The New Cult Wines

Looking over my collection of wines I paid way too much money for (Scarecrow’s, Colgins, and Schraders)… and will likely never be able to afford to drink. I pondered the thought of being the first guy on the Sreaming Eagle or Sine qua non list… lucky SOB.

I wondered what’s in your radar when considering the next Big Thing in cult wine?

http://www.poewines.com/about.php

Helloooooo Samantha… just sayin.

I look for someone that has more of this…

Ha – this is the first I have heard of Poe Wines. I remember those two – they used to contribute a lot of fun posts on the Other Board. If I ever see their wines around, I will pick up one of each bottling to see how their new project is doing.

Sam opened a bottle of the Poe pinot at Frank’s Falltacular. It was one of my favorites and it wasn’t even in the line-up! Loved it so much I bought from her right away. I hope it becomes a cult. [basic-smile.gif] [cheers.gif]

[scratch.gif]

Well, when I’ve bought something that appreciates an unspecified %, I begin to wonder if it’s become too expensive to drink.

+1

If you already bought the wines, you own them and have them in your cellar, how can you not afford to drink them???

Good luck Sam and Trevor. I miss her notes and his ramblings.

Lame

Yes, I think the objectifying route is much less lame, yet far more offensive. Ooooops?

Jeb, I’ll take my comments offline in regard to this matter.

I was really referring to my comments. hitsfan

A little late for that.

Explain.

Little thread drift…my thoughts on new potential cults more along the lines of Schrader/Scarecrow/etc:

Gallica
Checkerboard (pricing tbd)
Harris Estates Lakeview/Treva
Futo (although priced heavy already)
Jacquelynn BTK (totally dissed by RP #s though, not sure why)
Morlet Family Cabernets
Ovid (the Experiment series is unique)
Pott Wine
Seven Stones

All are younger projects, smaller production and building a following or early/evolving scores.

Phil, you my caucasian? [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

I do have a thought as to the original question though. When you seek a certain status by emulating things of the past that created that status and forcing it you usually fail. I think the heydays days of the Cali Cult is behind us. What is upon us is a bevy of fantastic wines that need no genre to place them in the rotation of lovers of Cali-Cabs. Any on Phil’s list could fit that mould as well as some others I could think of. Some of the Cults of yesterday can certainly coexist with some of the great wines being made today. We are living in great times, and for that I am thankful.

Cheers!

Maybach is on its way.
HARRIS has a shot
The RM cab has a shot
Torrin will be interesting to watch in the non cab field
Tex is on crack
I think with antonio coming on alpha omega has another shot at it as does pott. Ill be watching ramey as well.
Rudd is trying to position itself but their price jump might kill it.
Gallica doesn’t have the buzz for the scores they opened with…
Seven stones I think got hurt by the initial pricing.
I think the thing that defines a cult is that the open market value is higher than mailing list on current releases…that ship has sailed for futo too.

Capture has a chance.