2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Al R
Posts: 53
Joined: October 8th, 2013, 8:49 pm

2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#1 Post by Al R » December 4th, 2018, 9:06 am

Just got my packet in the mail about the 2017 vintage release of Schrader. My window opens up on the 12th for a "Fabulous" pack with 5 wines: 2 2017 CCS, 2 2017 RBS, and 1 2017 GIII. $1125 -- still holding at $225 a bottle, and that's money well spent in my opinion. I don't like the $68 shipping charge or the sales tax, but that's how things go.

Still no Old Sparky. I've seen posts in the past on here about people being offered Old Sparky in their 4th year on the list, but this will be my 5th allocation to purchase and still no Old Sparky. My progression has been

2015, January: 2013 "Fantastic Four" Pack, $700, 1 2013 LPV, 3 2013 RBS
2016, January: 2014 "Fantastic" Pack, $900, 1 2014 CCS, 2 2014 LPV, 1 2014 RBS
2017, January: 2015 "Gorgeous" Pack, $900, 3 2015 RBS, 1 2015 CCS
2017, December: 2016 "Fab Five" Pack, $1125, 1 2016 CCS, 2 2016 GIII, 2 2016 RBS
2018, December (current): 2017 "Fabulous" Pack, $1125, 2 2017 CCS, 2 2017 RBS, 1 2017 GIII

That doesn't include various Vieux-Os, Boars' View, or Aston Estate purchases over the years as supposedly those don't affect the Schrader allocation.

I'm really hoping next year will be the magic Old Sparky year. I had some at a friend's house earlier this year and it was fantastic.
last name: arr eye ell ee why

RandyH
Posts: 44
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 7:46 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#2 Post by RandyH » December 4th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I’m a year ahead of you. First purchase was the ‘12. I was offered the same thing as you this year. No Old Sparky.
Randy Hart
Cleveland, OH

User avatar
Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 417
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#3 Post by Larry Link » December 4th, 2018, 2:34 pm

How did Schrader do in 2017? Is 17 considered a strong vintage in Napa? I seem to remember a smoke taint discussion, does the offer disclose when Schrader harvested their grapes?

RandyH
Posts: 44
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 7:46 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#4 Post by RandyH » December 4th, 2018, 3:26 pm

In the papers they sent they said “while many vintage history books will touch upon the late-season fires, our record books thankfully note that all save one block of our grapes were safely harvested and the young wines were in tank before the fires started.”
Randy Hart
Cleveland, OH

User avatar
Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 417
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#5 Post by Larry Link » December 4th, 2018, 6:58 pm

RandyH wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 3:26 pm
In the papers they sent they said “while many vintage history books will touch upon the late-season fires, our record books thankfully note that all save one block of our grapes were safely harvested and the young wines were in tank before the fires started.”
Thanks Randy.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7560
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#6 Post by Scott Brunson » December 6th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Cellar Pack (7 wines) plus Sparky but no Colesworthy.
I'm really on the fence.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

kevanmah
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 31
Joined: January 14th, 2018, 11:09 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#7 Post by kevanmah » December 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Cellar Pack (7 wines) plus Sparky but no Colesworthy.
I'm really on the fence.
I'll take it if you don't want it ;)
champagne.gif

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2000
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#8 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » December 7th, 2018, 4:54 am

Hard copy arrived in the mail yesterday.
2 x "cellar pack"
2 x old sparky
1 x colesworthy

Also have the ability to wishlist additional magnums and something called the "gorgeous pack" with 1 x 2017 Schrader CCS and 3 x 2017 Schrader RBS

FYI - (2-day) shipping to my state is $113 per 7-pack and $60 per magnum. And they charge sales tax on both the wine and shipping. So if I buy my entire allocation (no wishlist), my wine would cost $4650 and the SHIPPING charges will add another 10% ( $406 ) and then 8.875% NY state tax (where my wine is shipped) adding another $448.72. So almost $900 in additional charges. I've been buying my whole allocation since the 2004 vintage and I love the wine, especially with some age. But those extra costs are an issue and I need to think about it.

James Stolle
Posts: 37
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#9 Post by James Stolle » December 9th, 2018, 1:02 pm

newhere I've never had Schrader, but I plan on starting soon to try their wines. If anyone had to guess, how would you approach their wines? What I mean is, do I start with a specific year for all their wines or do I jump around and try to get their different wines in their best years? Is there a particular one I should start with first and one I should end my tastings with? newhere

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 994
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#10 Post by Mike Maguire » December 9th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Was on the list from 04 til 13, the shipping charges were the final straw when theybumped prices to $225. Love the wines, no regrets though.

User avatar
Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 171
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 10:13 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#11 Post by Mason H » December 11th, 2018, 6:39 am

James Stolle wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 1:02 pm
newhere I've never had Schrader, but I plan on starting soon to try their wines. If anyone had to guess, how would you approach their wines? What I mean is, do I start with a specific year for all their wines or do I jump around and try to get their different wines in their best years? Is there a particular one I should start with first and one I should end my tastings with? newhere
James - The 2012 RBS is drinking great right now. It can be purchased at places like Benchmark for around release cost (once you consider the tax and shipping costs), so it would be a good one to start with to get a feel for their wines.
Mason Hewitt

Kevin Patrick
Posts: 134
Joined: March 24th, 2009, 4:40 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#12 Post by Kevin Patrick » December 11th, 2018, 10:04 am

Regarding shipping, my offsite storage (Domaine) has a pickup and delivery to the East Coast at 1/2 the cost (or less) than the costs directly from Schrader. It's one of the few cost saving aspects of storing wine with them.

