8-Decade Barolo Tasting- San Diego 11/15 @ 12pm

True, the 61’ and 71’ look pretty formidable.

I tasted both the 2014 Monvigliero and Cannubi with Fabio at the winery last week. The Cannubi was definitely drinking the better of the two. Much more floral and the fruit was up front. The Monvigliero was dark and brooding but still balanced and long. Likely closed.

Given the rain and hail of 2014, which can be quite localized, it wouldn’t be surprising if the character of the two wines was atypical.

Good point, plus Cannubi is better suited to rainy years due to the sandy soils (less so in Cannubi Boschis). Burlotto’s holding is in Cannubi Valletta, though would be curious if it’s nearer Cannubi centrale or Muscatel.
IMG_6273.JPG

Where are the notes John??

I didn’t take any during the tasting but I thought the wines were all good minus the 1952, which smelled like nail polish and tasted like sherry. Giancarlo didn’t think it was flawed but it was the only glass I couldn’t finish.

The 89 was drinking really well and still tasted quite young. Made me realize my 2013s are 24 yrs younger…might need to buy less new Barolo and fill older vintages.

Fun lunch!