TN: 2009 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

• 2009 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/22/2011)
    Not decanted and consumed over about 2 hours. Red-violet color with some nice red berry elements on the nose. On the palate is where this really shines with wonderful texture and an almost chalky mouthfeel (as previous CT taster noted as well). Rich, but not overpowering dark fruits with great balance and a decent finish. An excellent effort. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hey, that previous taster was me. [cheers.gif] I agree - an excellent bottle.

thanks for the note, reminds me I should get out that way to go pick em up

Thanks. Pop goes the Kutch this weekend

I am certainly tempted to try the other two… (Anderson Valley and Savoy Vineyard)…

Glad I’ve got a handful of these to sit on. Watch out for the McDougall in the Fall… wowzers! Seriously impressive stuff.

Wait…tell me the alcohol first before I decide if I am going to like it :slight_smile:

ethyl

Rob,

Nice note on this fine bottling. I can’t wait for the fall release too. Jamie’s '09 McDougall is amazing juice!

Love the 09s from Jamie. Really terrific wines. But I’m going to make sure to bury them deep. None before 2013-14. The barrels were phenomenal.

I popped the Anderson Valley tonight. At first pop, I didn’t like it as much but with some air it’s gaining a little weight and coming around nicely. It’s a little more “stiff” on the palate with what seems like a little more acidity.

Here’s my “official” note. [cheers.gif]

• 2009 Kutch Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (3/23/2011)
    Crimson color with dark crushed berries on the nose and a little tickle from the alcohol as well even though it’s under 14%. A little racier on the palate with more apparent acidity and ripeness compared to the Sonoma Coast bottling. Gains weight with air. Should flesh out nicely over the next few years. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m taking something down as well, but I’m undecided as to which bottle.

Pop a Savoy… that way I don’t have to do it… :slight_smile:

No chance. That’s getting at least another week.

Quick note(s) -

1. Sonoma rocks, today, on the pop/pour. Will it get better? Probably. Will I see that evolution? Questionable…this wine is so good right now it’s gonna require every bit of discipline I have to avoid drinking through my remaining bottles in the next 12-24 months.

2. Anderson - another pop/pour. More “Burgundian” to me, in that it seems to have the stuffing for the long term, but it’s not as obvious to me for immediate drinking.

3. Savoy - I have to be honest, I didn’t order this one based on Jamie’s release notes that highlighted “acidity” and noted “needs to be had with food”. Since so many of our bottles are opened in the absence of food, this one didn’t sound like it would fit in our cellar. Rightly or wrongly

I don’t think you should beat yourself up about not ordering any, but I found the Savoy to be more complex and interesting than the other bottlings when I tasted the barrel samples - it was definitely my favorite. ANd I don’t think it requires food at all, though it could certainly stand up to many dishes.
I enjoyed the SC and the Anderson immensely, though. I think you will be perfectly happy with your purchasing decision!
I wanted to go all in on my allocation, but in the end, I just got 4 of the Savoy. blush Ah well.

We opened one last evening and this bottle is just in a terrific place now. Mel, basically a domestic PN h8ter, speed drank this like the killa tsunami was a comin’!

Just excellent; both savory & sweet battling with savory winning the decision! An achievement for the dinero.

If I had to pick but one California PN producer…

nice [cheers.gif]

Man, now I really wanna open a bottle of Kutch tonight, but the only one I have at home is a '10 McDougall…