in Chicago and drank the 04. 06, 07 and 08 (there was no 05 if memory serves). What was amazing was that all of the wines tasted nearly identical -- very similar flavors, body, etc. I'll add that all 4 of us agreed that the wines were near clones of one another. Although it's a bit of splitting hairs, the 04 was the best of the lot, 07 and 08 virtually identical and 06 the laggard. Would say all could probably have used a bit more time, but given the similarity of flavors between the 04 and the 08 (admittedly only 4 years), it's hard to guess how long one is going to have to wait to see secondary flavors emerge.
Interesting. Thanks, Corey. I know there are some here who have stated that the wines are best with a number of years on them. Would be curious to hear their thoughts on your group's tasting and what, specifically, they perceive as changing with time in the cellar.

Best,
Andy

John Willison

#52 Post by John Willison » January 16th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Thomas Rivers Brown wrote:
ekovitch wrote:TRB - I am not sure if you have stated this anywhere, but what do you consider to be the drinking curves of your wines? I get scared when some people say that wines "made in this style" don't age beyond one year past bottling. If so, I got a ton of drinking to do, FAST.

My personal tastes are to let wines age, I typically enjoy good CA pinots and Burgs at least 10 years old. And there are CA pinots that age this long and more.
I'll find out quite a lot this weekend when I open a 02-10 SOV vertical out of 750 for some folks in Marin. In terms of how I like to them, I'm beginning to whittle down my small stash of 04s and 05s right now. I had 04 SC and SV last night and 05 OR over the weekend. None of them showed any signs of cracks with the 04s actually needing a lot more time. Can't say I've had any 07s-09s recently, I'm letting those sleep. The best and most surprising bottle I've had recently is a 02 Summa regular, probably the best example of that wine I've had to date. It's developed quite a bit of bottle sweetness. Here's how I'd classify the wines across all the vintages:
2002--Drink soon, better a little too early than too late, stand up a day in advance, a lot of sediment
2003--SV drink soon, SOV I can't tell, at 12.4 alcohol it's moving at a glacial pace, I like it but wish it had a bit more mid-palate punch (personal preference)
2004--all need more time esp. the SOV, the goodness of the SC makes me very happy to be working with Gioia Vineyard again (it was 2/3s of the 04 SC)
2005--OR might be the best wine we've ever made, drinking great but no rush, SV needs more time
2006--big-berried year, good acidity but low tannin, definite drinkers
2007--will take a while for the baby fat to burn off, very primary but lots of acid and fruit tannin
2008--all shut down right now except the SC
2009--I wouldn't touch any of them

Thomas - Very much appreciate the insight on drinking windows!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » January 17th, 2012, 5:31 am

2007 R-M Theriot Chardonnay and Summa PN were both popped in the past 10 days with the Chard being sampled over 2 days. Summa got a few hours in the decanter.

Chard gave me whiff of nuttiness initially but this abated quickly, touch of frizzante too for a moment. I didn't feel the wine was aged but rather a bit disjointed. Nose had lemons and some kind of chemical aspect to it (Mel said turpentine?) and I liked the texture and mid-palate but the finish was a touch bitter to me. The wine stood up overnight with little degradation and Mel actually said she liked it slightly better on day #2. We have one other bottle, maybe this summer?

Summa was a champ and we served this when Mel's oldest son was visiting. Tremendous perfume without sweetness or pine notes, beautiful taste without cola and a medium long finish with consistent acid thruout. Can't wait to open a Old Vines if this is how the pedestrian Summa showed. This mild winter has meant a lot of Pinot has been uncorked here with this bottle, a 07 August West Graham Family and a pair of Hanzells, 2001 & 2005. as the ones I remember best.
Last edited by Glenn L e v i n e on January 17th, 2012, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#54 Post by Joe Chanley » January 17th, 2012, 5:36 am

Has TRB posted tasting notes anywhere for this allocation? If memory serves, there is usually a paragraph on each bottling prior to it being open to the public.

Chris S p i k e s

#55 Post by Chris S p i k e s » January 17th, 2012, 7:04 am

Anyone know if allocations with the pinot/chard are in any way tied to the cabs? Does passing on one have an effect on the other?

Chris

Frank Smith

#56 Post by Frank Smith » January 17th, 2012, 7:22 am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:Anyone know if allocations with the pinot/chard are in any way tied to the cabs? Does passing on one have an effect on the other?

