Revisiting: What are your favorite California Syrahs?

I am slowly building my collection of California Syrahs/Syrah Dominant Blends and am looking for some recommendations from the Berserkers for their favorites in the under $50 or under $40 area. Most of mine are from local producers in and around Sonoma County and I know there is a lot more out there to try.

What I already have: Copain, Wind Gap, Lattanzio, Novy, PAX, Epoch, Bedrock, Carlisle, Donelan… What can you suggest to broaden my California Syrah appreciation?

Scherrer and Dehlinger.

Arnot-Roberts & Scholium Project.

Hi Brian,

You’ve actually already covered most of my favorites. I’d recommend a tour through Paso - Tablas Creek for a more restrained/French style, Linne Calodo, l’Aventure, Villa Creek, McPrice Meyers, Hermann Story starts to lean into a more ripe, hedonistic style. Qupé is a classic.

Other areas: Big Basin in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Cabot in Humboldt, Domaine de la Terre Rouge in Amador.

You already had listed several that I buy and follow so to only add to what you might want to try, here is a list, all of which can be sourced, probably direct from the winery.

Jemrose Cardiac Hill
Shane Jemrose
Lucia Garys’
Roar Rosella’s

I generally like Shafer Relentless although have disliked some vintages. For under $40 I like Ridge.

Lagier-Meredith, ESJ, sometimes Ojai.

You’ve listed a number of my favorites. Additional choices would be:

Myriad (or Quivet)
Arnot Roberts (mentioned above by others);
McPrice Myers
Herman Story
Margerum
Tercero
Lillian

for some from further south try Tensley and Tablas Creek.

Oaji Bien Neicdo vineyard

You’ve got a good list already, but I’ll put in another vote for Scherrer.

I would add:

Arcadian
Rudius
Rhys

+1 and add

Big Basin
Lucia

For the style of California syrah that I like, I’m becoming increasingly convinced there are very few occasions where I need to spend more than $30. My faves:

Drew - lots of great SVD syrahs from Anderson Valley and Mendocino Ridge, all fairly priced
Sander
Anthill Farms

My splurge syrahs are / will be:

Big Basin Rattlesnake Rock
Rhys

Add me to the Cabot fan list. And I have always enjoyed Alban and Sine Qua Non, albeit not the most accessible.

I really did like John’s Syrah that I had last winter. We want to get up there and taste some others in The Cabot line-up.

WOW, a lot to digest here.
Scherrer, Dehlinger, Jemrose, Arnot-Roberts and Shane are all local so that’s a plus (no shipping costs). Tablas Creek looks interesting if I could only decide on which to try first. Well, I joined 6 or 7 lists to start and will keep some of the others in my radar when searching the retail shelves. Keep the great suggestions coming.
Thanks a ton! [thankyou.gif]

better known for Pinot, but I love Eric Kent wines.

I second Anthill Farms.

Bear in mind that I’m not a fan of big styled CA syrahs my short list is

Edmunds St. John (they need time)

Copain (haven’t tried much)
Rhys (I’ve had some I really liked, others less so)
Unti - give them 2-3 years in bottle though

I expect to like Arcadian and keep meaning to try them. Ditto for Scherrer.

Does Rhys make a syrah- or is this in reference to the Alesia bottling?