Thoughts on 2005 Red Burgundy

Curious to see what Berserkers are thinking about 2005 red burgundy at this point - sipping a 2005 Ponsot Griotte as I type. I’ve certainly had a few that are drinking wonderfully (Dujac Clos St. Denis, Roumier Bussiere, Dujac Malconsorts, DRC Eche). But if I were to generalize, I’m not sensing as “great” a vintage as expected as I open these over time. Looking at CellarTracker, I’ve got 51 notes, so my sample size is decent (and I don’t get all tastings in CT). Am I just impatient at age 63? Thoughts?

I have done test drives on a number of village wines. They are still quite early on the maturity curve, so yes, I think you are impatient.

Every performance review I’ve ever had and my wife of 41 years would agree with that.

Bit too early for 2005 IMHO

They still need plenty of time. '08’s are starting to drink really well. Drink them while you wait Brad.

What I’ve opened in the past few months has made me pretty happy - some village wines and a couple of 1ers.

I pulled a case of Rousseau out of storage a few months ago, the CSJ (had it twice) is really super!

Drinking very well now really.

A Mugnier Clos de la Marechale on Saturday night was also really lovely.

More serious wines do need more time, but overall, I’d say '05 is an absolute top Red Burg vintage, and pretty much across the board.

Hope you guys are right, as I have more 05’s than any other vintage.

Paul, agree on the CSJ. Had it once and it was gorgeous.

big wines. Big structure and lots of fruit. A gentle 1988. Much more time needed.

Had a 2005 Roumier Bonnes Mares a week ago; I called it a black hole, with all the nuances lurking just past the event horizon. But even at this early stage it carried its tremendous concentration and depth with deceptive ease. So even though I’m not particularly experienced with Burgundy, 2005 seems like a damn fine vintage, and this particular wine should be amazing with another 10 years under its belt

20 more needed IMO.

Just had the 93, and it is just starting to seem “mature”, so I think 20 is a reasonable estimate.

Yeah, this seems to be about the point where folks often start to “doubt” vintages. Often it’s 9-10-11 years, but later for strong vintages. They just seem to have a period where the life seems to go out of them. (You already know this, but it’s hard not to feel the doubt). I don’t have any doubt at all about this vintage, but it may be a long time before it is borne out.

Drink 2007. Hold 2005.

I think a lot of the CdB 1ers are drinking well, with the exception of stuff like Ducs and Clos de epeneaux.

This. Jadot’s CDB 1er’s are drinking nicely. [cheers.gif]

For my tastings I try to avoid opening 2005s whenever it´s possible - most better wines are quite primary and still shut down … a lot of structure and narrow and “thin” fruit - but I´ve tasted most from cask and after release - they were gorgeous then and have plenty of potential.

Some Village (or regional) wines are already quite nice, but are still not really mature …

The best experiences I´ve had the last months were top 2007s …
For most 2005s wait until 2022+ … or even 2027+
(yes - patience !)

I find 2008s still closed and acidic. Only some BGO have started to mature IME.

I had an 05 de Vogue Bonne-Mares over the weekend. Tremendously impressive wine but needs at least a decade to get anywhere near apogee. An 01 de Vogue Amoureuses next to it was sensational and in a beautiful place: open, concentrated, textured, and exotic.