The lighter side of red Burgundy (Producer styles?)

Newbie question: who are some of the red Burgundy producers generally make a ‘lighter’ style of wine?

Mugnier’s Clos de la Marechale (haven’t had any other JF-M) and Chandon de Briaille’s 1er Savignys (and even their Marechaudes) are my reference for what I’m talking about: less oak, lighter bodied, more ‘elegant’ or ‘feminine’, while obviously still having layers & depth.

Obviously level & village determines a lot, but generalizations are what I’m looking for. [thankyou.gif]

Leroy comes to mind. Not so much on the oak part, but rather the elegance, which is on a different level vs. most producers. One consumes her wines as much with the nose as with the mouth if that makes any sense.

Claire Naudin.
Domaine de la Cras/Marc Soyard.
Bizot.

1 Like

More ethereal (I don’t like the term “light”): Jouan

1 Like

Pierre Guillemot in Savigny-les-Beaune definitely fits the bill. Bright fruit profiles, the Savigny earthy terroir, and pretty reasonably priced as far as Burgs go these days. And they age nicely, too.

3 Likes

I can imagine how non-wine enthusiasts would roll their eyes to this kind of comment so much they’d lose their sense of balance.

I love how different people’s perspectives on burgundy are! And I mean that without any sarcasm or snark. I buy/drink some of those wines and don’t think of any of them as particularly ethereal.
To me the easiest answer is more Mugnier - but have his Chambolle village or Fuees. Cooler vintages of Bertheau. Fourrier, depending on your views (I love Fourrier). Hudelot Noellat with some age as well.
If you don’t mind “sexy oak”, I’d even add CLB, which is consistently delicious and not at all heavy (but not light on oak).

1 Like

The 2015 Bouchard Père et Fils Nuits St. Georges I had about a week ago def fits into the lighter style (but I know nothing about the region or producers - just a data point for a single wine).

Good. If they fall over I get their wine.

1 Like

Do you feel this way about young Leroy’s?

My feeling is that due to their concentration/oak/stem treatment that they demand age, and that their young wines are the opposite of light. I will admit that my experience is limited, and I’m happy to be wrong.

I didn’t know there was such a rule!

Mugnier is a good call, but getting pricey.
Clavelier definitely chisselled and transparent
Domaine Lucien Jacob - all red fruits and fineness
Ghislaine Barthod if you can find them.
Bruno Clair

2 Likes
  • 1… rolleyes

I only tried Nadine Clair’s natural wines and I agree.

I only tried Nadine Clair’s natural wines and I agree.

1 Like

My #1 choice would have been Domaine Dublere. Wonderfully elegant wines that were very well priced. But, Blair Pethel sold the winery a year or two ago and retired. You may still be able to buy his wines around somewhere.

My next answer is Ramonet. Their red wines are spectacularly elegant.

Another under the radar producer you might try is Pierre Amiot in MSD.

2 Likes

Most on my list have been mentioned:

Mugnier
Dublere
Fourrier
Drouhin (only some)
Clavelier
Bruno Clair (mostly the villages wines, particularly the always lovely Chambolle ‘Veroilles’)

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d include Barthod. Definitely most chassagne reds and Jouan.

3 Likes

First, welcome to the forum. It’s always nice to have new people joining us here. I’d suggest that you check out Kelley Fox in Oregon. If you want only Burgundy, then I’d also suggest that you check out A&P deVillaine, Domaine de la Vougeraie, & Michel Gaunoux.

1 Like

My stock standard answer for this would be Hudelot Noellat. Most bottles, especially at the lower end of their offerings, have been very pretty and elegant to my palate.

1 Like