TN: 2017 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis

C’mon the search function isn’t that bad 2019 Beaujolais - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

There have been a couple threads on this I think. You might check out Wine Disorder for a bit of talk on this too.

Better than 2018 IME. Griffe is always released a year late so it’s not out yet. Late summer or early fall I expect. 2019 Coudert Cuvee Tardive is good, more structured than 2017 (which is especially apparent on 2019 Day 2) but not nearly as much as 2016.

I have to admit that backfilling Beaujolais is more tempting to me than buying the warm vintages unless you find that sweet spot like the 2017 Griffe.

1 Like

You guys are a much better than the search function! champagne.gif

Apropos of 2017 Beaujolais, I’m having the 2017 Thivin CdB tonight. Here are my impressions:
Man, this is good. Dark for bojo and showing super vinous and sappy tonight. This is also quite dry with some savory notes, giving this a profile that transcends wine and making it seem maybe more like a ‘curative broth’ or herbal tonic than vino. Light and bright redolent of cranberries and red zinger tea. Shows even better with food. Delicious.

Great note, Pat. Thivin slayed it in 2017. Loved most of the cuvees, but the base cuvee really is almost always the best play year after year. Glad you enjoyed it.

I haven’t had the Thivins but per Pat’s note I do think it’s the sappy and vibrant midpalates that have elevated certain 2017s like the Couderts for me above other warm vintages like 2015, 2018, and 2019 that come off more ponderous or thick. That’s just a generalization I know but I think there’s something to it.

I think that is totally true among the 2017‘s that I have had. Have you tried the Thivin Cuvee Zacherie? Pardon the spelling there, but to me this one fired on all cylinders.

Well, if the 17 passes the Alfert sniff test, I can rest easy knowing it wasn’t just me! Kidding aside, I’ll be on the lookout for that 17 Zacharrie for sure.

I think this was to me. No 2017 Thivins. Will try to source when I’m back in NYC.

I’ve only had the regular Thivin CdB and the Thivin Reverdon Brouilly before, both really good with the Reverdon fruiter in my experience.

Anyone have the skinny on all the other Thivin cuvees? Can they been seen as reserve wines in essence? Are they in different styles? Are they worth a premium?

There’s quite a few I’ve seen for sale, but I haven’t tried any yet (a few are shipping next week to try):
Les Sept Vignes
Zaccharie
La Chapelle
Le Clos Bertrand
Les Griottes
Godefroy

Based on Alfert’s thumbs up for the Zaccharie, it’s tempting to think of them all as a step up.

Zaccahrie is indeed a special selection; the others are lieu-dits distributed mainly in Europe I understand and are not necessarily a step up from the straight Cote de Brouilly that Kermit brings in, though some could be. I think I also recall reading that Kermit’s is the Sept Vignes, but I’m not sure. It’s very confusing.

1 Like

Pat -

Thivin’s website is quite helpful:

I’m just starting to explore the range, as these really are only more recently becoming available here in the States. Plus, the based CdB is so damn good, so some might suggest why bother. I have enjoyed the Zacharrie and La Chappelle very much, worthy purchases. Some of the cuvees have much older vines than the base cuvee.

1 Like

They don’t even show the plain Côte de Brouilly that Kermit sells. Is that just one of the other cuvees, or a special blend for Kermit?

Good catch, I did not notice that!

Here is Kermit’s data on the Thivin he carries:

Yeah, I’m trying to correlate that with the Thivin cuvees, but don’t see a one-to-one match. I suspect Kermit gets a custom blend.

One note: the Zaccharie is noticeably more oaky than Kermit’s Côte de Brouilly. Would be interesting to know how the others compare.

So, Thivin’s web site says the Zaccharie is the only wine aged in barrels, 10% new, the rest 1-5 years old.

I recently opened a 2017 La Chapelle…and count me a fan. I will be looking for the 2019.

1 Like

OK putting my money where my mouth is, just bought six more bottles of Thivin, including 2 x 2018 Zacherrie. While I have not been a big fan of this vintage for Beaujolais, a palate that I respect immensely recommended it just now.

You took that as a recommendation? :wink:

Lol, you could almost be a narcissistic as that country squire guy! It was Martin Steinley.

You are second, though, Alan!

1 Like

You guys truly are enablers! I have never tasted any Thivin, but when I saw the PLCB had the 2017 Cote de Brouilly, I was so shocked I placed an order.

2 Likes