Piemonte 2014

Looking ahead to 2014, what are people’s opinions on the vintage? Seems like the reviews have substantial variability, especially in Barolo, with many estates not bottling all their wines. Barbaresco may have fared much better. Has anyone tasted any individual producers and can offer some feedback? I’m new to the region, and bought some 2013s but deciding whether to sit out 2014 and save room for 2015 and 2016…

Thanks!

I tasted several 2014 Barbarescos at the Produttori in June. They were very fine, and quite elegant. The dancer, to 2013s linebacker.

I am finishing up my report on what I tasted this year. Quite variable, some classic wines, a few gorgeous wines that really show who is rising to the upper echelons of production, and more than a few misses, though most of the great producers did reasonably well in the vintage, assuming of course that you enjoy the style, which is understandably less fruit driven, leaner and more austere.

Ashish - We should all wait for Greg’s report. But, in a nutshell, Barolo suffered two bad hail storms, which did not hit Barbaresco. As I recall, there was less rain in Barbaresco, too. So one would expect more variability in Barolo.

I tasted Cigliuti’s '14s next to their '13s this spring, and the '13s were certainly better, but the '14s were good. That’s the only side-by-side comparison I’ve been able to do. (Judging by Cigliuti’s '16 Nebbiolo d’Alba, that’s the vintage I’m waiting for.)

Please excuse my ignorance Greg, but how do I get your report when it’s finished? Do you sell a subscription to something, or does it get posted on wineberserkers?

Levi Dalton posted some brief notes on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjcrVsJHHMq

Based on reading Vinous, it seems like Barbaresco is more consistent than Barolo, though there seem to be many exceptions at the higher end of Barolo. My plan so far has been to hold off on ‘14, instead continuing to backfill 2006/8/10/13 where possible. I did snag a few bottles of the ‘14 B. Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo, kinda by accident, but haven’t opened any yet. I may jump in more if there are closeouts next year as the more likely in-demand ‘15s come into market. Finally, I will be looking for tasting opportunities!

Definitely let me know if you find tasting opportunities!

I’am going to wait for the 2015 Barolo vintage.In the meantime there ara plenty good barbaresco vintages to Buy from.
I did buy some Burlotto 2014 cannubi Monvigliero and basic Barolo, They were quite good.

I would be buying them if you can swing it. There’s a value in buying in all years as sometimes the “great vintage” hype can’t hold up to the “good year”. Look at Jim’s comment about the 98 deVogue BM vs the 99…the 99 “should be the better one” but clearly it’s not to his preference. I’d snag a few…especially if there are some wines you love from that region.

As more notes come in, it will be interesting to see any correlation between the areas most affected by hail with the final wines. From Levi’s posting, I wonder whether Brunate was particularly hard hit. He says it appears a lot of producers did not bottle Brunate, for example. He also says that Oddero put its Villero fruit in the base bottling.

I too was thinking of waiting till the 2016s. That said, how does one think about price increases between the 2013 vintage and 2015 & 2016? Retailers are further speculating certain producers could end up on allocation lists by then (and have no reason to fear monger given these vintages are not for sale as of yet).

Thanks for asking. It’s free, and of course you get what you pay for!

You can find it here: 2014 Barolo - Simply Better Wines

Greg, thanks - I really enjoy reading your reviews. It’s refreshing to read such a candid report, one that the big guys frankly are too beholden to offer.

Great, informative report, Greg. Thanks!

One question: When you say reducing yields was key, do you mean by green harvest or at harvest time? Did they know early enough how difficult the weather would be in order to do a green harvest?

Also, you said nothing about hail. There were two bad storms, right? Do you know where those hit?

Thanks Greg! Did you try the Giuseppe Rinaldi wines? Will they be included in an update?

Was just over there last month. I’m sure Greg will answer more thoroughly, but my impression is Castiglione Falletto was hit hard. Franco Massolino did not bottle a 2014 Parussi and Brovia did not bottle any of their Crus in 2014

well, there was cool weather and rain throughout the summer iirc, so dropping weak bunches in july and august wouldn’t have been out of line. The hailstorms couldn’t have been predicted. I think castiglione falletto was hit pretty hard and the few 14s I’ve had, I’ve noticed that those not from Castiglione Falletto and Barolo have been stronger (within the vintage of course).

Thank you David for the kind words.

There was a vigorous green harvest at most address right up to about a week or two before harvest. This vintage offered many cases where one side of a vine ripened well while the other did not. I was in Piedmont in October of 2014 and was fortunate to taste through both Barbaresco, which showed much more consistancy even from the vine, and Barolo.

As far as the hail goes, it socked Brunate, in fact hit most of the slop from the radio towers near La Morra on down, though it was not as widespread as 2002. I didn’t mention it because many producers either declassified that fruit or just sold it. They could really afford to layer one misfortune upon another in 2014 and expect to make good wine. Unlike say 10 years ago, virtually all producers are in the position, both intellectually and financially to make that sort of sacrifice today.