2012 Red Burgundy

Very light bodied, not much fruit.

I have quite a few 2012s and my initial impressions are that it’s just on the right side of being overripe, but a bit lacking in charm. So far I have actually preferred the 2013s I’ve tasted to the 2012s. I find them lighter and more ethereal, and more representative of their terroirs. They probably won’t be as long lived but who cares?
Of course, it’s still very early to draw vintage conclusions but 2012 doesn’t strike me as a great Burgundy vintage.

The 2012 were the most “charming” wines I´ve ever tasted from cask and right after bottling … !
flirtysmile
However, many are quite closed now … but the charm will reemerge …
Not a really “great” vintage (like 2005 or 2010), but a very very good one (imho) …

To me, that sounds shut down, Michael,
Probably best to let them rest?

I guess it depends on how you define charm. The ones I’ve had have been nicely ripe and accessible, but just a bit unexciting. I guess I like my burgs a bit lighter and with more transparency.

Perhaps, they never opened up, even after 3-4 hours. I have quite a bit of ‘12 in the cellar so we’ll revisit at some point soon.

Been cracking a few village level 2010’s over the past year and have been surprised at how advanced and fruity they’ve been. It’s early but I have a hunch 10’ may have more in common with 12’ than 05’ which is such a powerhouse.

2013 may be about the best kept secret in Burgundy. The mass of the burg buying population got biased against the vintage somehow, maybe because it’s uneven at the lower levels, but think this is a year where the Grand Cru’s will shine and be worthy of their price. Many/most 1ers and village wines will be solid and ageworthy, and as you say, ethereal.

I’m a big fan of the 13s.

First rule of 13 burgs…

I too quite liked many of the 13s I tasted early. And managed to grab a decent amount of some very nice wines when retailers closed them out. Now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if they eventually hold up to my expectations.

Fwgs had a bunch of d’angerville 13 champans for $70 which I bought all of. There’s a few bottles of 13 ducs at one of their stores in philly for about $120 left.

‘13 was my first La Paulee and I was very enthusiastic about the wines. Alan and I had a similar strategy - buy late on close out (and even now even more opportunities are showing up). I also did a good job balancing village, 1er and GC, a rare occurrence for me. Perhaps worth nipping into the village wines in 2019.