Master Somm Invalidation

https://www.guildsomm.com/4cb697f52c/discussion_forums/f/general-discussion/13636/press-release-from-the-cms#

NAPA, Calif. – The Board of Directors of the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas unanimously voted to invalidate the results of the tasting portion of the 2018 Master Sommelier Diploma Examination for all candidates due to clear evidence that a Master breached the confidentiality with respect to the wines presented for tasting.

“Maintaining the integrity of the examination process must be our highest priority, lest we risk diminishing the value of, and the respect earned from, becoming a Master Sommelier,” said Devon Broglie, MS, Chairman of the Board. “Our credential is known throughout the hospitality industry worldwide, and it guarantees that the holder of the Master Sommelier title is among the most qualified of all wine industry professionals. A compromised examination does not provide that guarantee."

The Board of Directors found sufficient evidence that the tasting portion of the 2018 Master Sommelier Diploma Examination was compromised by the release of detailed information concerning wines in the tasting flight. The Board unanimously voted to fully void those results to protect the integrity of not only the examination process but also the reputation of the Court of Master Sommeliers and the title Master Sommelier.

uhhhh yikes.

Per reports on social media, the MS who leaked is going to be removed from the court

Hmmmm…so when’s the guy gonna be outed here on WB??
Tom

I read that an “abnormally” large amount passed this year, is that true?

This year 24 passed.

So how many folks does this effect?

Sounds like the sumo wrestlers in Freakanomics.

everyone that passed the tasting portion, could be more than the 24

I do hope this person is ‘outed’ - if only to the MS community. It truly sucks for all of those affected that did not have any ‘advanced’ information.

The real question - what info was shared and with whom?

That’s why I was asking, too lazy to look up the exact number of people that had taken the tasting portion. I know 3 of the guys that were revoked, this sucks for them…

I know one of them and this was his last go for all of this. I can’t imagine working as hard as many of them have only to have it be invalidated like this.

This is really unfortunate for anyone who legitimately passed the test. That said, (and forgive me for stating the obvious) given the massively disproportionate number of candidates who passed this year, one can’t help but suspect that many may have gone into the tasting portion with some sort of information advantage.

I’ve always found the whole tasting portion of this exam to be opaque at best. I’m told that applicants never learn which wines they actually tasted, only whether they passed. There appears to be no predetermined number of attributes required to merit a passing grade, and the whole selection process is beyond arbitrary. Since there is no guarantee that the leaker didn’t leak info prior to earlier exams, ALL existing members should agree to be re-tested in a more transparent process with better controls.

I actually don’t give a damn, I just think this test is even dumber than a theoretical combination of the London Cabbie test, the (insert US state here) Bar Exam, and the Neuroscience boards.

But if they said a wine was like a theoretical combination of a 73 Lafite, an 87 Dunn, and a bit of 95 Grange, they’d probably pass!

The real question - what info was shared and with whom?

I’m thinking someone may have been tipped off as to which were reds and which were whites, but that’s just a guess. [cheers.gif]

Not to disparage Master Somm’s or their court, but 103 Master Somms in the USA? Who was the qualified Master Somm who created the Master Somm program and courses? After all the training and testing, who hires them? What does the diploma provide the successful Master Somm? I know dozens of Somms who work in restaurants and wineries but few get extra pay unless they are the wine buyer as well in restaurants. I haven’t seen ads from WS, WA, nor WE seeking Master Somms as wine tasters/raters. Is there a “value” to being a Master Somm? Part of the Court? Is it like being a member of the Masons?

Sounds to me like a good plot for Somm 4.

Maybe the gig was up when a test taker got all the wines right without lifting them up from the table.

Also —- how did Jay do so well at Heritage, hmm?

Nailed the Pegau?

Suspicious

:slight_smile: