Tues Nite Wines

2005 Alain Jaume & Fils Lirac Clos de Sixte
Medium bodied. Started off on the right foot, with brambly cherry fruit and spice cake - but the nose took on a rubbing alcohol-like note as it warmed. When it was on, it was a good value if you can find it under $15. Read some notes on CT about chilling this, interesting, as I threw it in the fridge when we arrived (showed well) and after a couple hours on the counter, turned alcohol-ey.

1997 Viader
Enticing nose of oak spiciness and blue fruits, but the palate didn’t match the schnoz. Others thought this began tasting better towards the end of the night - I think that was the alcohol numbing taste buds. Disjointed with acidity poking out awkwardly here and there - not an undrinkable wine by any stretch, but not that pleasurable either, though it does have fruit, unlike a lot of 97s I’ve had of late.

2003 Switchback Ridge Peterson Family Petite Sirah
Wowzers is this good stuff. Lots of roast-beefy and black olive goodness on the nose - and then whap! The monumental density and tannins smack your tongue around. But wait - with a decant and over time, this really starts to show hints of greatness. The fruit is full throttle, but there’s also a great backbone of schist and acidity that keeps this from being flabby or overbearing. Really well made wine.

We also had a rose of sorts, that I found to be a nice starter.

PSA to Whetstone…

These wines were consumed by Zb Lang, PMC, myself and Johnny B.

[gen_fro.gif]

Just like people who talk about sex never have any, I’m always thinking of ways to work vowels into my posts since I’m lacking [gheyfight.gif] .

Looks like a dog to me - I like thinking Zach is talking in the cartoon bubble when you post.

I was sort of let down by these wines (at least mine and Tylers - wasn’t expecting much from Pete’s - heh heh). the Viader was the biggest let down to me, just not much going on. I don’t know if that’s just what it is, or if it might still be a bit young. The Switchback was definitely coming around by the end of the night. It was a tight monster at first, but a few hours in the real fruit started to come out. I think this is a very promising wine.

(Ps, the starter Rose I opened was the 2005 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel Rosé La Dame Rousse. I enjoyed this, but after a few minutes with the other wines, this was not worth coming back to and I didn’t really focus on it, so can’t comment other than I enjoyed it)

Thanks for keeping me updated? [shrug.gif]

I had the 97 Viader recently and liked it quite a bit. Wasn’t complex but had a nice older Cab/Bordeaux like character.

Sounds like you had a mature bottle - this seemed young, but disjointed.