8-Decade Barolo Tasting- San Diego 11/15 @ 12pm

So I took the plunge and purchased a ticket to ride. I know the price is steep, but for education, right? This is my favorite wine festival in San Diego and each year they continue to raise the bar with these non-cliché tastings. I was told all wines were sourced directly through Mannie Berk(RareWineCo). Btw, has anyone tried the 52’ & 61’ Mascarellos or 71’ G. Rinadi? What do you think will be WOTN? Notes to follow next month. https://www.sandiegowineclassic.com/event/barolo-tasting/

Not bad for 395 bucks!

I’d go if I lived there, sounds fabulous!

We had a bottle of the 47 Borgogno Cannubi for my wife’s 70th last year. It was one of the original releases with the red cap and was quite the hit. Notes here:

Oh I would definitely do this. Please report back - sounds like a fabulous opportunity. And the price does seem quite reasonable given the quality of the wines and the limited number of participants.

Thanks for the review David. I’m even more stoked now to try the 1947. I assume the red cap is the original, and the black cap is the refill?

Nice line-up but note that the older Mascarello is from ‘another’ Mascarello.
WOTN? My guess is the ‘61 G. Mascarello. I’ve enjoyed this wine many times and if the bottle is sound it is a glorious wine.

Please report back :blush:

Yes, that’s my understanding.

The '47 Borgogno is really good. Had the '61 Mascarello twice recently. Once it was badly corked, the other time it was stunning.

Enjoy, some nice wines. The 71 G Rinaldi is a classic, very rare, and hopefully its a good bottle. A terrific wine. 47 Borgogno can be surprisingly good, have had twice (red cap). The 61 G Mascarello also can be very good. Very variable bottle to bottle, but good ones are really good. Have fun.

Any advice for preparing a '47 Borgogno Riserva red top? Looks like David double decanted and served three hours later with success.

Stand up ideally for a few weeks to let the sediment settle. Decant gently through a fine screen and stop before the real sediment starts to come out. See how its doing in the decanter. I’d give it 2-3 hours probably.

Stood it up for a month before double decanting to let the fine sediment settle.

I only have very few old barolos in my stash, but happen to have a 71’ Francesco Rinaldi that I was thinking of bringing to this event to compare with the 71’ Giuseppe Rinaldi. Has anyone tried the F. Rinaldi? The reviews are not as great, but I’ve had a couple F. Rinaldis (55’ & 74’) and they are awesome IMO. I would only do it if there would be a great benefit to the lineup. Otherwise, will be saving it for our next WineBerserker vintage Barolo tasting sometime later this year. Thoughts?

I signed up for this today. See you there!

I dropped off a 71’ Francesco Rinaldi yesterday to add onto the lineup. Two tickets left for tomorrow’s showdown in case any of you SoCal WBs are interested. I’ll post notes this weekend.

Recently had the 2014 Burlotto Monvigliero and a little confused how it ended up in that lineup… definitely won’t be WOTN. Wine was OK, but not nearly as good or early drinking as the 2013. Some say the Cannubi of 2014 was the better wine of his vintage and can still be found for $100. Lastly, and more heretic, I had a 375 of the 2014 normal and thought it was better QPR than the 2014 Monvigliero (probably benefiting from age profile). So all-in, the 2014 Monvigliero to me is just too young. For the similar price, seems they could have found better or more ready wine to include in that line up… All that said, I would still pay the tariff to go to that tasting!

When you get back before the '80s, I think it’s very hard to predict. It’s such a bottle-by-bottle thing.

Perhaps because the '13 got 100 points from Galloni and can’t be found?

Most likely the case, but still arguable as to whether that makes it right

Why does there need to be a right or wrong? It’s an 8 decade tasting.