La Paulee 2011 NYC

La Paulee 2011 is in NYC this year and a brief description of this year’s seminars / dinners is out now. Is anyone going?

http://www.lapaulee.com/newyork/tickets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m currently sending my wishlist of tickets to Santa, but I’m not sure there are enough cookies and milk in the world to persuade him to get me this one.

They should have this in SF every year [wink.gif]

I am going to the Verticals on Friday afternoon and the Grand Tasting on Saturday afternoon.

These will be, by far, the two most expensive meals (lunch and dinner) I’ve ever experienced. The rare wine dinner will certainly be extraordinary, but just too big a chunk of this year’s retirement contribution.

RT

Wish there was one on the West coast.

next year

it was in sf last year.

I’ll be attending the Verticals.

+1 [dance-clap.gif]

Every other year. 2012 one in SF will be 2009 burgs

I’m thinking of doing this and the Barolo vs. Burgundy tasting led by Galloni.

Howard, have you been to the Grand Tasting before? Trying to get a feel for the crowds/access. The timing looks a touch tight (30 min) between the morning seminar and the start of the tasting, although it’s a pretty straight 20 block hop uptown.

RT

I can answer for the SF version of the event. The clultish producers have small (5 minute wait) lines right at the beginning but then after a while its easy to get to any table and usually there is even time for a chat with the producders.

I went to the morning seminar two years ago and will not be going this time. Two years ago, we got like a 6:00 train from DC on Saturday morning (there was no Verticals on Friday afternoon), got to NY and went straight to the seminar. Nice seminar, but there is so much wine at the Grand Tasting that drinking more was overkill.

If I remember correctly, they bused us from the seminar to the Grand Tasting and we actually got there early and had to wait. So, no real problem there.

The Grand Tasting is pretty long. Three hours is a long time. I don’t remember having a problem getting to try everything. It is not always easy to really talk with every producer, however. NYers tend to get places late, so 12-12:30 is less busy. Thus, get there on time. On the other hand, at the first one I went to in 2006, I did get to talk to Marie Christine Mugneret and Phillipe Prost (Bouchard) enough to get them to agree to give me tours a few months later when I went to Burgundy. So, we must have been doing ok.

A friend who went to the Verticals last year in SF said it was less crowded and easier to talk to people. Hopefully, that will be the case.

I have been to the Grand Tasting in NY in 2006 and 2008 and had a really great time both times. I have waiting two years to go again, and cannot wait.

Hopefully, we will be able to meet there.

You too. And, instead of responding to everyone, we should find a way to all meet each other. Any WB caps?

Looks like I’m doing the ‘full deal’…gotta splurge once in my life. Not getting any younger. [cheers.gif]

Orlando, are you coming?? It will be great to see you again!! [dance-clap.gif]

Look forward to seeing you and Joanne there Richard. I know you will do a note on every wine offered. You da man!!

You must be a fast taster, Howard. The two times it’s been out at this end, I’ve never gotten through them all and never even gotten through all that I really wanted to taste. I do talk with the producers, especially those that I know (which are most, so there is some talking to do), but that helps to slow down the amount of alcohol ingested in a short period – otherwise, I think I’d be blotto by the end, even with spitting.

Occupational hazard? It still surprises me how buzzed you can get after 40 - 50 tastes, despite spitting.

RT