Give up salt or give up wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Ammons

Re: Give up salt or give up wine?

#51 Post by John Ammons » May 16th, 2019, 9:21 am

I thought of this thread last night while I was aggressively salting the vegetables and the chicken for a roasted chicken dish. Then I opened a beer. :-D

As for giving up garlic vs wine, here's some garlic trivia: this ingredient appears all of one time in the index of the French Laundry cookbook. So you can indeed eat pretty well without garlic.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by David Glasser » May 18th, 2019, 5:33 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:00 am
Ok, gentle people. Enough salt from products that contain it in small quantities to allow you to live. But I suspect you will be giving up seafood. And yes, this excludes salty products like soy sauce and Cheetos
Flawed thought experiment.

That’s too restrictive and impractical to make giving up salt a reasonable choice. I suspect most of those who said salt are answering assuming a less strict reduction.

We use very little salt in cooking. I’d easily give that up as well as salty condiments before giving up wine.

Giving up foods that are typically heavily salted in restaurants and fast foods/processed foods with a high salt content? Harder, but I’d do it before giving up wine.

No baked goods at all? Cheeses? Seafood? Might be able to give up one of these for wine. All of them? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Ian S

#53 Post by Ian S » May 18th, 2019, 7:02 am

You know what seems to be impossible to give up?

Posting ludicrous hypothetical questions on internet forums. [wink.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] neener
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Return to “Wine Talk”