TN: 2007 Château de Myrat - Sauternes (France, Bordeaux, Sau

• 2007 Château de Myrat - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (6/1/2010)
    – popped and poured –
    – tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: gorgeously intoxicating rich nose of golden raisins, botrytis spice, kumquat, and orange oil; hint of lemon oil; complex, goose-bump inducing awesomeness!

BODY: goldenrod color; full bodied.

TASTE: intense botrytis; good acid; 13.5% alc. is a tad noticeable; full palate; flavors of golden raisins, ripe apricot and toast; hints of maple and pineapple; not quite as complex as the NOSE: long finish of moderate to great intensity (75 – 90 sec.). I went into this bottle very skeptical of the range WS gave this wine (92-96), and I leave this bottle with the firm belief that Suckling was somewhat reserved in his judgment. This is the highest score I’ve ever given a wine (and I almost went “97”, coming this close to giving it a perfect “15” on the NOSE). I’m floored. It’s absurd that this wine can be had for $20 a half — ridiculous.

B: 50, 5, 14, 18, 9 = (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yeah I guess at that K&L price there’s no harm in opening one now.

Great note Brian and now your pushing me to open one tomorrow.

Wheres the drooling smilie?

Just do it! I just lowered K&L’s inventory by 26. Ashley and I decided to make this one of our anniversary wines — it will obviously hang-on for a looong time, and the price is right. [cheers.gif]

Brian,

Can you expand a bit on the “good acid” part. Never had the 07 Myrat, the 01 was good and the 03/05… just ok.

Fresh without being watery. Not fat like the '03’s I’ve tasted (from other producers — I haven’t had other Myrat vintages). I would call this well-balanced, maybe leaning just a tad towards the fatter side, but not much.

I would suggest spending $20 to check one out for yourself … you can do A LOT worse for $20, regardless of what your ultimate opinion is.

Opened last night for our 4th wedding anniversary — both of us made it to 8pm without remembering it was our anniversary 'till, as I reached for my glass of Vinho Verde, I spotted the date on some really cheesy coasters somebody bought us for a wedding present … so, in a way, neither of us actually “remembered” … we’re pathetic. blush … that said, this is the kinda thing that makes me love my wife even a little bit more. [basic-smile.gif]

• 2007 Château de Myrat - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/6/2011)
    Still loving this wine. Intensely colored. Intensely expressive on the Nose and Palate. Perhaps starting to go into a phase wherein the acidity isn’t as pronounced as it was last year. Gut impression: 93 - 94.

Very accurate notes for my palate, Brian. I took a flyer on this wine when it was released, and have been very rewarded. One of the rare times when I luck out on a flyer that not only returns in spades, but get this, I accidently ordered it twice. Seriously, when my local retailer sent me the pre-release email, I ordered 12 halves, and then when it arrived and I got another email, i ordered 12 more without realizing I had already ordered it. Gotta love luck sometimes!

Ha! That is good luck! We’re looking forward to how this ages — we’ll do one a year for the next 25, so it should be interesting.

I just did a 2007 Sauternes horizontal. With all of the busy-ness in my life the last 2 months, I still haven’t gotten around to posting notes (or even cleaning my glasses from that night) but I expect to soon. I remember Coutet being the big surprise for me that night, and I remember being pretty underwhelmed by the Myrat. I’ll have to get my notes out and actually type them up and we can compare.

wherein I do something rarely seen in these here parts: admit that I might have previously gotten this wine wrong. I now have the distinct displeasure of being both the high score and low score on CT for this wine (but for a single 97 point score). I really hope the bottle I just had was not representative of the others; alternatively, I really hope this wine is merely going to sleep for awhile, only to re-emerge with a vengeance later down the line.

2007 Château de Myrat - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/6/2012)
– popped and poured –
– 375 mL bottle –

NOSE: very intense, and expressive; lots of botrytis; toasty; botrytis-laden marmalade; not complex; what’s happening to this wine???

BODY: intense orange-golden yellow color; full bodied; looks dark for its age (which has always been true of this wine).

TASTE: sweet; smoky – matchsticks; candied pineapple; dried apricot; moderate oak; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; less apparent acidity than previous bottles; this bottle worries me as to how fast this wine may be aging. Might have to change course and drink my stash of this wine quicker than previously predicted. Massive reduction in score from previous bottles. Eeek!!

B: 50, 4, 11, 15, 7 = (87 pts.)

Brian, I would pop another one. I had this maybe a month ago and it was still delicious. Not something I want to tuck away for 50 years, but still plenty of life.

Surprising, and hopefully an off bottle. I have a bit in storage but have not tried one in some time. Ironically I was at a dinner party last night and the host pulled one out (a prior gift from me), but I had already brought a more mature Sauternes so we held off.

When I first tried this wine in fall of 2011, I posted on it and freaked out over it as I found it to be astonishing for its price. Someone else replied that it was one of their top WOTYs for 2011, in fact.

Two weekends ago, I had it again at Mike Grammer’s Winefest and the only reason I didn’t rave about it as well was because it was sitting in the shadows of a great Suduiraut and a great Climens. I also wonder a little about its aging power but its never going to last long enough because it’s so good now so who cares? :wink: The fact is that this Sauternes punches far above its weight and is a fantastic value that is well worth acquiring. You can’t go wrong in acquiring it.

dollars to cents, I bet it was me that said that. hitsfan

I’ve tried this wine in 2010, 2011, and just now in 2012. Note below. Overall I think this has been fairly consistent. Perhaps moving significantly faster along the aging curve than most 2007s, but still very well balanced and moderately complex. I’ve never thought this was a superb 95+ point wine, but I think it is a solid low 90s point sauternes at a very good price that will drink well over the intermediate term (10-15 years). Not sure I would save it much longer than that. I have five more halves and will probably try it every year or two.

• 2007 Château de Myrat - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (9/2/2012)
    From a half. Deep orange-gold color. This has traditionally been advanced in color throughout its development. Nose of orange, hints of copper, baking spices, honey. Palate is medium density, orange peel, transitions to orange marmalade, citrus, cinnamon, spices, balanced acidity; finish has great spice and balance, medium length. In profile this is an intermediate style… Lacking the richness of rieussec and the minerality and acidity of coutet, but still quite good at balancing fruit with spicy complexity. This is a solid mid range sauternes with great balance and flavor that is very enjoyable now. Drink over the next 10-15 years. 90-91 (91 pts.)

Nice to see a better note on this Ashish. I was starting to worry a bit after Brians last note.

I’ve had 4 of these that drank great, but the last was 5-11 and I noted then a fall off in the acidity. May be time to drink up my last two.

Merely seeing this thread on the front page of wine talk turns my stomach. i think this wine may be going down as one of the biggest wine mistakes i’ve ever made.

I definitely wouldn’t say that. It’s a very enjoyable wine at a very good price point. No, it’s not going to be an exceptional sauternes, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t still at least a good buy. I would suggest ramping up your consumption to 2/year though instead of 1/year if you want to avoid a glut at the end of its window… it does seem to be moving on a faster timeline than other higher end 07s.

Wise advice that I plan to follow. [cheers.gif]

2007 Château de Myrat - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/6/2013)
– popped and poured; 375mL–

NOSE: lots of botrytis and concentrated apricot marmalade; golden raisins

BODY: rich tan-orange color; full bodied

TASTE: dried apricot; better tha last year’s bottle; long finish; low acidity, but not cloying with a slight chill on it; plenty of botrytis; a bit woodsy — cedar; 13.5% alc. not noticeable.

B: 50, 4, 12, 16, 7 = (89 pts.)