2012 Red Burgundy

I have seen a bit of discussion of '11 and '13 vintage on this board, but not much on the 2012 vintage. Besides the cries of ‘too young to open,’ I am curious of others opinion of the vintage.

I have thought that 2012s are good, but not as good as 2010 or 2015.

I like 2012 Reds that I have tasted. Its more rounded than the 2010 and more medium bodied than the 2015. But many wines that I tried recently looked more reduced or closed than when I tasted them immediately after release.

The 2012 Whites lack a bit of acidity and vibrancy. Did not buy many and plan to finish most off soon.

They need time. If you open 1er-cru or GC bottles now the wines can come off as hard and a bit brittle, given the few bottles I have tried. A recent Lambrays was tighter than John Paul Getty.

Interesting… the wines I have, which are pretty much only reds, I bought thinking that they would be more approachable than the 2010’s or 13’s–a bit like '09. Certainly, not opening any a mere 6 years out, will wait twice that, but is this not the general consensus?

The wines (red) were super-charming out of cask and when young and also right after bottling, but they have (mostly) closed up … and there was quite a bit of structure behind the fruit … they need time, I´d say at least 5-8 years for the better crus.
I like(d) them very much , much more than 2013, and I think they will turn out very nicely when mature …

Check out this thread from the Paulee tastings back in 2016:

Agree with those who say they’re closed. Last couple bottles I’ve opened have been super tight. I’m hopeful for the future.

I have opened a few, mainly villages, from Roty, Perrot Minot, Bruno Clair, Feletting, JM Pillot, Dujac, and Fourrier. Very good vintage, almost the density of ‘09 vintage without potential “heat”.

Yep. Had a Lignier 1er cru last night. Closed.

The vintage combines the ripeness and concentration of the 09 and the structure of the 10. For me, a great vintage. The 12 DRCs are killers.

The only ‘12 I’ve opened recently is The Roumier CM. Beautiful, dense, great floral nose, and certainly tight. A couple hours in the decanter helped it, but won’t open another for at least a few years.

I’d bet some of the Bourgogne and village level wines still start to show nicely soon.

I liked the few I had on release but haven’t had any since then.

I confess I don’t think I have tried any at least out of bottle.

I guess when we’re talking about Burgundy, we should define our levels. the DRCs may be killers, but I will never have an opinion.

My level is Bourgognes through Cote de Beaune 1er Crus, rarely anything higher.

Tough pieces of very savory meat. Bourgognes can be approached now or fairly soon. Chalonnaise, now and over the next 5 - 12 years (depending of course on grower and site). Cote de Beaune Village wines still pretty tight. Premier Crus needing 6 - 20+ years.

Dan Kravitz

2012 Chevys are awesome…

I was not a fan of the ‘12 pousse caillerets I opened.

In what sense, Michael?

These were from 2-3 months ago.

2012 Trapet Chambertin…tough sledding on night 1 with the new oak singing the palate. Followed it on day 2 and it had integrated nicely. Though I think it will grow up to be a really nice Chambertin but not an epic one.

2012 Hudelot-Noellat Vosne 1er Suchots…kind of a hot mess imo, showing heat and not much freshness. Definitely a disappointment considering it had a rock star showing at La Paulee a few years back.

I have not had a ton of 2012s, but I will say I think Jadot had a very fine vintage. A really beautiful Clos St. Denis and a very fine Chambolle Les Fuees are a couple of more recent highlights (recent meaning a good 3 years ago.)

Based on limited TNs (most older and not yet transcribed from my books- so not fresh on my mind), 2012 reminds me a lot of 2006 save that the wines do not have that punch tone of many 2006s. Mid-weights, fine aromatics and lots of puppy fat. With 2015 and 2010 so expensive, a good vintage to do a little backfilling where retailers have not adjusted prices. Also a vintage I think will come around sooner rather than later.