Rhys Arrived!

So anyone pop any of the new releases yet (from the recent shipping/pick up, not from back in May)?
TNs?

:slight_smile:

pickup is November 6th

Still waiting for the package. Got Ceritas today as well. I won’t be opening for quite a while, but kudos to anyone taking one for the team!

must… wait… patiently…
[cheers.gif]

Hell no! Take one for the team. (And make me jealous!)

Since the bottles are in transit (to all but the hot states - CA, AZ, TX, FL etc), I thought I might add my thoughts on opening these. Overall, I think the '08s are more approachable at this stage than the '07s. I am hesitant to give too much advice since many of the '07s (especially the Sonoma Coast and Family Farm) went through a very tight stage right after shipping last year but I have recently opened most of the '08s and here is the rundown:

'08 Alesia Sonoma Coast - a very strong Alesia, this will age really well but is still quite approachable now (and gets much better with air or on Day 2). If you have a few, try one!

'08 Rhys Family Farm - I would not open one now. It is going through a tight phase that is very similar to the '07. If it follows the same path it will open markedly within a year and improve for many more.

'08 Rhys Alpine Chard - This really depends on how much age you like on your Chard, but it is more forward than the '07 at this stage. It will age well.

'08 Rhys Alpine - This is a moral dilemma. The wine will drink well now but offers much more in a few years. Like most moral dilemmas, no one can answer this one for you! :wink:
If opened, I do recommend as much air as possible.

'07 Rhys Horseshoe Syrah- If you like the big youthful fruit of Syrah, this is ready to go but if you want a complex and resolved experience put this away for many years.

I hope that helps!!

Package just arrived. Thanks for the notes Kevin. These are going to sleep.

Thanks Kevin!

I confess I haven’t gotten around to opening my '07s yet! So if these have opened up since last year is now a good time?

Kevin,

What about the Home?

Keith,
It is definitely still on the early side, but some are accessible with coaxing.

With >1 hr of air or (even better) recorked and consumed on Day2, I might open (but all will be much better in a few years)-
'07 Sonoma Coast
'07 Green Valley
'07 Horseshoe PN
'07 Family Farm
'07 Skyline

I would not currently open:
'07 Alpine
'07 Alpine Hillside
'07 Swan Terrace
'07 Home
'07 Falstaff

Russ,
I would wait on the '08 Home. Like the Alpine, it does drink well now but it will be much better in a few years. Unlike the Alpine, there is so little Home production that it seems a shame to open bottles too young.

Alright. got a case of the Alesia, so will pop one soon…

the rest are going to rest for a bit.

Thanks Kevin for the notes.

I’m salivating…

Kevin, when you mention recorked and consumed on Day 2, are you consuming any on Day 1, and are you putting it back chilled or at room temp?

TIA.

ditto. had to open an 07 sonoma just because of this thread. still could use some time (years).

For those in need of a fix, I thought the 07 Green Valley was very good recently. Young, of course, but intense, pure, and sappy. I don’t have the breadth of experience that others have with these wines, but for my two cents, it was the best Alesia I’ve ever had.

I also opened an '07 Green Valley last month and was very happy with it. While it certainly may improve there’s much pleasure to be had from it now.

Robert,
For really young wines like these, my favorite technique is to open a bottle, pour a small glass, recork it, keep it at cellar temp and then drink it the following night.

I drink the small glass (and if it tastes good I may not wait for Day 2!).

Keeping the bottle at cellar temp overnight is ideal. Between room temp or the fridge, I would probably go with room temp.

I did receive my shipping notice- sent on 11/1, not scheduled for delivery until the 8th. So it will sit over the weekend with UPS- hope it makes it around here before that, no worries about the temps here.