Chris
They're separate.

ekovitch

#57 Post by ekovitch » January 17th, 2012, 9:03 am

Order in!
Errol Kovitch

David Schliecker

#58 Post by David Schliecker » January 17th, 2012, 9:13 am

Mine too. [cheers.gif]

Eric Rayburn

#59 Post by Eric Rayburn » January 17th, 2012, 9:25 am

Old Vines is up $15 a bottle? Wow...
Kiss French, Drink Californian!

Brian Sullivan

#60 Post by Brian Sullivan » January 17th, 2012, 9:27 am

order in!
Brian Sullivan

ekovitch

#61 Post by ekovitch » January 17th, 2012, 9:29 am

Eric Rayburn wrote:Old Vines is up $15 a bottle? Wow...
Yup, for the one bottle you get!

Wish I could order a dozen Sonoma Coasts at $25 each. I have wishlisted in the past, but never received anything extra.
Errol Kovitch

Brandon Tai

#62 Post by Brandon Tai » January 17th, 2012, 9:33 am

ekovitch wrote:Wish I could order a dozen Sonoma Coasts at $25 each. I have wishlisted in the past, but never received anything extra.
+1 Totally, it's quite the qpr
2014 WOTY: 2001 Harlan

Phillip Cobb

#63 Post by Phillip Cobb » January 17th, 2012, 9:37 am

In. Left my Summa regular, Silver Eagle, and Occidental on the table but can't pass on OV, chard, or SC.

Agree on the Sonoma Coast--easy to prune out some other producers in the ~$40 range when these are so good.
[url=http://twitter.com/fillc]tweets: @fillc[/url]
[url=http://chiloguide.blogspot.com/]here[/url]

Craig Haserot
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#64 Post by Craig Haserot » January 17th, 2012, 9:38 am

Just placed my order, easy all in for the case purchase.
Craig Haserot, Proprietor - Sojourn Cellars
chaserot@sojourncellars.com
Super cool new Sojourn video here - Link (best viewed in 4K if you have bandwidth)

David McMillen

#65 Post by David McMillen » January 17th, 2012, 9:46 am

In for a case

M. Linzbach
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by M. Linzbach » January 17th, 2012, 9:47 am

Went in for an even case, left a few others out there for others and didn't wishlist any.

Hope I can show as much restraint on BerserkerDay. hitsfan
--Matt

Salesman to wife -- It folds up to a fraction of its size.
Me to salesman -- 11/10ths is a fraction and I still don't want it in my basement.
Wife to me -- Death stare. She wins the argument, salesman makes his commission.

drsugarman

#67 Post by drsugarman » January 17th, 2012, 9:50 am

Just killed off 2-2008 chards in the past few days - wish I could get more than 2 ...

My order is in!
D a v i d S u g a r m a n
I T B

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by J. Singleton » January 17th, 2012, 9:56 am

First time buying the Chards in 3 years on the list. Should be interesting to give them a try. I'm guessing if it's not my thing, I'll be able to find someone who will willingly take my other bottle. [cheers.gif]
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Del LaBand

#69 Post by Del LaBand » January 17th, 2012, 9:59 am

Yep I'm in, will share with locals if there is interest

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#70 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 17th, 2012, 9:59 am

Got all 4 SC, 1 Gioia & the 2 Thierots. Left the SVDs for the 2nd wave. Go get em guys.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Scott Williams

#71 Post by Scott Williams » January 17th, 2012, 10:02 am

As someone who's been on the list since the 2005 vintage, I think I've wishlisted more SC every single year and never got any extras. Not that I'm surprised given the huge QPR on this wine. But I wonder whether the possibility of getting wishlisted items will change this year given the new two wave ordering system. I would think the sensible way to proceed would be to fill all 1st wave orders and wishlists before releasing the second wave, but I could be wrong. Hope I'm not though, cause that single bottle of OV is killing me! As an offering to the allocation gods, I left my chard on the table.

cheers,
scott

Jim Karegeannes

#72 Post by Jim Karegeannes » January 17th, 2012, 10:05 am

Skipped the Chardonnay - I'm enamored with Chablis right now. Took the mixed case of Pinot noirs offered.
Seemed like a generous offer (and much appreciated!) - this was my third order, second using my own account.
Last edited by Jim Karegeannes on January 17th, 2012, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Rivers Brown

#73 Post by Thomas Rivers Brown » January 17th, 2012, 10:07 am

Quick note on what we saw at last weekend's SOV vertical tasting. All wines were upright in the cellar for two weeks to let them hard settle. We opened them when we made it to Steve and Lisa's house. Right before we started I decanted the 2002 for sediment and here's how it went:

2002 SOV and SV have been really nice recently with the proper treatment (see above). Last night's 2002 SV I decanted and it hit a really nice spot at hour 3. The 2002 from the vertical tasting was still opening as I dumped the last sip to move on to the next flight. You'll see the beginning of a theme here, should have decanted it a bit earlier. It is though the most mature of all the wines and certainly worth popping now.

