Wagyu wine pairings

I’ve had real Kobe beef once, in Kyoto, served with a nicely acidic and subtlely complex sake that beautifully balanced the richness of the fat. I have no idea what sake it was.

I’ve had Wagyu several times in the US. Of the wines on the table, Champagne was a better match than young Bordeaux or Napa Cab. I think older or more acidic reds would match well.

A few questions about the beef itself. The Wagyu I had in US restaurants was excellent but not close to the melt in your mouth Kobe I had in Japan. Presumably related to the grade of beef? If I were to order A5 Wagyu to prepare at home, would it be closer to that melt in your mouth experience? Any recommendations for a source, or will any merchant selling A5 do? Any cooking tips?

As long as there is enough acid and some body, it’s largely a matter of taste. In addition to the wine and sake suggestions, I have often had whisky paired with top Wagyu in Kyoto, Tokyo and in Kobe and it can work very well for me, so long as there isn’t too much wood influence.

Check the food board as well - there was a thread on this exact subject started by Mark Golodetz, I believe, but it was back a ways.

Cameron Hughes started up a wagyu source. Check commerce corner, I think he has coupons.

And yes if you prepare at home it’ll be similar!

Thanks Charlie!

HI David - someone pointed this thread out to me…you are correct on the wines, you need acidity/tannin to balance the umami richness of A-grade Wagyu, nothing too youthfully exuberant/hugely extracted as it would likely overpower the steak.

As for cooking it at home, the remarkable thing about A5-grade (B-5, or A4 for that matter) Japanese Wagyu is how ridiculously easy it is to cook. Any good pan will do but I prefer cast iron pan or griddle (Keep it off the open-flame grill, of course). Just take steak out of packaging, pat dry, salt to taste (pepper optional but good salt like Maldon is recommended). Let it come up to room temp about 45 minutes, throw it in pan pre-heated to medium-high (no oil needed, the fat in the steak is all you need) and gently push down on top with spatula to make sure all surfaces in contact with pan for even browning. Cook 3 minutes and flip for another 2-3 minutes and voila!

Let it sit a few minutes, slice and serve. All of this is on our website by the way and the coupon code is over in Commerce Corner…would hand it over here for convenience sake but pretty blatantly commercial.

Thanks Cameron. Checking it out…

I buy the A5 Miyazaki Wagyu sold by DeBragga: