Thoughts on 2005 Red Burgundy

For me, the wines are still way too young. As a reference point, I had a Truchot Bourgogne Rouge this year that was finally mature (and really good), but all his other 2005s are way too young.

The vintage that made burgundy unaffordable and unobtainable. I hate it.

I’ve had very little luck with finding 2005s that are approaching drinkability, especially on the grand scale. I’ve had several of the wines above that I thought were enjoyable, but by no means were in a window that I was going out of my way to consume any more at this point.
2010s are quite yummy, including at the top.

I’m afraid this acidity won’t disappear even with more time. We’ll see.

Alain

Two great examples of 2005s that are quite lovely and expressive today!

But they’re both a bit more shut down, or at least seemingly less integrated, than they were two or three years ago.

I suspect the 2005s’ window opened briefly a few years ago while no one was looking and has closed, or is closing again.

I would begin looking at the best producers’ village wines in 2025 based in recent showings.

For me, the real problem with the 2008s is not their acidity, but a correlate: a rusty, evolved quality to many of the wines. My speculation is that malos were sluggish due to high malic acids (an acknowledged fact), and that consequently the wines sat unprotected for a long time (you can only add SO2 after malo is complete unless you wish to arrest malo); sometimes producers had to do things to sponsor malo, such as warming the cellars or stirring the lees. I find a similar quality in many 1996s.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. Simon Bize, for example, make superb 2008s which are really shining right now. Try a bottle if you have any.

For me, I plan to start trying my lower level 2005s in 2025, mid-level in 2030 and upper level ones in 2035.

nice to be young.

Recently tasted wines include Dujac Morey village, Arlaud Charmes Chambertin, Mugnier Clos de la Marechale and Gouges Clos de la Porrets.

I will go not quite the opposite way but a little bit. These were all drinking better than I expected and a couple were more advanced than I expected. I realize this is a upper tier village wine, 2 mid-ish-tier 1ers and a lower tier GC so it is not as if I have been drinking the creme de la creme but nonetheless I was surprised that these all showed a non-primary aspect of development to them that I was not expecting and was easily identifiable (good sourcing on the wines, etc.). While I have a decent-ish stash of 2005s I am certainly not waiting until I am 65-70 (no offense to those of you that are already there) to get into some of these. Find the right time and the right people and I will have no problem pulling corks on some serious stuff.

One needs to hope.

I tried a couple of 2005 reds last year and found that they needed more time for my taste but weren’t completely unapproachable. These were both village level lieu dits from the Cote de Beaune. One was was the Hubert Lamy Chassagne-Montrachet La Goujonne VV and the other was the Savigny-Les-Beaune Grand Liards from Camus-Brochon.

Ah what a shame that youth is wasted on the young!

Had a great Grivot NSG les roncieres recently. Still young but a great wine.

… and Grivot are not known for early maturing

All we really have is hope!!

I’ll be 74 when I start drinking the big boy 2005s.

Something to look forward to, along with a restricted diet and loss of hair.

Marsannay and village Savigny have been nice as have more accessible styles by the likes of Gros F&S and Vougeraie (village and 1er). Want to say I was treated to a bottle of Tremblay Chapelle a couple of years back and that was pretty great.

Definitely in need of much more cellar time. I’m holding mine.

WhileI agree most seem unapproahable still, one recently tried was quite aessible and lovely - Fourrier GC Aux Echezeaux

That wine has been amazing since release. Somehow it never shut down, and only got better.

Planned on opening a trio of the 05 Ponsot’s this week. The Griotte the other night was decent - primary and showing ripeness. We’re drinking the Clos de la Roche tonight. A whole different planet and stunningly good (interestingly, my cost difference on them was only $70 on release). Belies my “05 thesis” and supports the majority view in this thread.