2003 SOV might be in the nicest place of all the wines right now. It had filled out considerably since the last time I tasted it. At 12.4 alcohol it seems to be moving along slowly. I'd say drink now if you'd like but no rush.

2004 SOV is a beast. In the context of the other wines its size definitely showed. I kept a glass of this all night and it finally began to loosen by the end of the night. I'd say hold.

2005 sadly showed the best of all the wines which reinforces for me the superb quality of this vintage. We have about 12 of the original 54 bottles remaining in the cellar. We also drank the 05 Littorai Summa in this flight and it was phenomenal, still a baby.

2006 least interesting of all the wines, very one dimensional with a slight gamey quality that I didn't care for. Probably drink up but maybe time will add more complexity? Won't know until it happens.

2007 is still incredibly primary. If I had to do it over again I might go with a little more time in barrel to shake some of the primary character. I do like bottle aging better but this wine will need some time, good acidity/tannin lurking beneath but all baby fat right now. Hold.

2008 was surprisingly open knit compared to the last couple bottles I've had. Really stood out in the lineup not sure if that's weather related. Good now but still youthful.

2009 followed closely by 2003 and 2005 was my WOTN. Still more about potential at this point, it could have used a day's decant to open up. I could tease a bit of depth out of it by night's end but loved the breadth and aromatics of the wine right off the bat. Hold.

2010 was infanticide, 100% about potential at this point. I did splash decant this right before it was served so it had a little give. I noticed the comments around the table became a lot more positive once this sat for a while. It was hard to get a read on it early. Much more rose petal and black tea than previous editions. An obvious hold.

As a general rule I'd say last sip was the best sip on all of these wines. In the future there will definitely be more decanting involved, all of them could have used it.

In closing I'd like to say thank you to the entire Berserkers community. We are an hour into our current release and we've already received 750 orders, definitely a new record for us. I have no doubt it's largely due to the word spread by this board.

Scott Butler

#74 Post by Scott Butler » January 17th, 2012, 10:08 am

Scott Williams wrote:As someone who's been on the list since the 2005 vintage, I think I've wishlisted more SC every single year and never got any extras. Not that I'm surprised given the huge QPR on this wine. But I wonder whether the possibility of getting wishlisted items will change this year given the new two wave ordering system. I would think the sensible way to proceed would be to fill all 1st wave orders and wishlists before releasing the second wave, but I could be wrong. Hope I'm not though, cause that single bottle of OV is killing me! As an offering to the allocation gods, I left my chard on the table.

cheers,
scott
See, you just need to dollar cost average it. 4 SC's at $25 plus 1 OV at $75 = $175 divided by 5 equals $35 per bottle! What a steal!! [training.gif]

(well, it made me feel better anyway)
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#75 Post by Jorge Henriquez » January 17th, 2012, 10:16 am

Thomas Rivers Brown wrote:In closing I'd like to say thank you to the entire Berserkers community. We are an hour into our current release and we've already received 750 orders, definitely a new record for us. I have no doubt it's largely due to the word spread by this board.
[bow.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Craig Roush

#76 Post by Craig Roush » January 17th, 2012, 10:18 am

Put in my purchase for some SC, Occidental, SOV and Chard. Left some SC, Silver Eagle, Gioia & Summa for others.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by JKim » January 17th, 2012, 10:24 am

Brandon Tai wrote:
ekovitch wrote:Wish I could order a dozen Sonoma Coasts at $25 each. I have wishlisted in the past, but never received anything extra.
+1 Totally, it's quite the qpr
+2. My current favorite qpr.

TRB, thanks for the update on the SOV. [cheers.gif]
Joe

N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by N. Justl » January 17th, 2012, 10:57 am

I discovered RM through this board. Now after seeing the huge response to the offer today, I'm hoping there is still some left next week!
Nick

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Bud Carey » January 17th, 2012, 11:17 am

My order is in!!!
Budman

Jeff Fish
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Jeff Fish » January 17th, 2012, 11:27 am

I like your math, Scott. That means it will be even better QPR if I get some of the wish-listed bottles. :)
Jeffrey D. Fish

Shut the up, Donny. You're out of your element.

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Dale Bowers » January 17th, 2012, 12:44 pm

In for 18. Easy Buy. With Saxum and Rhys as my other "no brainers" this month, going to get a bit costly!
Cheers!

