No one knows this wine? TNR: 2002 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Marc Colin Grand Cru

Has anyone had this? CT shows people own it and have consumed it, but there are no notes anywhere. We’re looking at a full cellar purchase which includes a bunch of this wine.

Thanks in advance!

Bumping up for another day…

Gonna ruin your cellar reduction stats!

I’m no help, but if there is a bunch of it and you like the cellar Otherwise, maybe they would let you buy a single bottle to try so you could check the value to you?

There’s no notes from the Marc Colin elevage, but three notes on this cuvee in 2002 with elevage done by others. The notes are lukewarm, which is surprising as I find 2002 a great vintage. A group of us bought a barrel of the 09 of this wine at Hospices, and had the elevage done at Dujac. It was/is terrific. Sorry, that’s all I’ve got to help.

historically this cuvée came to attention with the 85 w élevage by Leroy—a Parker 100, as I recall.

Funny. I thought I’d look it up and see what the notes were, and as you likely know mine is the only CT note (from 2008). Sadly, mental acuity seems to be fading for this 65 year old!?!

Alan (and Sarah), going back to Sarah’s original question. My quick reaction as I read this was to think the wine would be very good. Great vintage, decent cuvee, etc. But the three notes on CT read like notes on 2003. Hot, ripe, over-concentrated. Surprising.

it was the first burg that Parker scored 100. These were the days when only he and Tanzer reviewed burgs, Coates in England, pre-Meadows and Gilman.

Can’t find C/T review of this wine! What are you referring to???

Not that specific wine (see post #5), but other 2002 Hospice Mazis Cuvee Madeleine Collignon. Just CT that specific phrase and the three come up.

I bought the '85 Leroy version of this wine on release and have had it three times. Not sure if it is a 100 pointer but it’s a great wine.

I had six bottles of the ‘89 Remoissenet. It was quite good.

It was great out of barrel at the auction…what do they want for it??

With friends , I bought a barrel of this wine , 2005 vintage , elevate by Lucien Le Moine . A great wine , maybe the best red wine from the Hospices .
Today , the price of a barrel is astronomical .

Doesn’t the elevage make in big difference in how the wine tastes? I have had a number of white wines from Colin but the only red I have had from him was a 1999 Volnay Caillerets. I have found this wine to be more on the elegant side, interesting for a 1999, so it is hard to know how his style meshes with the winemaking of the Hospice, which as I have always understood it, puts all of its wines in 100% new oak. Obviously, Mel tasted the wine out of barrel and liked the wine a great bit. That provides a lot of help but it still describes the wine before elevage.

How predictive are wines raised by Le Moine, Leroy, etc., as to the taste of this wine? This is a question, not a conclusion. Obviously, the grapes were grown by the same group of people in multiple years and likely the wines were made in the same way. How much difference does elevage make?

Sarah has cellar REDUCTION counts? Having read that thread periodically I thought the count for both her and you tend to go the other way. [scratch.gif] Hard to imagine Sarah’s count going down during a year when 2019 German wines are being released. [winner.gif]

Like others I have had these grapes but different vintage and elevated by different hand.

Very good fwiw

Sorry, I know the 1985 and 1996, but not 2002 … and there is the question of elevage, too.

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the insight and thoughts. The rest of the cellar is not of much interest, but we’ll see if we can beat them up on price a little, or maybe get a sample bottle. Hard to know what the right price would be. Like Brad and others, the combination should be a good one, though that’s not a foregone conclusion.