Wine pairing for latkes?

All great suggestions, but Gruner would be my choice IF I ate latkes.
The couple of times I have had them, it felt like rubber tires were stuck in my gut! [bleh.gif]

Beats kneydlach

Then you’ve never had a good one.

Riesling - maybe a Schaeffer-Frolich Spatlesse
Pinot Gris - maybe Mann or Trimbach
Loire Chenin Blanc - Childane?

Muscadet… would be awesome with sour cream… otherwise an off-dry Riesling.

-Steve

Then what do you drink when spinning the dreidel?
(Zin with the Spin)

For the latkes - I like a good apple or pear cider - or something else with bubbles.
(my bubbie liked bubbles)

Really? I’ll have to try this. I’ve consumed quite a bit of Muscadet over the years but I don’t think I’ve ever tried the pairing.

Late to the party but, potato pancakes made from left over mashed potatoes is one of my favorites.
As far as wine: If everybody brings their best guess for white and red to cover the entire meal, it makes both the wine and food evaluation more entertaining and enjoyable. You find surprises, you discover new wines, you fortify your own opinions, or not, but you enjoy the company and share some great wines.

Just remember, it was all blessed by the Rabbi, just in case somebody is a stickler on tradition. [cheers.gif]

With latkes?? Honestly, I don’t think it matters. Aged red Burgundy would probably be a mistake. [tease.gif]

Brandon
Search around for a nice Kosher wine maybe?
Castel, Yarden from Golan Heights.

I got back from Israel just before Rob’s 100 pnter and brought back a few. They have some decent wines at the airport shop in Tel Aviv.

I’ve had a few Kosher wines from Carmel, Galilee and Golan that were quiet good.

Thought I’d bump this up rather than start a new thread. I am responsible for the wine for a Latke Party for about 75 people this Saturday. I have read the suggestions above, but would like specific suggestions close to $10 per 750ml (though magnums may be more manageable physically).

Specifically, can anyone recommend a NYS Riesling in that price range, something a little off dry? I am a big fan on Wiemer, but that’s a little pricey for this crowd.

I will likely get some Prosecco, and some light red for those who only drink red. I need to buy these tomorrow (or pull them from my cellar if I have), so quick suggestions would be appreciated.

In the past I’ve enjoyed Salmon Run Riesling.

Prosecco is a great choice, and I would let Ken V or someone who knows italiam wines to pick a light bodied red for you.

Oh wait . . . .

I’ve found Hosmer to be a very reliable entry level riesling year in and year out, though I haven’t had the current vintage. And I like their semi dry better than their dry.

M @ r k

I make latkes all of the time. They are really good with lots of wines. Spätlese or really any Riesling and Champagne would be my top choices.

I’m also bringing wine to a latke dinner. I’d like to bring Prosecco but don’t have any on hand, so I’m thinking of bringing a bottle of Lambrusco. Is that crazy talk?

Champagne. No matter what you drink acidity will be key.

Un vot’s wrong vit Manischewitz? Too good for you?

We had our latke feast tonight. I hadn’t seen this thread, but went with a '10 Huet Le Mont Sec. Great match, although a champers would have worked well (hadn’t thought of that).

Champagne worked well for us tonite.