Joe Hauck

#82 Post by Joe Hauck » January 17th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Now just after the order confirmation arrived, Copain's offered appeared in my in box.
?

I left plenty on the table. Took the SC and the chards, trying to show some restraint this year!
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

K. R. Baker

#83 Post by K. R. Baker » January 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm

order in. wish i could've taken the whole thing.
Kevin Baker

Mswen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Mswen » January 17th, 2012, 5:16 pm

In for all except the Chards. Fantastic pinot and great QPR
Mark Swenarton

David M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by David M. » January 17th, 2012, 5:22 pm

In for all of my SC Pinot, Silver Eagle and Chard. Passed on the others.
D. M l L n 3 r
ITB

PR K e l l y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by PR K e l l y » January 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I'm in for all the SC, and some Gioia, Summa and Occidental. The rest, including Summa OV is available. Just PM me if interested. Happy to share at cost.
-----------------------------------------
Cheers, Peter

m@rkj@hnke

#87 Post by m@rkj@hnke » January 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm

All I could afford this year were the SC's. BOO! -mJ
http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TWITTER: njfoodies
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monte Mast
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Monte Mast » January 17th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Took my SC, and one each of OR, SE, Giola and Summa.

Had to save a little for Berserker Day.

Monte
Monte Mast

"Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

Mike Reff

#89 Post by Mike Reff » January 18th, 2012, 2:58 am

when does the econd wave hit? I have not received any information about my allocation, strange....

Mark F r a n k s

#90 Post by Mark F r a n k s » January 18th, 2012, 5:30 am

I was really on the fence about the regular SC's, but popped an '08 last night. I wound up nearly killing off the whole bottle it was so good, best Pinot I've had in quite some time. So I guess I have to go for all 4 of those. This is going to be an expensive week.
"Valar Morghulis"

Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Jim Clary » January 18th, 2012, 5:34 am

My first Pinot allocation. Bought all that I was offered. Got the offer when my plane landed and was hoping that it hadn't sold out too quickly. Luckily, all bottles were still available. We've been buying in the secondary market for some time now, nice to get it direct from the source.
Jim Clary

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#92 Post by William Segui » January 18th, 2012, 5:58 am

Mike Reff wrote:when does the econd wave hit? I have not received any information about my allocation, strange....
Mike --

Second wave will be this coming Tuesday, 1/24. I've been somewhat quiet on the details, because quite frankly I don't know exactly what I'm going to be able to offer until the dust settles on this first wave. I learn a little more each release and hopefully they will continue to improve with time, thank you for your patience.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Mike Maguire » January 18th, 2012, 7:56 am

I drink 1 or 2 Chards a year.I really like the Peter Michael lineup,how does the RM compare style wise?
Last edited by Mike Maguire on January 18th, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Reff

#94 Post by Mike Reff » January 18th, 2012, 10:26 am

William Segui wrote:
Mike Reff wrote:when does the econd wave hit? I have not received any information about my allocation, strange....
Mike --

Second wave will be this coming Tuesday, 1/24. I've been somewhat quiet on the details, because quite frankly I don't know exactly what I'm going to be able to offer until the dust settles on this first wave. I learn a little more each release and hopefully they will continue to improve with time, thank you for your patience.
Thanks William, appreciate the response. I look forward to it on the 2th. Cheers

Mike

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Daniel Moritz » January 18th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Mark F r a n k s wrote:I was really on the fence about the regular SC's, but popped an '08 last night. I wound up nearly killing off the whole bottle it was so good, best Pinot I've had in quite some time. So I guess I have to go for all 4 of those. This is going to be an expensive week.
Agreed Mark. Opened my last 08 SC last week and keep remarking how outstanding it was drinking. Helped me to go all in on the new release.
Daniel Moritz

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Brian Tuite » January 20th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Got my wish list items granted flirtysmile
Thanks Will!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by J. Singleton » January 20th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:Got my wish list items granted flirtysmile
Thanks Will!
Wish list? That was faaaaaaast.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#98 Post by William Segui » January 20th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Ran out of steam -- will finish the rest on Monday. But yes, wish list is happening.

Eric Rayburn

#99 Post by Eric Rayburn » January 21st, 2012, 6:13 am

Brian Tuite wrote:Got my wish list items granted flirtysmile
Thanks Will!
Did Will send you an email? Or did you check your CC?
Kiss French, Drink Californian!

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Bud Carey » January 21st, 2012, 6:21 am

I guess Will doesn't love me any more..... no news here!!! neener [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Budman

Return to “Wine Talk”