Wagyu wine pairings

I’ve seen a few threads touching on this topic but not many really delving into the pairings.

Thoughts on pairings with american waygu (say, snake river NYS at ~8 BMS or so) versus Omi or Kobe A5 ribeye or strip?

I was thinking rioja (especially with some age) would pair well with either and nebbiolo might not be a bad choice either, especially with some bottle age. Any other thoughts? Cab obviously may work but I was thinking anything huge might overwhelm the subtle flavors.

The best pairing I ever had with A5 was a Benoit Lahaye la Violaine .champagne.

I’ve thought about champagne as I enjoy it with steak often, but lately I’ve felt reds have paired better at least with the latest ones I’ve had.

A sommelier friend of mine who works at a steakhouse here in Chicago swears by Auslese.

He offered some A5 if I brought in an Egon GK, and I can attest to that pairing. The acidity helps cut the richness.

Wow!

I never thought of that! [thumbs-up.gif]

Thanks! I will give it a go. Very interesting!

[thankyou.gif]

How is the beef going to be cooked? Sukiyaki? Charcoal grilled? Pan grilled?

Various methods; probably most of the time pan seared. I’m experimenting with different ways to prepare it.

Is it dry aged? If so, white burgundy.

So it’s American wagyu, which I think may be washugyu. It will not have nearly the same crazy amount of fat marbling as an A5. It’s has a relatively more beefy taste and texture. But still very tasty and delicious with the fatty components. With these, a mature or an aged Bordeaux/Nebbiolo/Tuscan/Rhone usually does it for me than bigger or robust whites.

What cut(s) are you cooking?

We had an excellent 66 morey & Liger belair Volnay that Ryan Curry brought with an A5BMS10 Ribcap I cooked up a couple weeks ago. That paired wonderfully! The sweet fruit and bright acid. Helped cut the fat but had the fruit to still compliment it.

An old Chinon or Nebbiolo would be excellent, though of course that is assuming a simple preparation.

If you read the OP, it’s various cuts of both American waygu and Japanese A5. I think burgundy with a little age might work, as well as lighter bodied village burg.

I concur ^

I think I read the OP well and found that it was confusing then (could be the use of your preposition “versus” instead of, perhaps, using “with”), but somehow it looks like it you edited since. No big deal, just looking to help with a suggestion here.

In any case, you asked for pairing and I still stick with having those wines that I mentioned earlier to pair with the American cuts.

I just edited it because I realized I didn’t put in the BMS for the American waygu.

I agree reds would work better with the American waygu.

For my palate:
Aged Bordeaux
2008 red Burgundy
An older Arcadian Pinot
Aged red Rioja

Does bms even matter for American wagyu. They can put whatever they want.

Yeah I suppose. My favorite beef I’ve had was the Ohmi/Omi teppanyaki cuts. Pretty fantastic. I have some nice ohmi/omi beef i’m going to slice and cook on the cast iron too.

I’m going to try one of the holy grail black waygu strips later this week; will maybe give some 13 ramonet red a shot

While I haven’t had the opportunity to try enough Wagyu/wine combinations, I have given it much thought. First, Wagyu and similar meats are very high in fat. I would have never thought of a white wine with beef until I had a slightly citrus, medium to high acid Sauvignon Blanc and found the wine cleansed by palate of the fat making the the next bite of food or sip of different wine, fresh and clean. Interesting that I could have three or more glasses of wine, an S/B and the other reds to get interesting compliments, flavors and accents while trying them at different points to see the difference.