TN: 2017 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis

• 2017 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (10/23/2020)
    Decanted 6 hrs. Being a 17, I assumed this would be an easy going GdM (especially compared to the brawny 16) but what surprised me was how damn gorgeous this baby was. The upfront nose surely displayed a more solar vintage as they call it, luscious strawberry and the like, but not over the top. But this forwardness was just skin deep, the palate, oh man, the most pure raspberry… crystalline in quality, I was hooked. Sometimes a wine just hits you right, this was upside the head, and I loved it. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

nice note Dale! Is making me thirsty and reminds me again to buy some Bojo to drink and lay down. How much more potential on this one? And how would this one compare to the more modest cuvees (Fleurie & Cuvee tardive). 19 is being offered now quite widely, pretty good year right?

I had this at a wine dinner with friends in NYC a year ago. Jayson Cohen brought it. I was so impressed that I went out and bought a case. I’ve had it a couple of times since and I remain very happy to have it. I’m interested in your aeration I procedure. I’ve usually just poured out a half a glass and then let the bottle and the glass sit for a couple of hours. And at the dinner, I’m guessing it was pretty much pop and pour. Did you taste it before and after you let it breathe and did you notice a large difference?

Hi Jonathan, straight decant with about 30 minutes in the glass before tasting, I think it was plenty of air FWIW.

Six hours in the decanter and 30 minutes in the glass or am I misreading?

Correct but I didn’t taste it until it was go time.

I have only had the 16, but if there was a Bojo to lay down, this would be the one. I think it has some old barrels for elevage, but it seems to impart a textural smoothness with zero taste of actual wood. In comparing it to Flurie and CT, it seems to have more structure, but they are all great! Love the labels too. I judge books by there covers :wink:

I figured this would start to shut down but i guess not!

It’s probably my favorite young Beaujolais from the last few vintages although I haven’t tried any ‘19s yet.

Can be that the oak barrels give it some more roundness and perhaps the structure you are referring to. I found an offer for the '16 in magnum, can be a very interesting one to lay down. at 67 euros not cheap however. Labels are nice indeed, like an old treasure map :wink:

I had the '18 of this yesterday and tonight. Not bad, but nothing special.

• 2018 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (1/4/2021)
    Look, it’s Roilette, it’s the Griffe, it’s good. But it’s not more than that, and though I haven’t tasted widely I just am not sure the 18s in Beaujolais have what it takes to be more than good. The obvious comparison is 2015. The 2015s could sometimes be too much of a good thing, but they had real guts and the best could really wow. Whereas the 18s I’ve had have had ripe fruit but not a whole lot else to keep interest - just sort of skin-deep with a hollow middle. (And the '15 Griffe, indeed, was better than this wine is.) If anything, the oak aging here probably helps things as it adds some spice and structure. Still, probably not one for the ages. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2017 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (2/25/2021)
Decanted 3 hrs. Take this with a grain of salt as I enjoy Bojo but don’t drink a ton of it, but this second go round with the 17 GdM easily cements as the best I have ever had or I have never had so much enjoyment from this grape before, take your pick. It comes down to the fruit. I have never tasted such clear cut raspberry in Gamay; some sweetness yes, but the purity, sooooooo good. Certainly there are some other interesting traits, soil, acidity, yaddah yaddah, but last night I didn’t notice or care, that beautiful raspberry core… (94 points

1 Like

Well Jayson wasn’t f*ckin around! He PM’d my around a year ago to grab this, saying it’s the best he’s had. I’ve bought every vintage of this special cuvee anyway since its inaugural release in 2009, but was not able to take delivery until December. It’s been sitting in stacks of cases in my office, totally forgotten, until Dale posted again. So I yanked one.

Wow, this is smokin. Easily the best Griffe du Marquis that I have tried, and I have had every vintage multiple times. Love the sappy ripe fruits so well kept in check with crisp, tangy acid. The raspberry note Dale mentions is quite pronounced, a bit on the wild brambly side too. Has that intensity and depth of red fruits that you see in another killer 2017, the Thivin Cuvee Zacharrie. Both major winners. I am ordering more. (94 pts.)

2 Likes

Ok I have to post this, kinda funny.

My lovely wife is sitting here drinking a White Claw on ice, out of fancy stems, just tried the Roilette and literally said, “ew, this is terrible”. Lol, awesome.

1 Like

I hope you’re happy. [snort.gif]

Hells yea, wouldn’t you!?! All to myself. She’s a wonderful cheap date. Well, everything else is expensive, but that’s besides the point. On wine, I’m #winning.

1 Like

Around here saving a glass for the second day occurs with the frequency of a blue moon.

My wife likes Blue Moon, too. I have 1/4 of the bottle for tonight!

I thought your wife was the one who made you buy over the top, overexpensive, Cal Cabs? A small cost for a happy marriage, but not a cheap date.

Nah, that was her being rather tipsy at Ovid and guilting me into dropping some coin. And of course, she got her six pack of whites as well. I still get cards from Ovid now, lol.

How’s 2019 bojo looking?