The lighter side of red Burgundy (Producer styles?)

Dujac also produces wines with an elegant, “ethereal “ touch. Lovely use of stems also.

[rofl.gif]

Imagine if you told the same non-wine enthusiasts they had to wait 50 years + before opening a bottle of Barolo as that was common practice in Europe!

[pillow-fight.gif]

Bertheau

If you ask me or Claus, it still is! [wink.gif]

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Really helpful. I’ve gone ahead and ordered some Bruno Clair, Marc Soyard, and Ramonet, and will keep an eye out for the other producers (I have had a few Hudelot-Noellats and really enjoyed them).

I would love to try some of Mugnier’s other wines given how much I enjoy Marechale, but it seems extremely difficult to get decent prices & allocations on his other holdings. One day…

friends,

Leroy and Barthod light? Not in my opinion. When “light” means “based on finesse” I am totally into “light”. I think a.o. of MILLOT, Bertheau. Their wines seem lightish but full of finesse; if “light” stands for overcropped (CAMUS???, sometimes Arnoux in the old days when Robert was still around. Sometimes HUDELOT-NOELLAT with Alain at the helm and only in certain vintages…)) count me out…

SINCERELY JOHAN

1 Like

This subject is as much about appellation, and even vineyard, as it is about producers. I doubt anyone would say that a Corton or NSG is “light”, while Chambolle-Musigny is known to be “ethereal”.

I think of Chambolle wines as being seductive and elegant, but they seem pretty rich to me. The appellations I think of here are more MSD and Chassagne Montrachet. Maybe Beaune.

1 Like

Obviously it’s all a bit subjective but I would include Drouhin Chambolle and Beaune wines in that category.

I wouldn’t have chimed in due to my relative lack of experienced depth with Burgundy, but Dublere was the name that immediately came to mind when I read the original post. Pretty, light colored, strawberry type notes.

In California, the pinots that remind me of Dublere are Anthill Farms. They seem to be gently pressed, very pretty and feminine in style. I’m not saying they are ringers for Burgundy, just that they’re the California pinots that reminds me of Dublere in a relative sense. The one caveat I’d offer about Anthill is that, perhaps owing to that style, they’re better in the first 5-6 years or so from vintage, and less interesting as they get older.

Bertheau/Hudlot Noellat/Chassagne Montrachet Rouge/Cru Beaujolais

Jay, I would assume you mean with some age? I find them a bit tough in their youth, but agree they blossom after about 10 years or so (vintage dependent, obviously).

Big fan of this style – I tend to call it “pretty, red-fruited” and most Burgundy drinkers know I what I mean. I’d throw Chantereves into the mix here, a producer I enjoy very much. Though word of warning: I had a bottle of their 2018 recently and it came off a bit more hefty than I preferred – probably a sign of the very warm vintage.

Reviving this thread to thank folks again for the helpful recommendations. I’ve now tried a few of Bertheau’s wines — Charmes and Bonnes Mares — and have been absolutely smitten.

Also finally tried Mugnier’s 2017 village bottling, and it was remarkable. Incredible lightness but full of depth and potential. Hope to try a Fuees next.

Dublere has also been a great find, if not quite as transcendent from what I’ve tried yet.

Thanks again!

Had a 2010 Dublere Savigny les Beaune Les Planchots du Nord a bit over a week ago that would be a perfect example of what the OP was asking about. Nothing excess, just pure elegant flavors. About as good a relatively basic Burgundy (villages level Savigny) as one could buy.

1 Like

Howard, I love the topic. For a bargain proxy of what you’re talking about I just drank a 2009 Clos Saint -Fiacre Orleans that hit most of the buttons I’ve sought with lighter-styles CdB wines (eg, Chassagne rouge) I’ve drunk. I realize that may be below your standard but having sold off much of my Burgs to pay for kids’ school :frowning: it’s a reasonable alternative!

Delete

Lafarge

Had a 2015 Nicolas Rossignol Bourgogne Rouge that fits perfectly in this thread.

Petit-Roy!