Okay Bedrock Fans - Force Rank the Heritage Wines!

Last night I opened my first Nervo Ranch, a 2018. After about 2 hours in the decanter, it was absolutely singing. It got me thinking, where does Nervo rank with the other Bedrock heritage wines I’ve enjoyed? So here’s my list:

1. Under the Mountain
  2. Old Hill
  3. Pagani
  4. Evangelho
  5. Bedrock
  6. Nervo
  7. Campagni Portis
  8. Lorenzo
  9. Dolinsek

I’ve yet to have Enz, Pato, Oakville Farmhouse, or Papera. (I’m sure there are other’s I’ve missed) And I will say, it’s a pretty thin line between 1-7 on my list.

For fun, how do you rank them? Rules - not interested in vintage, just the overall body of work from each heritage wine site by Morgan and team. Treat it as if you could only buy 1, which would it be, then rank down from there. And you can’t say you love all your children equally! Otherwise, it’s the world wide web, so no rules!

What say you?

Oh you know I’ll play!! Tough to answer though as its a really close call between many of them, and I haven’t opened some of the ‘newer’ Vineyard offerings. I will say that my first and last are very easy to rank though - Bedrock is the clear #1 (Morgan works magic with his own Vineyard) and Nervo is my least favorite by a very wide margin (disliked the 13’s to the point where I gave away the rest of my bottles/vintages).

Here’s what I’ve got:

1. Bedrock Vineyard
  2. Oakville Farmhouse (so unique and interesting)
  3. Sky Vineyard (I’ve only tried the 17 as a barrel sample so far but was so impressed it sits at #3)
  4. Dolinsek (just flat out delicious every time. And bonus points for being one of the few early drinkers)
  5. Pagani (classic)
  6. Monte Rosso (see above)
  7. Esola (was VERY impressed with a 15 i opened a few months back)
  8. Puccini (only tried the 11 so far but it was FIRE
  9. Compagni-Portis (gotta be my favorite domestic Vineyard for white wine)
  10. Lorenzo’s (the meatiest, most structured/potentially longest-lived. Can’t beat it when you’re in the mood)
  11. Weil a Way Mixed Blacks (tasty and also an early drinker)

-Middle of the Pack - Carlisle, Limerick Lane, Bella de Jour, Sodini, Gibson Ranch, Drummond’s,

-Bottom Tier - Nervo (easy last), Evangelho (never sings for me but the 15 recently was pretty good!), Sherman’s Gold

-Haven’t Opened Yet - Old Hill, Under The Mountain, Pato, Enz, Schmiedt Road, York Creek, Shake Ridge, Bien Nacido,

Pumped to hear what others think…but of course if they disagree with the above they will be wrong :wink:

First Growths: Old Hill, Bedrock, Monte Rosso, Pagani
Second Growths: Dolinsek, Oakville Farmhouse, Lorenzo’s (Teldeschi), Evangelho

The remainder reside at “third growth” for me, not because they are necessarily inferior, but they just don’t strike my palate in the same way.

1 Like

i agree with this ranking. Evangelho and Oakville may be “super seconds” but Old Hill, Bedrock, MR, and Pagani are clearly the front runners in my book.

I thought about using the “super seconds” nomenclature, but decided against it, despite the fact that I agree with you.

1 Like

My ranking would be identical to David’s, though depending what day you ask me, I might put Evangelho in first tier. The 2016 is an amazing wine.

You guys are ‘almost’ correct. You’re just a little too high on Evangelho :wink:

Funny, I agree on your top five and feel the same about the Evangelho. I like it very much but it does not make my top cut. My tippy top is Bedrock Heritage and Oakville Farmhouse.

1 Like

And that’s where we will have to agree to disagree. Or agree that you are clearly missing something. :wink:

1 Like

Like I’ve always said, along with being a gentleman and a scholar, Robert has amazing taste [cheers.gif]

Haha. You are now a yak palate, if we align!

Ha! Pretty sure me having a yak palate is something that everyone here can agree on :wink:

Lorenzo’s is absolutely on Olympic podium.

1 Like

+1 Doc!

Bedrock
Pagani
Lorenzo
Dolinsek
Papera
Monte Rosso

Agree with elevating Lorenzo’s. Slower out of the gate but my oh my after it rests some and finds its stride. One of the biggest surprises ever for me in last 10 yrs of wine was 2012 Lorenzo a year or so ago. I had some disappointing kind of lifeless Ravenswood Teldeschi from somewhere in the 2000s and it colored my thinking. But Bedrock Lorenzo’s is no opening band. Headliner.

Such a subjective question. It really depends on the palate of the person answering.

Has anyone had one that was ready to drink? Still sitting on '09 here.

Bedrock comes close but I haven’t had one as moving as a Farmhouse has been for my palate. Puccini doesn’t count Rich, it’s not a heritage.

1. No doubt subjective but this is pretty objectively magic.
1 Like

You know who I’ll come after if it’s shut down! [pillow-fight.gif]

09 is so good dude.