Wine pairing for latkes?

Going to a friend’s house for the first night of Hannukah for latkes and was wondering what wine to bring to pair with the latkes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

hmmmmm…

I’m assuming that “latkes” refers to deep-fried potato pancakes… in which case, you want something with good acidity to cut the fat and enough weight to match the texture of the potatoes… perhaps a bit of sweetness which can complement the potato nicely.

Hence, I would say: (i) Riesling (Mosel or Pfalz), (ii) Champagne, (iii) Gewurztraminer.

You do not look Jewish. [cheers.gif]

I’d go with a Syrah, but then again, I strongly prefer reds at this time of year.

Of course, traditional toppings are applesauce and/or sour cream…I think the sour cream, especially, would pair better with Syrah than a white (just a hunch). That said the recommendation of Champagne is pretty spot on – it pairs amazingly well with food, and is festive to boot.

Cheers!

Every year we go to a friend’s house for a huge latke party. His entire kitchen has a glaze of oil on it and the floors become slippery from hours of latke cooking. Served with sour cream and cinnamon sugar.

Last yr I think we found the wine solution - Chenin Blancs from South Africa with high acidity. We tried a range of chenins - Kanu, Man, Raats,winery of good hope, cederburg,Teddy Hall and the winner was Mulderbosch. All of these wines are in the 10-15 range and really cut through the grease.

Champagne, Huet Sec or Demisec, or Dry Sherry.

Aussie Shiraz — one of those JM 95+'ers

No. Save that stuff for pancakes.

Prosecco rocks the Latke…

How odd. I am actually making potato pancakes for dinner tonight out of the leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving. Throw some egg and a little green onion in there and they’re pretty good fried up in olive oil. Having it with roast leg of lamb, so we’ll do a domestic pinot tonight.

Oy vey, what do you mean odd? I’m coming over tonight! [drinkers.gif]

I like Spatlese or Champagne.

Cheers,
-Robert

Lol, come on down, Brandon! Hope your friend doesn’t mind you skipping out on his Hannukah celebration…

The wine, by the way, will be an '07 Belle Pente Murto.

Ole standby

http://www.manischewitzwine.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then when they can’t stop laughing, pull the real stuff out… my best bet would be a Riesling…or possibly a Sancere or Chablis.

For a red, I would go with Stefania’s Haut Taubee…very light and probably wouldn’t overun the latkes…

Something sparkling . . .

Agreed! [cheers.gif]

I would say a nice bubbly, but as a still wine alternative, definitely need something with very high acid to cut the fat

If you become an atheist you can eat and drink anything you want tonight [cheers.gif]

Latkes are overrated…just my two cents. Go for the jelly donuts instead

As “Latkaman” at my synagogue, with a T-shirt they gave me to prove it, I really do not think there is a particu7larly good pairing. I prefer apple sauce but others prefer sour cream and my wife likes ketchup. I recommend against German wines because for some people in this context, it’s a sensitive issue. If you have to bring something, go with bubbly.

I’m going with the Wind Gap Trousseau Gris tonight and will probably open a champagne and a syrah when we have friends over on Friday night.