Pomerol recommendations

Hello, All,

I’ve just purchased 2x 2016 Château Gazin Pomerol from Flickinger to get started with a long-term project to put some Bordeaux in my cellar to pair with grilled porterhouse, which I have cooked on a weekly basis for several years now. I do enjoy Barolo and Brunello with steak, but it’s possible that I prefer Bordeaux, and I have it in my mind that I should start with Pomerol.

I can find 6x or 12x of 2010 or 2011 Château Feytit Clinet, or 2006 Clos du Clocher, 2005 Château Bourgneuf, nothing more at the moment. I’m in no rush and am happy to wait, but does anyone have strong feelings about these options?

EDIT: forgot to state the important constraint: I’m hoping to keep it under $100/bottle. I have a buget.

Eric

One thing to consider is buying 2-3 of several different wines instead of a case of one wine. If you are figuring out what you like and what you don’t, the last thing you want is a case of wine that doesn’t thrill you (esp if it means you have no more money in the budget for something else)

Eric -

Over your budget, but if you are looking at case lots, then you have the ability to afford at least one bottle of Vieux Chateau Certan. It’s first growth quality. While the vaunted vintages now push $275, VCC has excelled in so-called off vintages like 2011, and can be found for under $150.

In your price, I also like Chateau La Fleur de Gay and Gazin.

Buy a good mature bottle before you start cellaring.

These are excellent recommendations. I should start with samples of a variety of mature bottles and dial in what I want.

Perhaps, on the other hand, I should add an important constraint that I’m not used to thinking of as a constraint: I’m 50. It seems some Bordeaux could take 25 years to mature. Can I be confident that I’ll be able to taste things properly when I’m 75? (I know, that’s another topic). Can some or all still be excellent long before reaching full maturity?

Right now, I’ll respond by finding mature versions of Gazin, Vieux Chateau Certan, and Ch. La Fleur de Gay. Thanks for this help. I’ve been cellaring since 2010, but still I have so much to learn.

these are all excellent houses. Personally, I would also add in Le Gay, La Croix Saint Georges, and Clinet to your producers that you buy

Croix St Georges can be delicious, but it is also on the modern end of the spectrum, so don’t open it when Alfert is over for dinner.

I wouldn’t worry so much about the timing issue. 50 is still young enough to spend 6 months or a year sampling a few well-chosen mature bottles and then laying in wines for the long haul. Merlot is usually not as stubborn as cabernet, so, although these wines reward aging big time, it isn’t like buying a case of Leoville Las Cases that snarls at you when you walk by for 25 years.

Agreed better to have a selection as there can be notable differences in style.

It does seem there are a few late release 2006s knocking around, along with some more recent but not hyped vintages. Definitely an option to see if you like young or with some age on, or not at all!

From my (limited) experience, they made some very fine wines in Pomerol in 2006

Le Gay is one of the suggestions that immediately popped to mind. You can get a good number of vintages for under $100.

But start in the 2000s. Older vintages can be wildly inconsistent.

A few others have mentioned Clinet, and I would reiterate that. I would add Clos L’Eglise.

But I would do the opposite of the vintage recommendation and definitely buy a bottle here or there from the 80s or 90s. I have bought a lot of bottles from this era in the last five years (like you I got started late-ish to Bordeaux) and have found the bottles to be extremely consistent. How are you going to know if you like really aged Bordeaux if you don’t try some? 1989, for example, is absolutely stunning now in 2018.

It’s a bit of a challenge in your price range, but there are bottles out there. Sites like Winebid and K&L have many offerings, changing weekly. And one strategy to consider is to look for high end names in off years, and lower end producers in great years. With some patience and hunting you will find plenty to sample.

Or cheaper still, make friends with wine cellars or go to offlines :slight_smile:. Great way to socialize and try many different wines.

To clarify, I was referring specifically to Le Gay. It’s consistently excellent now. Despite being a Mouiex managed property, there weren’t many hits in the 80s-90s and there are some affirmative bombs in there. As much as it will pain Bobby Orlando to see this, the property really became a consistent producer of good wines (not overblown) when Rolland and Pelleriti started managing the viticulture and wine making.

Aside from this producers, I strongly agree. Find 80s and 90s bottles.

Gazin is a very nice choice, and have been making good wines for a long time.

La Grave a Pomerol and Latour a Pomerol are also good for laying down.

Thanks John. Glad we’re in such agreement!

Hosanna is one of my favorite finds in the last several years. The '12 is spectacular and the Cab Franc really shines through in a beautiful way - but a little out of your price limit. I’ve found some other vintages of Hosanna for ~$100.

Certan de May often represents an excellent value. I picked up the 2001 for ~$50 on WineBid 3-4 years ago, and it is very good juice for that price.

Eric… Lots of great wine in Pomerol for $100 and under, especially as a future. And there are loads of good tips in this thread. From what I hear, 2018 is super vintage in Pomerol. It’s worth looking at next year.

For more suggestions, you might want to read this as it’s reasonably complete for Pomerol Learn about Pomerol Bordeaux Best Wines Chateaux Vineyards Character

Many thanks, all! These thoughts are focusing me nicely, and I expect the same is true for others as well. Looking forward to the adventures in taste. I’d never thought of going to tastings, I wonder if that sort of thing exists in my town… Interesting.

Eric, not sure where you live, but have a look at the Offline board here at Wine Berserkers. Lots of events with friendly people who want to get together and share wine. Might very well be one near you.

I agree that if you are laser focused on Pomerols, tastings at wine shops are not likely to help much. Check the offline board, investigate tasting groups in your area etc