James Stolle
Posts: 37
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#13 Post by James Stolle » December 11th, 2018, 10:09 am

I see on KL a 1.5l for 700 bid but I’m not sure if I want to pay that much

User avatar
Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 348
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 11:13 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#14 Post by Eric Werner » December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm

My allocation included a new bottling from To-Kalon: the M Block, which is on the far western side of the vineyard, as part of a seven-bottle pack. I like that they are keeping prices the same (after the purchase by Constellation), but I think I have to skip it this year. House expenses, travel to see family, etc. I’ve been buying since the 2004 vintage, so we’ll see if I get bumped. Either way, I plan to drink a bottle over the holidays.
Last edited by Eric Werner on December 12th, 2018, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Stolle
Posts: 37
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#15 Post by James Stolle » December 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Eric Werner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm
My allocation included a new bottling from To-Kalon: the M Block, which is on the far eastern side of the vineyard, as part of a seven-bottle pack. I like that they are keeping prices the same (after the purchase by Constellation), but I think I have to skip it this year. House expenses, travel to see family, etc. I’ve been buying since the 2004 vintage, so we’ll see if I get bumped. Either way, I plan to drink a bottle over the holidays.
Is there a waiting List to get there futures?

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2000
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#16 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » December 12th, 2018, 5:06 am

James Stolle wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm
Eric Werner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm
My allocation included a new bottling from To-Kalon: the M Block, which is on the far eastern side of the vineyard, as part of a seven-bottle pack. I like that they are keeping prices the same (after the purchase by Constellation), but I think I have to skip it this year. House expenses, travel to see family, etc. I’ve been buying since the 2004 vintage, so we’ll see if I get bumped. Either way, I plan to drink a bottle over the holidays.
Is there a waiting List to get there futures?
Yes, there is a waiting list to get an allocation. That's why there is such a premium in the secondary market. It's not really "futures," although technically we are ordering 2017 Schrader cabs now for delivery next fall.

Mike Van1
Posts: 28
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 7:01 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#17 Post by Mike Van1 » December 12th, 2018, 6:41 am

Eric Werner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm
My allocation included a new bottling from To-Kalon: the M Block, which is on the far eastern side of the vineyard, as part of a seven-bottle pack. I like that they are keeping prices the same (after the purchase by Constellation), but I think I have to skip it this year. House expenses, travel to see family, etc. I’ve been buying since the 2004 vintage, so we’ll see if I get bumped. Either way, I plan to drink a bottle over the holidays.
The M Block, known as the Monestary Block, is part of the Mondavi owned To Kalon Vineyard. It is located on the western side up against the Mayacamas and just south of the MacDonald portion of To Kalon.
V-one

Steve Crawford
Posts: 554
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#18 Post by Steve Crawford » December 12th, 2018, 6:43 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:54 am
Hard copy arrived in the mail yesterday.
2 x "cellar pack"
2 x old sparky
1 x colesworthy

Also have the ability to wishlist additional magnums and something called the "gorgeous pack" with 1 x 2017 Schrader CCS and 3 x 2017 Schrader RBS

FYI - (2-day) shipping to my state is $113 per 7-pack and $60 per magnum. And they charge sales tax on both the wine and shipping. So if I buy my entire allocation (no wishlist), my wine would cost $4650 and the SHIPPING charges will add another 10% ( $406 ) and then 8.875% NY state tax (where my wine is shipped) adding another $448.72. So almost $900 in additional charges. I've been buying my whole allocation since the 2004 vintage and I love the wine, especially with some age. But those extra costs are an issue and I need to think about it.
after doing a quick google search, taxing on shipping seems elective by the seller.

Michael Fess
Posts: 397
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 5:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#19 Post by Michael Fess » December 12th, 2018, 1:01 pm

$272 for 3 day shipping to Colorado for 2-7 packs and 3 mags. Wish they would offer an option without wood, Vinfolio I believe is who they ship through and they seem to always be on the higher side from the wineries that use them.

Jason Petty
Posts: 205
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#20 Post by Jason Petty » December 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Eric Werner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm
I’ve been buying since the 2004 vintage, so we’ll see if I get bumped.
I doubt you’ll get bumped. I passed last year and received a guaranteed offer this year.

User avatar
Hank Victor
Posts: 95
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#21 Post by Hank Victor » December 12th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Larry Link wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 2:34 pm
How did Schrader do in 2017? Is 17 considered a strong vintage in Napa? I seem to remember a smoke taint discussion, does the offer disclose when Schrader harvested their grapes?
Extremely hot in general. I believe 85% of all grapes were already harvested when the fires were in full swing... Producers had a tough time keeping alcohol levels down.
Friendship, the sweetest influence -- ITB

User avatar
David Baum
Posts: 91
Joined: August 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm
Location: Carlsbad CA

Re: 2017 vintage Schrader Allocation coming up

#22 Post by David Baum » December 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Michael Fess wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 1:01 pm
$272 for 3 day shipping to Colorado for 2-7 packs and 3 mags. Wish they would offer an option without wood, Vinfolio I believe is who they ship through and they seem to always be on the higher side from the wineries that use them.
Actually Vinfillment. Picked mine up two weeks ago. Wish I'd known Bedrock did also as I could've grabbed that as well

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”