RIP John Trombley

For those who have been around the boards for a long time, John was the original victim of German Riesling Obsessive Disorder. He not only loved the wines and the people who made them, he loved the history. He was a big influence when I was first sorting through the mysteries of German wine.

David, that name rings a bell. Could you fill-in the detail a bit to jog memories?

Sorry to hear about his passing.

He’s Sweetstuff on CT, I believe. I never met him, but loved reading his notes.

Yes, he was a very generous and knowledgeable wine person, especially when it came to German wines. I met him at Mocool, on a number of occasions. His wife died last year, and he sent some bottles for people to taste without him. I know he was excited about future offlines, so his passing comes as a surprise.

So sorry to hear this. I remember him from the old WLDG days. He was so excited when he visited German vineyards for the first time and he was always willing to take the time to explain the mysteries of AP numbers to anyone who asked.

Was all that really 20 years ago?

Never met or corresponded, but regularly followed his notes and the occasional thread he participated in. Tremendous knowledge and willingness to share.

My first interactions with John on line were in 1998, so yes, 20 years ago.

John was a fixture on the original WLDG forum. He drifted away (for personal reasons), and then reappeared here and there on eBob and CellarTracker, with occasional forays into Facebook.

I will always associate John with an infectious enthusiasm for Riesling. I still vividly recall the Van Volxem tasting he organized one year at MoCool, though it had nothing to do with that year’s theme. He will be missed, but leaves a legacy of his passion and kindly willingness to share his knowledge.

I am very sorry to read this. I also remember him from the WLDG days, and I had a very nice note from him back then regarding my interest in Riesling.

Yes, I also think I met him once or twice at MoCool as well. I’m not 100% sure, but he might have been the fellow who generously brought a 1957 Huet one year. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Bruce

Oh no. Such sad news. In the last few years, he lived a few hours south of me (I believe he moved from Michigan to get married to his wife who passed a year or so ago) and I always hoped to share some Riesling with him but never got that done. We spoke via the web a few times over wines and Ohio availability. Loved his notes and their precision. Rieslings of course, but other wines too and even liquor. RIP. He will be missed. Thank you for posting this.

That’s sad. He was such a friendly person online and he had soo much knowledge to share about Riesling. Traurig

Tonight we should all drink a glass of Riesling for him.

Cheers,
Martin

John had a wonderful love of all things Riesling and loved his writing style when he gave a report online. I am lucky to be in Mosel the past couple days and will surely lift a glass in John’s honor tonight.

Tom

This is sad news. We interacted often in the old WLDG days, both online and by email, as we were both in the Detroit area in the late 90s. He was an interesting fellow - always kind, generous, unassuming, and willing to talk German Riesling in never-ending detail. He also had the inside scoop on German wine sourcing in and around Detroit. Like others, I only met him in person at MoCool the one time I went (2002 I believe). I have a vague recollection he brought a BA or TBA to the big Red Burgundy/Pinot dinner tasting. (Maureen might remember.)

RIP John.

Thanks David. Another here who never met him in person but knows that the world is a less generous, passionate, and erudite place without him.
Charles

I don’t remember although I ertainly drank with him plenty. After he got married he came to dc a few times with his wife and I was able to organize a few offlines for him. I am sorry to hear off his passing. i hope he got to enjoy all of his sweetstuff before he went.

Very sad news, never met him in person but shared a lot of Riesling experiences with him, mostly at the time when the Squires board were the must go for wine lovers. Tried to meet when he visited Germany but sadly the timing didn’t allow it. A generous person with a wealth of Riesling & history knowledge. I’ll really miss him. Vaya con dios.
Rainer

I remember John, so sorry for the news. I too learned about AP numbers and much more about German wines reading his posts. Godspeed John!

I don’t post my tasting notes here any more but here is the bottle that Charlie and I shared with a Toast to John.

2002 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese

An Internet wine friend passed away this week. Although I never met him in person, we shared many discussions usually about German wines. He took amazingly detailed notes. This bottle was opened among people who knew him and shared with others with a toast. AP 2 602 041 008 03. Bought on release at a local wine store in Moreland Hills, Ohio (since changed ownership and moved). The cork came out easily enough. Medium golden in color. The nose took a minute to blow off some bottle age, then showed nicely. A slight diesel note along with wet rocks and slight pineapple. On the palate, this has (presumably) lost a lot of sweetness as it has just a touch of sweet. The minerals carry thru but there is more lemon than pineapple. Lovely, slightly viscous texture. Long food. This would go with a wide variety of foods, but Thai sounds like a great match. No hurry of course here, but then I am reminded that life itself is short and we never know. Seemingly mature, it will take a long and winding road over the next decade and more.